which vr headset for sim racing?

Associate
ok so I'm looking to get into the vr headset for sim racing,i wear glasses also for reading and pc use.

I was looking at the Acer AH101 Mixed Reality Headset but not sure how it compares to the oculus apart from having better resolution.

I wont be using it for anything else except sim racing.
thanks

Soldato
Vive Pro will probably be one of the best, but isn't out yet and will be very expensive.

The Rift has a better apparent resolution than most of the other headsets, and less screen-door effect than the original Vive, but requires external sensors plugged into USB3. On the plus side it's one of the most comfortable and lightweight headsets and has excellent built-in audio.

Any of the mixed reality headsets would be ok for driving games, with the bonus that they are easier to setup (no external sensors), but the comfort, image quality and lenses are not as good as the Rift or Vive in general, plus they do not have built-in audio. The Samsung headset is the best of the WMR, and includes built-in headphones, but isn't officially released in Europe.

As a Rift owner I'd recommend the Rift, but I'm biased. :rolleyes: The touch controllers are amazing, and even though you're mainly sim racing, once you've experienced the touch controllers in VR you may want to try some other game types too :D

I sim race on mine, as well as play elite using a hotas, and use the touch controllers for lots of games.

Soldato
I wont be using it for anything else except sim racing.
That was my approach as well :) Although I was also into flight sims. I've read that Rift had better (slightly, but noticeably so) clarity compared to the Vive, went with it and didn't look back. Glasses are no problem to use with the rift. Mine are quite big (Chris Evans style) and still fit ok.

If you can wait for Vive Pro and willing to spend whatever it will cost, then it may be worth waiting, otherwise - Oculus is a solid choice for simracing. Samsung may well be a good option - it has 1.5 times higher res and poorer optics that are sharp in the centre only - but you'd have to import it from the US. Crazy, but true - I've no idea what Samsung are thinking there.

Associate
OP
yea tough choice as I could get the acer one for new for £250 or the Lenovo explorer for about the same and has higher resolution than the rift.

Last edited:
Soldato
It isn't just resolution - the rift has better lenses with a larger 'sweet spot'. Basically, only the centre of the lenses is perfectly focused, this is larger on the rift than the WMR headsets. Plus the rift has hardware IPD (Inter-pupillary distance) adjustment, which is needed to get a clear image, and to get the correct world scale. Most of the WMR headsets don't have this.

Associate
OP
yea I managed to snag a rift with Xbox 1 Controller, dongle, 2 x Touch controllers and 2 sensors last night on everyones favourite auction site for £190,cant wait to try it out

Associate
OP
assetto corsa and sometimes iracing but not played in a while as ive been in and out of hospital last 6 months,just one more small op in 2 weeks and I can get back into sim racing proper

Associate
yea I managed to snag a rift with Xbox 1 Controller, dongle, 2 x Touch controllers and 2 sensors last night on everyones favourite auction site for £190,cant wait to try it out
You Jammy Dodger. I paid £227 for a used Rift with XBox controller and 1 sensor on the bay. O thought it made sense to buy used as I was unsure whether I'd get the use out of it; but, oh boy, I get the use out of it.

Currently playing Project Cars 2 in the Rift with a hybrid GTX 1080. Most of the settings are on high with things like reflections and shadows on low as they cause the most issues in VR.

It blows my socks off. I usually use the open helmet cam, the closed helmet cam is good as it gets rid of that "looking through goggles" effect. But I like being able to see everything and sitting in an open wheel Formula Rookie car harks me back to the track days I used to do at Oulton Park Foster's Circuit.

The headphones that come with the Rift are fabulous and the microphone is clear as I've been told by friends when playing in it.

Associate
Do you have a sim rig?

The Rift has now started me off with an expensive hobby. I am looking at something like the GT Omega cockpit but I don't know whether to settle with the PlaySeat Challenge as it can easily be folded up and put away.

I have a Logitech G920 with shifter, it was a replacement for the Thrustmaster TMX that arrived with a broken fan. The TMX is the entry level wheel but I did find that the force feedback felt better than the G920. The Logitech G920 does have a nicer finish with faux leather wheel and metal pedal set with clutch.

I'm now mulling over whether to upgrade to the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition and let the Logitech go on the cheap. If I do that then I will kiss goodbye to touch controllers that I still haven't purchased.

Does anyone here have a sim rig? Could anyone recommend one?

Associate
OP
I have a large corner worktop in the pc room with racing seat and my wheel bolts to my desk when I need it,the seat has a stop rail behind it so it doesn't move and triple monitors at present,i would love a sim rig but this setup seems ok for now.
my csl lc pedals sit on a pedestal butt upto the corner of the wall so they cant move either.

Back
Top Bottom