• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU Cooler For Your Ryzen 5000?

Soldato
OP
Dark rock pro 4 handled my 5800X easily. Takes the 5800X3D even easier. You could try limit your PPT, TDC, EDC for a less than 5% loss.
I done it my old 5800X swapped into a mates PC who didn't want to change from the AMD wraith cooler (don't ask) and temps seem stable enough. I tell him often to upgrade his cooling though.
What kind of temps were you getting on Dark Rock Pro 4? Which paste did you use?

Soldato
OP
@Cadder incase you missed my edit above.
The DRP4 is a 250w capable cooler. I think the slim is 120-150w if I remember right. The wraith my mate insists to use is a 70w cooler perhaps?
The 5800X is a hard one to take at times. Great CPU though.

Thanks for that! I have both the DRP4 and paste in my basket and about to hit the buy button. Mine is stock but I can't be doing with those types of temps when rendering CAD images. It's a work machine so I need to look after it. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

Soldato
OP
I’d check out the peerless assassin, seems very good for 35 quid.

Thanks for that, I watched the video but I'm not convinced. DRP4 has a decent record so I'm happy to pay the extra. As it's a work machine I don't want to cheap out on it.

Soldato
OP
Just remember its a chunky boy. Needs loads of room for it! Takes up a fair bit of space in my Lancool II case.

My case is a Fractal Meshify C so should fit unless I'm mistaken. The DRP4 wasn't showing as in stock on OCUK so I was leaning towards the Brocken 4, then I searched again for the DRP4 and it was in stock so ordered!

Thanks all for your help. I'm glad it didn't take me too long to sort, I was about to start looking at AIOs - just to complicate things further!

Soldato
OP
y4mJo2c_vtw7MluyX6UY-7p1h5j989k7NktU13EfBVT04ptae8Zbem7wPtM2t8Xc38-jYwYBWJ2lsvcx1-P9VXAo_ntpPuN1fpM9YT37PRV_tvK0Da5nbS4lYUAQ68jWlXFsUSe88TAPaUf4WndeviWPjjJ7ehbuYRrsJEqZ74TMGO4mPILDyR-N_X03bY6b6zb
I purchased one of those IT Dusters (original) for £40 and tried it out today - hugely impressed! My PC has been long overdue a good clean out.
I've tried another CAD rendering, although this project is simpler than the one I was working with when I had the above temps. For reference, it's now at (Max.):
CPU - 80.4
CPU Die - 80.1
CPU CCD1 - 81.0
Core Temps - 80.0

Once I've finished this job I'll try opening the other and rendering again to test out the CPU temps. It's all trivial really as I'm just seeing what improvements a good dusting gives before I swap the DR Slim for the incoming DRP4.

Soldato
OP
Looking inside the case with the Dark Rock Slim, it appears my 3080 FE blows up into the CPU cooler fan. It'll blow directly on to one stack of fins of the DRP4. A front fan will suck the rest of that GPU air in. A rear fan (instead of front) would hopefully pull it all through and out the back of the PC.

Well, now a thought is occurring - should I send this back and buy an AIO so I'm not pushing hot air into my CPU cooler. Easy option would be just fit this and get on with life. Any more delays and I'll probably be on my next new build!

Edit: I did see a video where the clashing part of the front fan sits cosily between the RAM sticks. Tempted to see if that's how mine will be since they're not particularly tall sticks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom