Which Thermal paste

Associate
OP
HI, thanks for getting back to me i forgot to tell you what i am going to use, I am going for a 3900x with a bequiet dark rock pro 4

The NT-H1 suffers from pump-out effect, whats your take on this. Do the other pastes suffer from this or do i not have to worrie about this.

what it seems to boil down to in reviews is best from top to bottom

1. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut this is not conductive is it ? how long does it last. ?
2. Gelid Solutions GC Extreme this is not conductive is it, never herd of this paste before.
3. NT-H1 or H2
4. MX-4

But it seems from top to bottom there is 2-3 degrees difference which is not a lot of difference. Are they all the same for applying to the CPU as it seems spreading the whole Cpu before putting on the Heatrsink is best bet. still not to sure about Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as i have herd different things like its easy to put on and otheres have said its to thick and hard to appliy and others like the link i gave you said there was a bad batch and damages the CPU and heatsink finish.

this link which has the problems are the (Distributor) and if they have problems thats not good, has this been fixed by now are all the bad batch gone as it seems in 2019 they still have problems ?
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...sive.18827970/

I dont want to keep redoing the past as i have had mine on my pc for 10 years now

thanks
Last edited by

Associate
I think we've all pretty much agreed that "Pump Out Effect" is just what happens to all Thermal Material eventually (and the need to reapply at some point after). Since you need to reapply anyway at some point (normally around 1-2 years time, or when temps start to spike upwards more than usual), we can safely ignore any warnings on the "Pump Out Effect" of any thermal materials you can buy, unless if what you're applying is basically water (where it won't hold at all and so the same as not having any thermal compound between your CPU and cooler).

So it's really down to price, and whether you're OK with using conductive or capacitive, or non conductive or capacitive thermal material. But from what I'm looking at, none of the ones you've listed there are conductive, so should be safe for use.

Associate
OP
been reading so many up and downs with Kryonaut and seems to be just to risky for me and i might just give it a miss. I am now leaning towards a pack of noctua NT-H2 as it seems a littile better than MX-4 and a littile worse than Kryonaut.

Been reading many forums and many results and if you dont go Kryonaut the top three pastes seems to be NT-H2, MX4 & GC Extreme and i am going to try Nt-H2 first and see how i get on then MX-4 if thats no good as these two rate there usage, NT-H2 5 years and MX-4 8 Years as they all work within 3C from each other.

did not like the sounds of this to whihc was posted on another site

"In sum on the Kryonaut, it's stable up to 80C, then it breaks down. Ryzen shuts down at 95C. On air cooling, I could see 80C+ being relatively commonplace if you work your CPU enough to warrant having it. TG Kryonaut is intended to use between an IHS and a liquid cooling AIO or custom loop, hence the low 80C breakdown temp."

Soldato
been reading so many up and downs with Kryonaut and seems to be just to risky for me and i might just give it a miss. I am now leaning towards a pack of noctua NT-H2 as it seems a littile better than MX-4 and a littile worse than Kryonaut.
I've got a tube of Kryonaut but I've gone back to MX-4 2019 edition.

Associate
After years of Artic Silver 5 I pushed the boat out with my last and current i7 CPU's with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro. The darn stuff is like mercury so tricky to handle and very conductive. But my cpu's are cold (currently 30c playing fortnite at 4k). Liquid Pro Came out top in a website test but it's not for the feint hearted !. Unlike some tales of woe my last de-mount wasnt stuck to the processor, the processor top was badly etched tho.

Last edited:
Soldato
How would you compare them? How easy is Kryonaut to apply compared to the MX-4?

MX-4 has been my go-to for ages and I'm tempted by Kryonaut but application sounds tricky. I've got so used to MX-4 it's easy now.

the way the end of the tube is cut with thermal grizzly means that it’s one of the easiest to apply.

Soldato
Using thermal grizzly on my 5.1ghz gaming bundle temps with the case top off are in the 33 range on all core (without the rope off they were in the 44 45,s could artic silver drop them a wee bit more hmmmm.

Soldato
Just having a read of this thread for re-pasting my laptop. I have a little Noctua NT-H2 left but considering buying some Kryonaut as I want the best temps on the laptop. Not sure if I should just use the rest of the Noctua stuff instead.

Soldato
Just having a read of this thread for re-pasting my laptop. I have a little Noctua NT-H2 left but considering buying some Kryonaut as I want the best temps on the laptop. Not sure if I should just use the rest of the Noctua stuff instead.

Don't bother. For a laptop go straight to Conductanaught (sp?) liquid metal. It requires the tiniest amount ever (I used what was left over on my swabs from doing my i7) but it's totally silenced my X250.

Soldato
Don't bother. For a laptop go straight to Conductanaught (sp?) liquid metal. It requires the tiniest amount ever (I used what was left over on my swabs from doing my i7) but it's totally silenced my X250.
I was actually just watching some videos on that. They seem to have an insane temp drop of around 20 Deg using LM.

Man of Honour
I have been using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut pretty much since it launched in the UK and have never had any problems with it. Yes it can be a pain to spread but if you warm it up before applying it makes it much easier to use. Until something better comes along that isn't liquid metal I won't be using anything else.

Permabanned
I have been using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut pretty much since it launched in the UK and have never had any problems with it. Yes it can be a pain to spread but if you warm it up before applying it makes it much easier to use. Until something better comes along that isn't liquid metal I won't be using anything else.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (12.5 W/m.k)

Thermalright TFX Paste (14.3 W / m.k’s) an upgrade to their TF8 Paste (13.8 W/m.k)

http://thermalright.com/product/tf8-thermal-paste-2g/

http://thermalright.com/product/tfx-thermal-paste-2g/

Soldato
Did you tape components around the CPU/GPU ?

I will admit I was a bit naughty and didn't. I can't stress enough how little I used though. I didn't apply any "new" from the tube and only applied what was left on the buds from doing my CPU a few weeks ago. I didn't even apply any to the heatsink, just to the die top.
Took my time and was careful, got full coverage to about 1mm from the edges.

Back
Top Bottom