Which Docker containers are you using?

Associate
... the £99 HP N36L/Dell server deals deals to be things before UnRAID really got a wider audience.

This is why I haven't upgraded the from the T20 for so so long... It was just so cheap! I keep waiting for something for a similar price to come along, bit I think it's a fruitless wait

Soldato
This is why I haven't upgraded the from the T20 for so so long... It was just so cheap! I keep waiting for something for a similar price to come along, bit I think it's a fruitless wait

Those were indeed good times, sadly unlikely to be repeated in the foreseeable future, at least on new hardware.

Associate
Those were indeed good times, sadly unlikely to be repeated in the foreseeable future, at least on new hardware.

Yeah. I want to upgrade my array and sort of feel that it may be time to stick the drives in something new this time. The HPE MicroServer 10 Plus looks nice. I love how small it is (I don't have a huge spot for it) but that size means the lack of PCI-E slots is on the edge of problematic. Add in the fact that there's no 10g port onboard and it's all very tight on specs. UnRAID, for instance, would need a USB SSD as a cache if a 10g card went in the single PCI-E slot :(

Associate
My NUC runs proxmox and has the following

fireflyiii (finance)

Is this any good? I have about 30 bank accounts/card so can I just import all the csvs every few months and have it so all the rest? Most personal finance/wealth management apps/sheets I find don't work well unless you only have like one current account and one credit card.

Associate
Docker

plex
openvpn
speedtest-tracker
darkstat
seafile (haven't got working on unraid yet)
tautuilli
radarr
sonarr
rutorrent x 5
calibre
dropbox
get-iplater
handbrake
krusader
qdirstat

Associate
SpaceInvaderOne is indeed fantastic, and his videos are done of the very best UnRAID documentation around. He also wrote the macinabox docker.

I've used Macinabox quite a bit... Actually I've used OSX on UnRAID quite a bit. I've used Macinabox just twice, as it's simply an installer. Once OSX is installed it's like any other VM.

Why do you want 60fps at 4K? If to watch videos, you're better off with Plex, if gaming you're better off with steam link / shield etc. There are lots of apps to let you remote in - VNC, TeamViewer, Google Chrome, Log Me In, Apple Remote Desktop, etc etc - anything made to log you into a Mac, but they don't tend to specifically target high framerates as far as I know

I mentioned 4k 60fps not because I want to watch videos or game on the VM, as you say I would use Plex for films and a dedicated pc for games. I just meant for a "native" desktop experience with Mac Os as an example.

I'm sure 30fps would be ok for desktop use im sure, and I suppose I could just drop the resolution when messing around in a VM of OSx or Linux or whatever.

Glad I found that channel before I even start that's for sure!

Cheers

Soldato
Is this any good? I have about 30 bank accounts/card so can I just import all the csvs every few months and have it so all the rest? Most personal finance/wealth management apps/sheets I find don't work well unless you only have like one current account and one credit card.

Yeah there is a csv import tool but I haven't used it personally. I mostly use it to keep track of bills etc, for example I can tag every transaction for the car and keep track of the running costs.

Associate
Unraid dockers:

Linuxserver/SWAG
Linuxserver/Heimdall
Linuxserver/Plex
Binhex/Deluge
Binhex/Radarr
Binhex/Sonarr
Binhex/Krusader
Bitwardenrs
Tautulli
CSGO dedicated server

Raspberry Pi docker:
Pihole

I've been watching a load of SpaceinvaderOne videos on youtube. He has basically all the above in tutotorials. Im sure some of you set up your Unraids based on his haha.

SpaceInvaderOne is indeed fantastic, and his videos are done of the very best UnRAID documentation around.

I don’t think anybody who uses UnRaid will be where they are now without SpaceInvaderOne.

+1 for SpaceInvaderOne. Makes it look so easy especially for beginners who would likely find the usual expert advice around too cryptic and daunting (been there :p).

Also recently stumbled another channel for unraid tutorials, ibracorp. Interesting content, different to SpaceInvaderOne's. Worth checking out.

Soldato
dockers.jpg[img]
Dockers.jpg
dockers.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just set up my Unraid with a 10105/Asrock B460M/16GB/14TB Parity array in a MiniITX Node 304 box and dipping my toes into getting it all set up as a Media server, and about to get my head around VPN's and stuff with SpaceInvaderOnes videos. So this thread is very useful for navigating potential docker apps.

Soldato
portainer.png

I've made a few changes. I ditched the native installs of Plex and Emby, and added them into Docker with QSV/VAAPI passthrough. It's working perfectly and in some ways, ironically, better/quieter than native. I assume something with Synology's apps adds activity, as the drives crunched and churned way more before I switched them to Docker - Plex especially. Flawless playback, light and fast to load. I also ditched the Synology Docker UI in favour of Docker Compose over CLI with Portainer for when I absolutely must use a GUI. Again, a massive speed up without having to wait on the Synology webUI. Nice as it is, it's slow, especially on my lowly DS218+ with 8GB RAM.

It's a huge improvement all around, from a user perspective. Now instead of having to update containers the 'easy' way in Synology DSM (stop container, clear container, update image, restart container) it's just:

'docker-compose pull; sleep 30; docker-compose down; sleep 10; docker-compose up -d'

I aliased it to dup (docker update) in .zshrc for maximum laziness. :D Way faster.

Soldato
There's some updates to portainer and nginx proxy manager if anyone likes updating their containers. :p

Don't worry, Watchtower will email me about it having completed them later. :D

With watchtower you can update the running version of your containerized app simply by pushing a new image to the Docker Hub or your own image registry. Watchtower will pull down your new image, gracefully shut down your existing container and restart it with the same options that were used when it was deployed initially. Run the watchtower container with the following command:

Code:
version: "3"
services:
  watchtower:
    restart: always
    image: containrrr/watchtower
    container_name: watchtower
    environment:
      TZ: Europe/London
      WATCHTOWER_CLEANUP: 'TRUE'
      WATCHTOWER_ROLLING_RESTART: 'TRUE'
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATIONS: email
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL_FROM: [email protected]
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL_TO: [email protected]
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL_SERVER: smtp.my.domain
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL_SERVER_PORT: 587
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL_SERVER_USER: [email protected]
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL_SERVER_PASSWORD: abcd-efgh-ijkl
      WATCHTOWER_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL_DELAY: 2
    volumes:
      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

Soldato
I would rather manually do them for if there is any reason there is issues I don't want automatic updates.

I used to be the same, with a monthly patch day. Cattle, not pets... With updates coming out for at least one or two of my containers almost daily, it's easier to have Watchtower (post above amended btw) sort it out and fix the odd regression every few months, than have to deal with a couple of dozen container updates a couple of times a week or whatever. If there was any real issue Watchtower would email you about it in real time anyway, enabling just as fast troubleshooting/fixing. Of course, reviewing changelogs in advance is never a bad practice. Choose your poison and all that. :)

Back
Top Bottom