Which operating system do you use on your servers?

Associate
Unraid on my main server, plus a few running Proxmox. Still not quite found the perfect balance in terms of resilience, Unraid is great but I don't think combining large scale storage and virtualisation/containers makes complete sense.

Soldato
I've just started setting up a VM host and it's using windows 11 pro... simply because it came installed and I can use hyper v which seems very easy...

Soldato
windows server 2016 on my file server which also handles vpn using built in vpn feature. also is torrent box, server 2016 is last version i found that allows hard drives to spin down. server 2019 and up dont have that feature,.

Last edited:
Associate
windows server 2016 on my file server which also handles vpn using built in vpn feature. also is torrent box, server 2016 is last version i found that allows hard drives to spin down. server 2019 and up dont have that feature,.
The later version not having a hard drive spin down feature does surprise me given the general drive towards reducing power consumption. I see quite a notable ke reduction in consumption when my drives are spun down vs up

Soldato
Yep not to mention the noise with machine being in the bedroom with 6 mechanical drives in it. Once spun down its almost silent thanks to slow fan speeds.
Also ditched the 15k sas drive for ssd man it gets erily quite at night... Little too quiet.

Associate
Running Server 2012 R2 Standard here (on an A8-6600K), but as that is EOL, I'm currently pondering which direction to move onto.

Thinking of finally moving away from wbadmin to a more robust solution, but everything out there gets expensive when you look at 'server' pricing. Considering just going down the W10 / 11 route just for sane backup pricing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
When I had what would be closer to the definition of servers mostly Debian and Windows Server 2008 - now I'm just using a couple of mini PCs and a laptop running Windows 10 Pro for server like tasks. I really don't like Windows 10/11 or server equivalents for that kind of use though - the laptop when it had an older version of Windows on just sat there quietly in the corner, except when under actual use, using hardly any power, now with 10 on it not infrequently spins up for minutes at a time at random, etc.

Reason for using the OS generally is ease of use - Debian just makes sense to me more than most other flavours of *nix.

Last edited:
Associate
I use Linux on my servers, it was Red Hat based stuff for a long time since I was exposed to it for over a decade at a previous job so CentOS or Fedora depending what the server was doing

More recently switched back to Debian / Ubuntu, again depending on use case

Use cases; file/media servers, Plex, general purpose hypervisors, dev boxes, containers, labs for things like GNS3, flight tracking boxes, shinobi

Should probably play with BSD based stuff just out of curiosity and for learning but never gotten round to it yet

Soldato
Also headless Debian here, can I really call it a home server if its just a £35 single board computer with a 1TB SSD literally hanging off the side of the table? :D

Soldato
You should have seen the look on our IT directors face when I put in a proposal for a Pi Cluster to run some containers for development tools we use..

I was half joking, but just needed something running some Containers and they refuse to sully their Windows Server environments (they are Microsoft to the core)..

It's got the conversation going though, I presume Docker is some form of security nightmare or something in a production environment?

Permabanned
You should have seen the look on our IT directors face when I put in a proposal for a Pi Cluster to run some containers for development tools we use..

I was half joking, but just needed something running some Containers and they refuse to sully their Windows Server environments (they are Microsoft to the core)..

It's got the conversation going though, I presume Docker is some form of security nightmare or something in a production environment?

I would say docker isn’t a security issue it’s the unknown. Asking Microsoft team to learn something new is going to be hard.

Docker can be a minefield especially when it comes to routing and networking from outside to in.

If you have played with docker before it isn’t as bad as some people think but whole new ball game for a team of Microsoft’s only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom