Which bike?

Associate
So anyway, I have resolved to make the jump from twist and go to geared at the first opportunity. This is a little premature as I have theory test booked for tomorrow and am not doing DAS training until September. I am just trying to get an idea though, what sort of bike to aspire to. I'll be looking at finance deals but will hopefully get around a grand part ex for my current wheels (should be realistic based on offers to date). Not sure if PCP is a good idea but that could potentially stretch the RRP I could be looking at. Otherwise, I'm thinking in the region of £4-5k (before part ex) at the most. Preferably either new or near new but would consider anything that is likely to be reliable.

I'm basically looking for an urban commuter that I can have some fun on at weekends and on days off. I cannot justify keeping the scooter and getting a weekend toy and, to be honest, I would like a bit more power for the daily commute anyway. So what sort of bike would be a decent jack of all trades for these relatively modest needs?

I'm considering quite a range of bikes, including such as the MT 07 and other 600-700cc models but am wondering if this would be ott for my needs and too large a capacity may not be conducive to marital bliss (though I really want an excuse to get something in that range).

The CB500 family looks pretty nice and sensible but I'm also wondering if something on the 300cc range would be any good or if it is likely to disappoint pretty quickly. I prefer the naked look but the CBR300R appears to have the benefits of a relatively low new cost (the CB300F should be cheaper still if it ever shows up over here), good MPG and low tax. Not checked insurance but most of the quotes I have looked at are within about £100 of each other for most low to medium range bikes anyway. I gather service intervals can still be pretty short on some in this class though. Kawasaki Z300 is apparently one of the cheapest for me to insure, with ink still wet on a full license. Although nearest main dealer for them is a bit of a trek away.

I do keep eying up 125s for the running costs but, considering I am kind of bored with the 125cc scooter, I'm not sure these would be a good idea. Even the high end models.

tl;dr Spec me a relatively sensible commuter bike that you can have some fun on please.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
I like the er6 I do,the z300 seems expensive for what it is,I'd rather go for a zx6r? I commute everywhere on mine,and use it for fun,been utterly reliable

I believe I will be training on an er6, so I should at least get a decent chance to form an opinion on those.

You might be right about the Z300. Looks kind of cool (Z800 wannabe?) but maybe a little Michael Bay Transformersesque. Mainly just got my attention due to being over a grand cheaper new than the er6 with ABS and with cheap insurance. Also hesitant to go too heavy. But that is the scooter rider in me talking, who has not even tried a big bike yet.

Associate
OP
Not sure. Should have a better idea once I have ridden bigger I guess. A few reasons I am entertaining the idea of 300cc. Mainly due to not being too sure how to find a good deal second hand and 300s are a fair bit cheaper comparing new for new. Hopefully running costs will be a bit less. I gather from Fuelly that the Ninja 300 (so presumably the Z300 as well) is not exceptional compared with bigger bikes but the Hondas seem better in this area.

But you are right, I have seen a few low mileage bigger bikes for about the same or less. £4k seems like a good ballpark figure for a CB500F/X with a few k and a year or 2 on the clock.

Soldato
Z300 looks a great 1st bike to be honest. Will be more fun than a 600 as you'll be able to thrash it without getting into trouble as a new rider. People are too quick to jump to bigger bikes these days.

If I didn't do a lot of 2up riding I'd probably look at a much smaller bike.

Associate
OP
Z300 looks a great 1st bike to be honest. Will be more fun than a 600 as you'll be able to thrash it without getting into trouble as a new rider. People are too quick to jump to bigger bikes these days.

If I didn't do a lot of 2up riding I'd probably look at a much smaller bike.

2up is not all that likely to happen so it can have the most uncomfortable perch known to man for all I care and may even get covered up, if the mood takes me. My wife is accepting of the move to two wheeled commuting but has expressed a lack of interest in having a go herself. That is also a reason I am wary of pushing my luck with capacity (no whip cracking sounds at the back please :roll eyes: ).

One thing that does keep my eyes wandering back to the Z300 is that Visordown described it as a "traffic scalpel" and I do figure that it is possible to have fun on a smaller bike, especially coming from a more modest ride. But I do get where people are coming from with concerns of getting bored quickly.

Caporegime
You need to book some test rides on it,then try an er6,and some il4 600's and see which one feels right for you

Try the mt-07 as well,I've heard the throttle is snatchy on those though,and there's not much of a screen

Last edited:
Associate
OP
MT 07 will be pushing the budget some but I really do want a go on one of those. I gather they do not have a screen at all as standard but there are a few to choose from. There is supposedly a tracer version coming which may be out of my price range. I wonder what that will do to prices of the base model though.

Associate
Although it's kinda tame I can recommend the NC700/NC750 for commuting & for new riders it'll be exciting enough. It's easy to ride, bloody good on petrol, it has built in storage which I'm not sure I'll ever be able to give up and its more than powerful enough for the city but you won't take it to the track.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I'll have a look into those.

Hmm, looks like all the Kawasaki dealers within any remotely sensible distance have a pretty limited range of demo bikes listed. Plenty of time to keep looking around anyhoo.

Soldato
How much power does the z300 have? I think 50-60bhp is an ideal amount of power as a first bike, its what my CB400 has.

Enough that overtakes are easy (provided you're in the right gear, under 7k rpm there's not much power), enough to go 0-60 in 5 seconds (so faster away from the lights than 90% of cars) and be able to sit at 90 on the motorway, yet whacking open the throttle in any gear doesn't result in a wheelie, just the world going backwards a little :D redline (and the awesome VTEC howl) in 1st and 2nd is only 60mph.

50bhp, 120mph, 14k rpm redline, 188kg wet weight, 50+ mpg £100 a year insurance Only thing I'd change is ABS. Other than that it's a perfect commuter bike.

Although, it doesn't stop me wanting a 150bhp 1200cc v-twin :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just remember that a learner bike will more than likely be restricted to the hilt. Judging the ER6 on your experience on a learner bike may put you off what is otherwise a well sorted, reliable bike.

There's a reason so many delivery drivers in London use them ;)

Back
Top Bottom