• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which brand CPUs does your company/employer work with?

Permabanned
OP
Which part of no didn't you understand?

If you don't agree with someone, it doesn't mean that you have to mention "their posting history".
Because the forums are very biased as you prove it and not helping to reaching mutual understanding and cooperation.

If the market says that the AMD Ryzen is the better choice, you must listen.

Soldato
It’s irrelevant if Ryzen is the better choice of you can’t buy it. AMD have the capacity to fulfil what 30% of the market? Meaning the other 70% has to buy something else even if it’s ‘worse’. In reality Intel offer their chips at much lower margins to those willing to buy them by the tens of thousands per week. AMD simply can’t compete with that and it pretty much defines the ‘business laptop space’.

AMD are right to focus their limited capacity at the high end, high margin SKUs and leaving Intel to what ever is left.

Soldato
If you don't agree with someone, it doesn't mean that you have to mention "their posting history".
Because the forums are very biased as you prove it and not helping to reaching mutual understanding and cooperation.

If the market says that the AMD Ryzen is the better choice, you must listen.

Sorry, but why exactly do you need "build quality" for a stationary office machine that doesn't move or if does rarely?! :confused:

I prefer the performance of Ryzen that is much much higher.

In a word - irrelevant. As usual with your opinions.
As for biased, LOL. You're the one making sweeping assumptions that we've got people in an office building chained to their own desk with a desktop PC in a cubicle like it's the film Office Space from 20 + years ago.

1) AMD might be outselling Intel in gaming PCs and self-builds, but that's a niche in the PC market. The mass produced laptops with integrated graphics that make up the majority of sales are Intel territory and eats up all the 14nm capacity they can muster.
2) 85% of our estate (comprising thousands of machines) is laptops. That's increasing because due to COVID everyone is still homeworking. The office is still closed to the majority of staff and most departments were hotdesking pre-COVID anyway, hence had laptops.
3) We're not ordering laptops off Amazon or nipping down to Currys. We're an large-ish organisation and have a purchasing framework for a number of years which gets us a significant discount. The supplier do offer AMD laptops now, but didn't when it was signed therefore the spec states Intel. Also remind yourself of point 1).
4) 99% of our users run normal office apps or access systems via with a web browser interface for which a quad-core 15W CPU in a laptop is perfectly fine. Ryzen would offer marginal benefits if at all.
5) Total Cost of Ownership. Build quality is very important. No point buying a cheaper faster machine because "OMG Benchmarks R Betterz", if it breaks when used by a normal human doing their job. The ThinkPads will generally take a beating, and the software and hardware support is good. Less support staff needed, easier to build, deploy and maintain.
6) Stable platforms are important. If the manufacturer start changing component choices between batches it becomes a pain to image the machines and maintain them going forward. Remember, we've got thousands.

That said ... Lenovo do offer AMD options in most ranges launched in the last 12 months. I persuaded the bosses to get some in for pilot testing due to security and supply concerns on Intel CPUs. First impressions are they're decent so they'll be considered going forwards given the security benefits.

Permabanned
OP
In a word - irrelevant. As usual with your opinions.
As for biased, LOL. You're the one making sweeping assumptions that we've got people in an office building chained to their own desk with a desktop PC in a cubicle like it's the film Office Space from 20 + years ago.

1) AMD might be outselling Intel in gaming PCs and self-builds, but that's a niche in the PC market. The mass produced laptops with integrated graphics that make up the majority of sales are Intel territory and eats up all the 14nm capacity they can muster.
2) 85% of our estate (comprising thousands of machines) is laptops. That's increasing because due to COVID everyone is still homeworking. The office is still closed to the majority of staff and most departments were hotdesking pre-COVID anyway, hence had laptops.
3) We're not ordering laptops off Amazon or nipping down to Currys. We're an large-ish organisation and have a purchasing framework for a number of years which gets us a significant discount. The supplier do offer AMD laptops now, but didn't when it was signed therefore the spec states Intel. Also remind yourself of point 1).
4) 99% of our users run normal office apps or access systems via with a web browser interface for which a quad-core 15W CPU in a laptop is perfectly fine. Ryzen would offer marginal benefits if at all.
5) Total Cost of Ownership. Build quality is very important. No point buying a cheaper faster machine because "OMG Benchmarks R Betterz", if it breaks when used by a normal human doing their job. The ThinkPads will generally take a beating, and the software and hardware support is good. Less support staff needed, easier to build, deploy and maintain.
6) Stable platforms are important. If the manufacturer start changing component choices between batches it becomes a pain to image the machines and maintain them going forward. Remember, we've got thousands.

That said ... Lenovo do offer AMD options in most ranges launched in the last 12 months. I persuaded the bosses to get some in for pilot testing due to security and supply concerns on Intel CPUs. First impressions are they're decent so they'll be considered going forwards given the security benefits.

I can compare two systems:

my own Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 powered with Ryzen 5 2500U.
and a company HP Elitebook with Core i5-10210U.

Both are with 15-watt APUs but the Ryzen performs better with lower temperatures and lower noise from the fans.

If you put Ryzen 5 5500U (15-watt and much faster) in that machine, the HP will look like the most stupid product created ever!

Permabanned
OP
So you didn't understand a thing I wrote. Gotcha.

You have to ask the supplier for better options, if they don't offer.
Or return what you have over complaints that their systems are outdated and not up to the tasks.

