• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Which is the better visual upgrade, HDR 10 or Ray Tracing?

Which is the better visual upgrade, HDR 10 or Ray Tracing?

• HDR 10

Votes: 95 65.1%
  • Ray Tracing

Votes: 51 34.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Proper RT isn't overhyped at all - the current incarnations though are lacking and limited.

When we have implementations that can move away from traditional techniques and use a full range of scattered/bounce light, refraction and caustics, etc. today's games will quickly look decidedly dated.

!RemindMe 5years

Soldato
But it doesn't work properly in exclusive fullscreen :(

Fullscreen with HDR switched off - looks ok
Borderless window with HDR switched off - looks ok

Fullscreen with HDR switched on - looks grey and washed out
Borderless window with HDR switched on - looks like HDR

Edit: I wonder if it's something to do with the uplay overlay
Interesting, I've never experienced that, but if it works for you that way then go for it. Did you try both auto & HDR10 in the video section of the game?

TD2 and HDR is a bit of a pain to get working properly - definitely overlay stuff can cause issues.
Honestly it's the first time I'm hearing about people having issues with HDR in TD2. The beautiful thing with Ubi games is that usually you can just enabled them in-game and they just work. You still have to do the HDR calibration but that's more fine-tuning than if it works or not.

I think people like Poneros are wrong and in fact its software bugs.
Again, I've never had any issues myself, and I've also set it up on multiple other PCs for other people and it all went without a hitch. If there's something else on your end, software etc, that's interfering with it - then I obviously can't comment on it because I haven't seen your setup. I've tested it both fullscreen exclusive, and borderless w/ HDR activated in windows, both with uplay overlay on and off, and again - no issues in any of those configurations.

Mind you, this is DX12 only, I never touched DX11 & it's all been on AMD cards (Polaris, Vega, and now RDNA 2).

Man of Honour
Honestly it's the first time I'm hearing about people having issues with HDR in TD2. The beautiful thing with Ubi games is that usually you can just enabled them in-game and they just work. You still have to do the HDR calibration but that's more fine-tuning than if it works or not.

Think someone mentioned it but it is one of those things that for some reason works absolutely fine for some people and absolutely doesn't want to work for others with no rhyme or reason.

IIRC I tried it with the beta, don't think it was the free weekend - so might have been why I had problems with it but other people have reported same kind of issues more recently - I don't own the game as I didn't get on with it - really hate what they've done to the movement and changing some mechanics around just so they can call them new while not fixing a lot of bugs.

Soldato
Think someone mentioned it but it is one of those things that for some reason works absolutely fine for some people and absolutely doesn't want to work for others with no rhyme or reason.

IIRC I tried it with the beta, don't think it was the free weekend - so might have been why I had problems with it but other people have reported same kind of issues more recently - I don't own the game as I didn't get on with it - really hate what they've done to the movement and changing some mechanics around just so they can call them new while not fixing a lot of bugs.
That's a shame, I can say I absolutely love this game. Surprisingly bug-free as well in my case. In TD1 I had more crashes in that game than in all my ~30 years of gaming history put together, it was that bad, but I still had to see it through. :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Proper RT isn't overhyped at all - the current incarnations though are lacking and limited.

When we have implementations that can move away from traditional techniques and use a full range of scattered/bounce light, refraction and caustics, etc. today's games will quickly look decidedly dated.
So in 5-10 years then? :p

Soldato
That's good to hear, I wonder what the common factor is... Maybe switching to windowed mode lets Windows take over driving the HDR or so.

Will have a further play with disabling overlays etc when I get a chance. Out of interest, what gpu do you have?
Got a 1080ti. Not a 100% sure I tried Variable refresh rate and Hardware GPU scheduling off in windows settings graphics page both are set to On. I did try unplug the 2nd monitor and just about every settings in the NV control panel.

Soldato
Got a 1080ti. Not a 100% sure I tried Variable refresh rate and Hardware GPU scheduling off in windows settings graphics page both are set to On. I did try unplug the 2nd monitor and just about every settings in the NV control panel.

So it's not an AMD hardware/driver thing either then, very strange :(

Soldato

Probably but of course I meant today's consumer RT.

Although I dont mind playing graphically dated games, currently playing vesperia, played lost oddysey before it, and when both of these done I am either going back to lightning returns or onto fable. Dont think I have ever played a game solely for its visuals, I dont mind a good game been visually enhanced, but to me its always a secondary priority.

Associate
As said before, if HDR in The Division 2 is dull & grey then that means you don't have a proper HDR display or the calibration is very badly done both on it & in the game. That game has stunning HDR.

Same, TD2 HDR looks incredible, super bright and extremely vibrant colours along with neutral lighting enabled.

I use an Asus PG43UQ HDR1000 monitor and all the games I've tried in HDR work perfectly.

I did have a screen before that was HDR capable but did HDR horrificaly and when HDR was turned on games like TD2 did become dull and very washed out. If your getting washed out colours then the screen is most likely your problem.

Even AC Vallhala looks stunning in HDR, I do play all of my games full screen but I do leave HDR off in Windows and let the game turn it on unless a specific game refuses to use HDR without turning it on in Windows first.

Last edited:
Associate
With an Nvidia Shield TV device I should be able to cast HDR supported games to my Samsung Q9FN TV yeah? I was thinking of going AMD instead of my 3080 order but to me 4K HDR on a really decent display is worth it

Man of Honour
Sadly a photo of my display does not cut it but

tAt7l3U.jpg

That is using Quake 2 RTX's path tracing and HDR (VK_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_SFLOAT) in person it looks ridiculously good. Unfortunately not something I can distribute as I have almost no idea what I'm doing when it comes to programming for HDR and took a lot of special casing to even get it working and rendering something useful (most of the credit goes to Simon Buchan whose sample code I borrowed from) and it isn't entirely working correctly.

Soldato
Sadly a photo of my display does not cut it but

tAt7l3U.jpg

That is using Quake 2 RTX's path tracing and HDR (VK_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_SFLOAT) in person it looks ridiculously good. Unfortunately not something I can distribute as I have almost no idea what I'm doing when it comes to programming for HDR and took a lot of special casing to even get it working and rendering something useful (most of the credit goes to Simon Buchan whose sample code I borrowed from) and it isn't entirely working correctly.

Best of both worlds, nicely done!

Man of Honour
Best of both worlds, nicely done!

Sadly a photo or screenshot (can't currently screenshot HDR format display buffer) doesn't do it justice especially if the viewer doesn't have a HDR display (though a 8bit int image doesn't have the HDR info anyhow).

Back
Top Bottom