• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which brand CPUs does your company/employer work with?

Soldato
Saw the thread title, came in here as it looked like a good topic to read........

For what its worth we have HP and Dell machines, both on Intel. i5 9500/i7 9700 is our latest desktop and Intel 11th Gen in the laptops.
Some HP laptops are fine 840 G5/G6. Some are poor, 450 G8, 840 G7/G8, 850 G8, and then there is the down right shocking pile of doo doo that are the X360's complete with self exploding batteries, soldered ram no upgrade path, etc etc. Our Team cant change the supplier but we have a slight influence.

......saw the last two pages of mud slinging etc, exit stage left.

Permabanned
OP
We've got a waiting list of outstanding orders, despite the contract. 12+ weeks last I heard. If the manufacturers are short of components, they're short of components. Pre-pandemic there was buffer stock in the UK. That vanished within a week of lockdown. They'd order large shipments and get a discount for them going via slow sea freight.

Which is why we looked at the AMD versions and took a couple of batches. As you've said, supplies on those are now as constrained as Intel...

The DIY market is flooded with AMD CPUs which don't sell fast enough.

AMD problem is not that there is not enough wafer starts at TSMC but the wafer allocation afterwards - which chips where to go.

The GPU market is bad, too, with 100% higher scalper prices than the MSRPs...

Soldato
Saw the thread title, came in here as it looked like a good topic to read........

......saw the last two pages of mud slinging etc, exit stage left.

You have to give consideration that a certain % on the forums, may come across as abrasive due to some condition or other.

A lot of my work these days is processed in the cloud. My laptop, and my expensive Dual Xeon workstation are mostly used as like a thin clients just to remote into servers and cloud services.
When away from the desk, I've actually been able to start some jobs from my phone, from car park etc., disconnect then reconnect to it when I'm back in the office.
Dev tools and DevOps/admin stuff isn't that demanding. I'm mostly limited by the server or cloud. Much of which we no longer host onsite.

Back
Top Bottom