Which bike?

Associate
OP
Visordown do make a good case for it. Not too many videos from English speaking sources (or with any commentary) but some Aussies seem to have had fun on it too. Low insurance, tax and respectable mpg. Possibly plenty of power for most of my riding and still enough to have some fun. Service intervals are supposedly pretty short but roughly match or slightly exceed likely annual mileage for me (though valve clearance is ever other service I think). Definitely one for the short list. Just a shame test riding may not be possible.

The Duke 390 looks fun as well and for a similar cost. Just not sure about the colour scheme. Nice to know some higher capacity bikes might suit though. Like I said from the outset, this is a bit premature. Theory tomorrow (should do alright) and training asap, then some test rides I think.

Soldato
I got a Suzuki SFV650 Gladius about 2 months ago, so far I'm really happy with the bike, the seat could be a little bit more comfortable, but it is not as bad as some people say, also you can change the seat.

Soldato
I bought a 14 y/o SV650S and I love it. Not only did it cost me £1200 for a bike that had 21K miles on it and different exhaust it meant that I didnt have to worry about the odd scratch or something happening to the fairing like it would with a newer bike.

I also rode the ER6 when doing my DAS and to be honest I liked it when I was using it but then when I had the SV to compare it to but was pretty crap tbh.

On the ER6 anything over 5K revs and the thing picks up a vibration that doesnt feel right. It also makes the plastic vibrate which sounds horrible.

Associate
I bought a 14 y/o SV650S and I love it. Not only did it cost me £1200 for a bike that had 21K miles on it and different exhaust it meant that I didnt have to worry about the odd scratch or something happening to the fairing like it would with a newer bike.

I also rode the ER6 when doing my DAS and to be honest I liked it when I was using it but then when I had the SV to compare it to but was pretty crap tbh.

On the ER6 anything over 5K revs and the thing picks up a vibration that doesnt feel right. It also makes the plastic vibrate which sounds horrible.

I have the Versys which is basically an ER6 and can vouch for the vibes.
You can feel it through the pegs and hear the buzzing of the plastics.
I have to strip the fairing off mine every 6 weeks or so to add little pieces of foam under tabs etc... to help, which it does but never cures it totally.
It's a good bike though and reliable.

Man of Honour

I had a new ER6N as a hire bike when my SV650S got rear ended and it was an atrocious bike in comparison.

The engine is a hateful thing and the handling left a lot to be desired.

Associate
OP
Theory passed. That's the easy bit done then.

The Gladius looks decent. I quite like the trellis frame look. Local Suzuki dealer gets a fair few lousy reviews on Facebook (HBC, if anyone is familiar) but it seems like a fair bit of bike for the price and be interesting to see how long they keep up the 0% deal. Is the lack of fuel gauge much of a pain to get used to?

Just noticed the mention of the R3. Does look nice. Short service intervals but not sure of cost each time. Naked version should be showing up with MT branding at some point.

Man of Honour
Is the lack of fuel gauge much of a pain to get used to?

Never a problem if you have a bit of intelligence. You soon learn how far you can go when hooning, around town or on motorway journeys and just fill up based on how far you've gone on the current tank.

Don't forget to reset your trip counter though, that's really annoying.

Soldato
Never a problem if you have a bit of intelligence. You soon learn how far you can go when hooning, around town or on motorway journeys and just fill up based on how far you've gone on the current tank.

Don't forget to reset your trip counter though, that's really annoying.

This. I get about 120 miles to a tank before I get the fuel light on

Caporegime
yep I agree with above,trick is finding out how many miles you can do from reserve to an empty tank,once you know that then you know how far you can push till you find a petrol station

I can do 20 miles from reserve to empty

for those with a reserve fuel tap remember to turn it back off reserve when filling up,modern bikes don't have one though,conked out a few times due to thinking I wasn't on reserve and I was

Last edited:
Soldato
for those with a reserve fuel tap remember to turn it back off reserve when filling up,modern bikes don't have one though,conked out a few times due to thinking I wasn't on reserve and I was

Ha, yeah I've done that when I had the Shadow. It's normally "wow I'm getting really good mileage out of this tank...*cough cough*..oh crap"

Soldato
Ha, yeah I've done that when I had the Shadow. It's normally "wow I'm getting really good mileage out of this tank...*cough cough*..oh crap"

25 ish years ago I pushed a sx400 6 mile home at 4 in the morning the thing is I stopped at the garage to tuck my scarf in before I set off :D when she started to cough I thought no problem plenty in reserve I must have rocked the bike side to side 20 times before I accepted the inevitable.

Never forgot again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Theory passed. That's the easy bit done then.

The Gladius looks decent. I quite like the trellis frame look. Local Suzuki dealer gets a fair few lousy reviews on Facebook (HBC, if anyone is familiar) but it seems like a fair bit of bike for the price and be interesting to see how long they keep up the 0% deal. Is the lack of fuel gauge much of a pain to get used to?

It doesn't have a gauge but it has a warning light, that blinks when it is on reserve (around 3.5L, I don't remember) and it stays on when the fuel is really low (something around 1L). Also the tripmeter changes and start showing your range.
You will have at least 40 miles range when it starts blinking.

Associate
OP
I know it comes as standard on a number of bikes these days but is ABS worth paying the extra for, when it does not? For example, it adds £400 onto the RRP of the MT 07.

I am, However, curious as to how manufacturers will deal with the mandatory ABS thing from next year. Hopefully the will not simply keep the higher priced model as is and phase out the one without. Seems to me that would put a lot of people off.

Associate
Apparently, you don't need ABS...

Until you actually need it!

My bike doesn't have it and I'm ok with that but if I was buying new or nearly new I think I would get it.

Soldato
I'd get it. It's a useful safety net and makes the bike more attractive to sell. I have it, and traction control, on my bike and whilst I haven't had to use it, it's nice to know its there

Back
Top Bottom