Even simple web pages browsing these days is CPU-intense and pushed that poor Core i5-10210U to high temperatures, so that you have to listen to the fan noise all the time.

Don't tell me that AMD can not supply in quantities because it is not true.

Soldato
You have to ask the supplier for better options, if they don't offer.
Or return what you have over complaints that their systems are outdated and not up to the tasks.

Even simple web pages browsing these days is CPU-intense and pushed that poor Core i5-10210U to high temperatures, so that you have to listen to the fan noise all the time.

Again, proving you likely didn't read what I wrote. You might want to stop digging the hole you're in now.

Permabanned
OP
Again, proving you likely didn't read what I wrote. You might want to stop digging the hole you're in now.

You are wrong:

here:

Ryzen would offer marginal benefits if at all.

The improvements are not marginal, but very substantial.

and here:

Stable platforms are important.

Calling AMD Ryzen "not stable" is either lack of willingness to accept a changing PC landscape reality, or simply lack of knowledge.

Soldato
You are wrong:

here:

The improvements are not marginal, but very substantial.

and here:

Calling AMD Ryzen "not stable" is either lack of willingness to accept a changing PC landscape reality, or simply lack of knowledge.

I'm not wrong. You are not reading what I wrote, then jumping to an incorrect assumption.

Stable platform doesn't mean system stability. It literally says so after the bit you snipped out :

Stable platform means that if I buy a ThinkPad T14 type 1AA now, it'll have the same components in as a ThinkPad T14 type 1AA I bought 10 months ago. Therefore the same driver pack and everything else will work on it. I don't suddenly find they swapped the WiFi card or webcam and there's suddenly missing drivers meaning we have to support two different versions of something that looks the same.

Permabanned
OP
I'm not wrong. You are not reading what I wrote, then jumping to an incorrect assumption.

Stable platform doesn't mean system stability. It literally says so after the bit you snipped out :

Stable platform means that if I buy a ThinkPad T14 type 1AA now, it'll have the same components in as a ThinkPad T14 type 1AA I bought 10 months ago. Therefore the same driver pack and everything else will work on it. I don't suddenly find they swapped the WiFi card or webcam and there's suddenly missing drivers meaning we have to support two different versions of something that looks the same.

Well, but you can't expect thousands of your systems to be all the same specced. It is naturally not possible because the likes of Dell, HP and Lenovo may have different suppliers for its WiFi adapters and their websites do confirm that they work and have the necessary support software.

There are literally hundreds of available machines with Ryzen 5 5500U and Ryzen 7 5700U from these OEMs (up to 60% higher performance than equivalent Intel offerings).

The IT department's job is to provide support for normal functions.

Soldato
Well, but you can't expect thousands of your systems to be all the same specced. It is naturally not possible because the likes of Dell, HP and Lenovo may have different suppliers for its WiFi adapters and their websites do confirm that they work and have the necessary support software.

I can expect it. Lenovo and Intel promise it and deliver it.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/business/enterprise-computers/stability.html

I'm done indulging your trolling now. Toodles.

Soldato

Incorrect. There you go jumping to uninformed assumptions again. Jeez, you really are digging that hole with a JCB.

There's different model types within the E15 Gen 2 range. A specific model will always have the same WiFi card. If you're a corporate ordering batches of machines you get the menu of choices. The Mediatek might be standard, you'll likely pay a couple of pounds uplift for the Realtek, and maybe a tenner extra for the Intel.

Why? Some companies will have rules/policies on what NICs can be used. So you get a choice.

Soldato
Helpfully, Lenovo publish the specs for everything so I can prove 4K8KWTF is spouting uninformed nonsense. For the E15 Gen 2 AMD 20T8 you have above here's a list of all the models : https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_E15_Gen_2_AMD

Lenovo specify all major components at component level. The only variability you'll get is in keyboard, RAM and storage manufacturer depending on what's in stock. Those core specs will never change for that machine type. So for the one at the top of the list : https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_E15_Gen_2_AMD?M=20T80000AD

Soldato
It also still doesn’t change that AMD can only possibly supply a small proportion of the market with their fab capacity contracts.

What does everyone else do that needs a machine?

For the record I’m not some kind of Intel shill, I’m literally running an AMD machine at home and have used all the decent AMD platforms back in the day before they fell off the wagon. But I’m not some sort of illusion that they are going take over the world because they simply can not supply the product in the quantities needed, Intel still rules that roost and will do for the forceable.

Soldato
It also still doesn’t change that AMD can only possibly supply a small proportion of the market with their fab capacity contracts.

What does everyone else do that needs a machine?

For the record I’m not some kind of Intel shill, I’m literally running an AMD machine at home and have used all the decent AMD platforms back in the day before they fell off the wagon. But I’m not some sort of illusion that they are going take over the world because they simply can not supply the product in the quantities needed, Intel still rules that roost and will do for the forceable.

We've got a waiting list of outstanding orders, despite the contract. 12+ weeks last I heard. If the manufacturers are short of components, they're short of components. Pre-pandemic there was buffer stock in the UK. That vanished within a week of lockdown. They'd order large shipments and get a discount for them going via slow sea freight.

Which is why we looked at the AMD versions and took a couple of batches. As you've said, supplies on those are now as constrained as Intel...

Back
Top Bottom