• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which brand CPUs does your company/employer work with?

Caporegime
Intel is used by most of manufacturers because of contracts and incentives.

There's historical evidence and videos on YouTube which supports this.

Basically intel paid the likes of dell, hp, etc to use their processors so much it essentially made the processors free.

So would you build a superior pc with smaller profit margins or a slightly inferior pc with higher margins. That was back when and was faster.

After intel killed off the competition through making their sales insignificant they managed to gain the lead power wise until now.

It will be interesting to see if intel pay off companies again to use their products over amd.

Permabanned
OP
Intel is used by most of manufacturers because of contracts and incentives.

There's historical evidence and videos on YouTube which supports this.

Basically intel paid the likes of dell, hp, etc to use their processors so much it essentially made the processors free.

So would you build a superior pc with smaller profit margins or a slightly inferior pc with higher margins. That was back when and was faster.

After intel killed off the competition through making their sales insignificant they managed to gain the lead power wise until now.

It will be interesting to see if intel pay off companies again to use their products over amd.

I think it isn't possible anymore because the likes of Apple and others already jump off the x86-64 ship to their own ARM RISC more power efficient solutions.
Intel is just an ordinary supplier today and if it continues like this, soon it will become insignificant supplier.

Associate
Whatever is the cheapest on offer.
It's crazy to think my place spend more on phones, without batting an eyelid, than on pcs, that get scrutinised.

Associate
We use a local company and for the last 15 years we've used them they have only supplied Intel. In the last couple of weeks they have started supplying AMD based machines. £150 cheaper than the Intel equivalent so it hasn't taken much persuasion to switch over for new purchases.

Associate
All dell here bar a few cheap ryzen laptops we had for testing.
until we can get AMD with the required support contract we will be sticking to intel. just handing out a bunch of 10310U based laptops for the next round of home working.

Associate
Intel for us. I purchased a few dozen mid spec machines during the summer and really wanted something like a 3100/3300x/3600 but availability was zero and was only quoted the apu chips which afaik aren't so desirable as the aforementioned. Ended up with i5 10400s which seem pretty ok. Shame though!

Soldato
As long as the hardware runs the SW the company needs with acceptable reliability for the lowest lifetime cost possible, no-one in a position to make such a choice gives a **** about the logo on the box, let alone what powers it.

Associate
So, mine works with HP machines - desktop powered by Intel Core i5 8500 class, and mobile with some type of Core U models.

I have worked with several companies so far and yet all of them used Intel processors of some type - be it Pentium, Core 2 or Core i-something.

So, what about yours?

Intel. Everywhere, server to desktop.

Associate
I have worked for IT MSPs for over a decade, and internal IT for a decade before that and have never seen anything other than intel in any clients PC or server.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Everyone in my lab has just been issued with Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 laptops (Ryzen 7 4900hs). Previously had Gigabyte Aero X15 laptops (Intel 8750H). The desktops in the lab (3 iirc) are all custom build 3960x Threadripper machines.

IIRC, the department switched all the servers to EPYC last summer.

Back
Top Bottom