Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Caporegime
What is a Megane 175?

Edit: Googled it, ewww. Buy the turbo over that thing! A pretend warm hatch with a slow heavy diesel in the front, do not want!

The reason Renault Sports work is that having all the Renault Sport good bits makes up for having to tolerate all the awful standard Renault bits. The 175 is just all standard Renault, so will just be all poo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm confused, ultimately even @ 210BHP it won't be quicker than your Clio.

You need a 225 if you want a quick car. With 700 a month to spare, jesus you could save up in no time and would have no problem running one.

Soldato
I'm confused, ultimately even @ 210BHP it won't be quicker than your Clio.

You need a 225 if you want a quick car. With 700 a month to spare, jesus you could save up in no time and would have no problem running one.

A 210Bhp Megane will be faster, And I have always preferred diesels anyway.
Even now when I rev past 6k I think my cars going to explode!

Associate
A 210Bhp Megane will be faster, And I have always preferred diesels anyway.
Even now when I rev past 6k I think my cars going to explode!

So you're worried about revving past 6k, but wanted to spend £3k on a turbo kit.

Diesels cars are not fun to drive. I moved from a 182 to a VW Jetta due to mileage and comfort.

Unfortunitely my jetta needed a new turbo a month after purchase, so had a hybrid turbo upgrade and a custom map (only did the upgrade because it worked out around an extra £300 over having a rebuilt standard turbo and a non custom map). It's now running around 200-210bhp (140 originally). Not sure what the weight difference is between a jetta and a megane diesel, but my jetta is at least a second slower to 60 compared to my 182, and it's not until 70 or 80mph that the jetta feels as fast.

It also corners massively slower and the brakes aren't anywhere as good.

If you need a diesel then go for it. But if you want a faster car, which is what you seemed to be looking for then a diesel megane is not the answer, even mapped, it'll be much slower than a standard 172 in pretty much every situation.

Also if you so go for the megane diesel, look into clutch and dmf issues, as they may or may not be able to handle the extra torque from the remap.

Soldato
My 2002 (127k mile) 172 passed it's MOT today, had advisories on rear brake disks and pads, how easy/hard are these to change by yourself?

I've only ever really done the simple stuff like batteries, lights, spark plugs and the like with any car i've had.

Associate
My 2002 (127k mile) 172 passed it's MOT today, had advisories on rear brake disks and pads, how easy/hard are these to change by yourself?

I've only ever really done the simple stuff like batteries, lights, spark plugs and the like with any car i've had.

The rear disks have the wheel bearings pressed into them. It's just not worth the hassle to get the wheel bearings pressed out and back into the new ones its easier just to buy the genuine Renault disk that come with the bearings already pressed. One other thing is there is a spacer on the back of the disk that can come off when you remove the old disk and many people throw the old disks away with it on without realising. You HAVE to make sure you use this spacer on the new disks as the bearings will fail very quickly otherwise. Other than that it's pretty easy to do you just need a big socket for the hub nut.

Also if you're on the Cliosport forums there is a guy that does very good prices on genuine brake parts.

Associate
Had the belts/dephaser/waterpump, service & health check done yesterday at Diamond Motors.

The whining noise which I had assumed was the gearbox turned out to be the PAS pump which was replaced with a secondhand unit as the lead time on ordering a new one was at least 2 days.

Would recommend Diamond, very friendly and Mick definitely knows his onions when it comes to Renaults.

Car is so much quieter now (which unfortunately makes the squeaky brakes even more annoying).

Todo list is down to tracking, wheels balanced & standard brake pads for now. New tyres after summer.

Caporegime
The rear disks have the wheel bearings pressed into them. It's just not worth the hassle to get the wheel bearings pressed out and back into the new ones its easier just to buy the genuine Renault disk that come with the bearings already pressed. One other thing is there is a spacer on the back of the disk that can come off when you remove the old disk and many people throw the old disks away with it on without realising. You HAVE to make sure you use this spacer on the new disks as the bearings will fail very quickly otherwise. Other than that it's pretty easy to do you just need a big socket for the hub nut.

Also if you're on the Cliosport forums there is a guy that does very good prices on genuine brake parts.

Yep, G172 I think. Genuine Renault disks with the bearing already in, a 30mm (I think?) socket and a torque wrench and your good to go. Theres a great foobar guide on CS about rear brakes.

Caporegime
Yep. G172 I bought from him a few months back. The rear discs are easy, just remember a hammer too. I had to whack the crap out of my near side to get it off.

The pads I got off G172 had to be filed slightly to fit, but no drama really.

Yep 30mm socket torqued to 175nm (99% sure on that). As above the spaces, G172 will send you some for like £2 I got some but never needed to use them in the end.

Caporegime
When I replaced my disks I found the spacers were missing. Pretty impressive that I managed 5 track days and 30k miles before the bearing started complaining!

Soldato
Never got around to doing rear disks and pads myself, not confident tbh and my driveway is on a bit of a slant.

Popped into my regular garage, got quoted £166 for rear disks and pads with labour on my 172, is this a decent price? Should I shop around a bit?

Thing is, they're a top garage, they've turned me away for a few jobs on my and my wifes car, often saving money and giving cheaper alternatives for things we wanted done.

Caporegime
I paid £130 IIRC for the parts alone last time, fitted myself. So yes it is, if they use decent parts. I used OEM discs and OEM brembo pads.

So another £30 for someone to fit, isn't bad. TBF if I never done mine in work time. I probably would've been tempted to let someone else do it!

Associate
Never got around to doing rear disks and pads myself, not confident tbh and my driveway is on a bit of a slant.

Popped into my regular garage, got quoted £166 for rear disks and pads with labour on my 172, is this a decent price? Should I shop around a bit?

Thing is, they're a top garage, they've turned me away for a few jobs on my and my wifes car, often saving money and giving cheaper alternatives for things we wanted done.

Make sure they are genuine Renault as the rear discs have the bearing built in. After market bearing's do not tend to last.

They are about £120 with pads, plus just over an hours fitting.

Edit:
Cheap from Renault Wolverhampton parts -
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281077355493&alt=web

It's also advised to change the rear hub nut and ensure the spacer is on the back of the disc otherwise the bearing will die quickly. The spacer is often stuck to the old disc so gets discarded without knowing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom