which vr headset for sim racing?

Associate
ok so I'm looking to get into the vr headset for sim racing,i wear glasses also for reading and pc use.

I was looking at the Acer AH101 Mixed Reality Headset but not sure how it compares to the oculus apart from having better resolution.

I wont be using it for anything else except sim racing.
thanks

Associate
OP
yea tough choice as I could get the acer one for new for £250 or the Lenovo explorer for about the same and has higher resolution than the rift.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yea I managed to snag a rift with Xbox 1 Controller, dongle, 2 x Touch controllers and 2 sensors last night on everyones favourite auction site for £190,cant wait to try it out

Associate
OP
assetto corsa and sometimes iracing but not played in a while as ive been in and out of hospital last 6 months,just one more small op in 2 weeks and I can get back into sim racing proper

Associate
OP
I have a large corner worktop in the pc room with racing seat and my wheel bolts to my desk when I need it,the seat has a stop rail behind it so it doesn't move and triple monitors at present,i would love a sim rig but this setup seems ok for now.
my csl lc pedals sit on a pedestal butt upto the corner of the wall so they cant move either.

Associate
OP
managed to get it working but the steam vr thingy I cant even get it to track the headset.

good points very immersive and the ability to look to the apex and side glances.

bad points so far for me..glasses are a no no as they squash my nose,and the apps in AC seem right 'in your face',not sure how I can make them feel further away or whether the fov needs changing and what to.

now I'm blind as a bat without glasses but I can play it a bit without,look like I'm going to need to less powerful glasses than my reading ones as they over do it in the rift for me.

Associate
OP
yes tried the room setup in steam VR but it wont let me click the next button as it says my rift headset is not on,even tho it is

yes I have the resolution at 1920x1080 is that right?

I also set the pd to 1.5 in the oculus ini in ac folder

Associate
OP
no its not that,the headset is awake because you can see it in the bottom of the vr screen in steam..just steam wont see it when calibrating it,google shows its a problem with other people too.

yes thankyou I did that and all is good no,going to have to get some of those lenses they do just not sure on strength because my reading glasses are overkill.

Associate
OP
that works but only after disabling my KB software,many thanks.

well I got hospital today at 2pm so hopefully be back to try it later,as I said I struggle to wear with glasses maybe because I have a big head lol,going to grab some cheap small pound shop glasses to test and then I can decide if I need smaller glasses or shrink my head.

Associate
OP
ok so finally managed to sort my glasses out,what I noticed is that my glasses would fit thru the plastic removeable shroud but the foam on the shroud overhangs the plastic frame and was squishing my frames in,so I took some small curved scissors and trimmed back the foam by about 5mm each side and now the glasses fit fine.

ive only tried assetto corsa,thoughts are I love the 3d immersion but I cant get past how blurry the cars look once they get a second or 2 infront of you.

I have set the pixel density to 1.5 and it looked better but I'm not sure I can live with how it looks,reading the braking markers are also hard...I think I might just go back to triple screens for racing.

Associate
OP
I was maxed out on graphics and on 1.5 PD,i tried loads of settings and couldn't get comfy with the graphic blur at distance.

the driving was amazing,feeling so close to the road in the open wheelers and felt more natural to drive than triples but I think I will wait until the resolution gets better before trying again.

Back
Top Bottom