Who here owns a Mini?

Soldato
There's also this which I think is very good for a late 2020 Cooper S:

Only thing is it's 2hrs drive away and should anything go wrong or need warranty assistance I would have to travel for 2hrs to drop it off at the dealers....
Have you made a list of which options you want?

And colours you prefer?

Soldato
Have you made a list of which options you want?

And colours you prefer?

Im now the owner of this:

PXL-20230717-134049540.jpg

Cooper S Steptronic 192BHP
Comfort Pack
Storage Pack
Navigation Pack
HK Audio
Cross Punch Leather Interior
Heated Seats

Last edited:
Soldato
Any android auto solutions for mini out there?
Ha, welcome to the club. What year is yours? Depending on the year the options range from go between box that gives you non touch android auto with the I drive controller, all the way to a full upgrade to touchscreen AA.

Sadly for me, it seems the former is my best option.

Soldato
Anyone here chipped or remapped their mini? There are a good few options for tuner chips that claim up to 260bhp and 400NM, and remaps for about the same.

Given the remaps are likely prebaked tunes, is there any benefit over something I can plug and unplug?

Soldato
Ha, welcome to the club. What year is yours? Depending on the year the options range from go between box that gives you non touch android auto with the I drive controller, all the way to a full upgrade to touchscreen AA.

Sadly for me, it seems the former is my best option.
My car's a late 2020 model.
So I'll need the latter option (touchscreen). What sort of price would it be?

Soldato
Anyone here chipped or remapped their mini? There are a good few options for tuner chips that claim up to 260bhp and 400NM, and remaps for about the same.

Given the remaps are likely prebaked tunes, is there any benefit over something I can plug and unplug?
I was looking at this too. Superchips has an offer on at the moment taking £150 of the remap which comes in at £269 after the discount.

The remap ups the bhp by 71 (263) and torque by 151(451)

Soldato
I was looking at this too. Superchips has an offer on at the moment taking £150 of the remap which comes in at £269 after the discount.

The remap ups the bhp by 71 (263) and torque by 151(451)
Not sure I'd want 451NM going through the transmission. I think it's rated up to 400 on the MCS (JCW can do more), less on the automatic. I mean, I love torque, but this is my daily driver too.

E: just seen it's actually 405NM or thereabouts on there. That's not a bad deal. That said, unlike my local tuner, you gotta pay every time to put the remap back on if it gets overwritten by a dealer. Also, no way to remove it (bear in mind that mods need to be declared to your insurance provider and at some point you may wish to remove it). Unlikely to be spotted, but you never know.

Last edited:
Soldato
New rubber on the Mini today, went for a set of PS5's during the Costco deal! Really love the handling characteristics of these. Excuse the tyre soap, needs a wash!

Last edited:
Soldato
gobw9fS.jpg

Forthcoming property purchase means a drive to reduce my monthly costs, out goes the Octavia VRS245 Challenge (loved it, but to spendy to replace without going much older) and in comes the ginger mini. 2019 1.5 Cooper Sport manual with comfort pack, an AUC with 26k miles, 1 previous owner and now on a set of 4 Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3s and with a few gloss black bits instead of the chrome.

Its the least powerful car I've ever owned and I don't like the colour of it much at all, but its the cheapest car to fuel and insure that I've ever had. Well built and nicely appointed for a small car I feel, pretty rattle free and refined at speed for the type of vehicle it is. One of the few small car options, if you want something that has LED headlights, heated seats, cruise, DAB and at least 140bhp.

I have to say the manual gearchange lets the car down a little bit to me, its a little notchy and agricultural feeling compared the rest of the car, has anyone done anything to improve the shift quality? Its 4 years old now, due a gear oil service or what?

Last edited:
Associate
Forthcoming property purchase means a drive to reduce my monthly costs, out goes the Octavia VRS245 Challenge (loved it, but to spendy to replace without going much older) and in comes the ginger mini. 2019 1.5 Cooper Sport manual with comfort pack, an AUC with 26k miles, 1 previous owner and now on a set of 4 Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3s and with a few gloss black bits instead of the chrome.

Its the least powerful car I've ever owned and I don't like the colour of it much at all, but its the cheapest car to fuel and insure that I've ever had. Well built and nicely appointed for a small car I feel, pretty rattle free and refined at speed for the type of vehicle it is. One of the few small car options, if you want something that has LED headlights, heated seats, cruise, DAB and at least 140bhp.

I have to say the manual gearchange lets the car down a little bit to me, its a little notchy and agricultural feeling compared the rest of the car, has anyone done anything to improve the shift quality? Its 4 years old now, due a gear oil service or what?
I quite like that colour. Beats the usual dull white/black/grey/silver :p.

I think that's just how the gear box is unfortunately. I always found the Mini to be a bit notchy, and that was on both a 2016 cooper s and 2020 JCW.

Soldato

Having come from a 2008 civic with 150k miles on it, the gearbox doesn't feel to bad to me, although the throw is a bit long for a car with such short gearing imo. First car I thought would benefit a lot from a short shifter. I wasn't aware there was even a 1.5 sport. I thought you just had the bog standard One and then the S at 2L.

Soldato
Having come from a 2008 civic with 150k miles on it, the gearbox doesn't feel to bad to me, although the throw is a bit long for a car with such short gearing imo. First car I thought would benefit a lot from a short shifter. I wasn't aware there was even a 1.5 sport. I thought you just had the bog standard One and then the S at 2L.
I think the sport just means it has a JCW styling on it.

They're new naming is terrible. I saw the new Cooper S with a JCW badge on the font grille just cos it has the styling. No jcw engine or brakes etc.

Soldato
I think the sport just means it has a JCW styling on it.

They're new naming is terrible. I saw the new Cooper S with a JCW badge on the font grille just cos it has the styling. No jcw engine or brakes etc.

They've gone the way with how Audi do S-line and BMW does M sport kits except Mini has just gone JCW without any other indication of it being a lower spec. Horrid!

Then with the Electric Mini they've gone the opposite! They've put the S badge on indicating its a Sport but don't have the Sport bumpers front or back, instead they whacked on the Classic front bumper and a SE rear bumper which is ridiculously bland.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom