Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
OP
New turbo?

Sorry I missed this. No actually. I'll detail everything I've changed at some point. I was pleasantly surprised by the results, especially given a car before me (same model) didn't make much more than 330bhp...

Was out with the camera and a fairly clean car...
vPCwBVy.jpg

Dying to start some actual mods rather than just cosmetics but we're buying a house so it's going to remain standard for the time being :(

Looks so good!

I joined the Legacy club as well last week! Picked up a manual 3.0R Spec B.

WS8dJQZ.jpg

MOT time tomorrow, then it's getting a comprehensive service and a decent set of tyres. :)

Very nice! I need to own a Legacy at some point! 3.0R with LPG would be amazing for daily mileage too.

Video from dyno plus some acceleration clips:

Soldato
Why would you buy a car thats due an MoT? and not get the seller to put 12 months on, seems like madness

Not by any stretch. There are plenty of reasons why someone might do that: its price might reflect its short MOT, the seller might not be able to drive it any more, or the seller might not simply be around to do it – and so on.

In some respects, it's a small thing (although it depends what you're looking at) – an MOT is only a basic safety check at the end of the day, so if you can assess the car (and look at its past history) then you can get some idea of what might be needed and budget accordingly. A car can have 12 months' MOT and still be a complete nail, so you need to have your eyes open in any case.

In this particular instance, though, the seller works overseas and is currently not intent on returning. As a result, they weren't able to do anything about it and were subsequently selling the car before the test expired and it became even more problematic.

This car was also keenly priced, so if there are costs incurred it should still represent a decent buy. It's not due until January, but I'm just getting it done now so I can find out if there's anything unseen that needs rectifying and set about fixing it.

There was one other motivation: rarity. There are only 85 manual 3.0R Spec Bs left on the DVLA's books – so if you want one (or another similarly uncommon car), particularly in a short timeframe, you often don't have a great deal of choice. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Is the 3L the engine from the Tribeca or similar, the one that MightyCarMods whacked into supergramps? I didn't realise the legacy came in 3L variants. Colour me intrigued!

Soldato
Is the 3L the engine from the Tribeca or similar, the one that MightyCarMods whacked into supergramps? I didn't realise the legacy came in 3L variants. Colour me intrigued!

The 3.0-litre EZ30 started out in the Outback and Legacy, IIRC, then made its way into the Tribeca. The larger 3.6-litre EZ36 came a little later and superseded its predecessor in all applications – that's the engine now in Supergramps.

It's an interesting motor. Not hugely powerful (242bhp/219lb ft, off the top of my head) but it's extremely refined and pretty stout. What helps is that the Legacy only weighs 1510kg at the kerb, I think, so it's not exactly heavy. Book figure of 6.5sec for the 0-60mph dash. It's not a hugely efficient choice, mind, but it'll do 30mpg on a run.

Seven grand redline puts a smile on your face, that said, that's for sure. :)

1dfXGzn.jpg

Mine as it sits at the moment. It's overly glossy right now as I've just treated the bay with ACF-50 for the winter. This one's backed by a six-speed manual transmission derived from the WRX STi but you can get automatics as well.

It didn't quite get through its MOT in one clean hit today – it needs a bit of fresh brake fluid, a bulb and the offside front caliper cleaning up. Can't complain, though, given that it's been sat for a while and hasn't done a great deal.

On reflection, I should have probably refreshed the brake fluid and done a few emergency stops before I ran it over to the test centre. Swear I checked all the bulbs, though. Ah well, not exactly flush for time at the moment. Onwards! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Any tuning potential with the EZ30? Do they take kindly to boosting?

You can get aftermarket exhausts, manifolds (Raptor), Cosworth panel filters and get them remapped – the gains aren't vast but there is some potential.

Raptor makes supercharger kits for them, too, which deliver 250-335bhp at the wheels. I've seen turbocharged ones, but I'm not sure there are any off-the-shelf solutions. Yet to look. People do modify them but there's not a huge scene for them. :)

You starter for ten. :D

Associate
The 3.0-litre EZ30 started out in the Outback and Legacy, IIRC, then made its way into the Tribeca. The larger 3.6-litre EZ36 came a little later and superseded its predecessor in all applications – that's the engine now in Supergramps.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification! Seems like a good option, is the tax a killer due to the displacement?

Soldato
Any tuning potential with the EZ30? Do they take kindly to boosting?

I was in a similar boat. When looking for my Legacy I was considering the 3.0 or the 2.0 Twinscroll. Ended up going for the twinscroll as it has better tuning capabilities and it's more reliable. Also as it's an import it's cheaper tax which is a bonus. £270 vs £500 or whatever it is. Downside is the 2.0 costs more to purchase and not as common.

Soldato
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification! Seems like a good option, is the tax a killer

If you get a pre-March '06 (I think), such as mine, it's £325 per year. There are some other advantages, such as it doesn't have a timing belt (unlike the fours), but it all pans out pretty evenly overall. They're all reliable if looked after.

If you want to chase power, go for a four (or if you want a newer Legacy with more kit and lower tax). If you're not after outright performance and just prefer the mechanical interest and refinement of the six, it's worth considering. :)

I've done the turbocharged Subaru thing for the time being, so thought I'd try one of these oddballs. Well, partly that and the Impreza just doesn't do it for me any more. This suits me better at the moment; more kit, more comfort, more rear room, far less expensive, less attention drawn...

Last edited:
Associate
I'm always considering going back to Subaru, think if i could run two cars easily i'd likely have a Forester STI or something, or maybe a legacy if i wanted a land yacht!

Soldato
I'm always considering going back to Subaru, think if i could run two cars easily i'd likely have a Forester STI or something, or maybe a legacy if i wanted a land yacht!

I don't think you could ever describe a Legacy as a land yacht, haha. They're about 7cm narrower than a Mk7 Golf and weigh about the same. :D

A bit longer, though, obviously. Certainly a comfortable saloon in R or Rn form, though, for sure. :)

Associate
I don't think you could ever describe a Legacy as a land yacht, haha. They're about 7cm narrower than a Mk7 Golf and weigh about the same. :D

A bit longer, though, obviously. Certainly a comfortable saloon in R or Rn form, though, for sure. :)

They are quite a lot longer than a wrx though aren't they? i guess that may make them a land canal boat rather than a yacht? Didn't think about how wide they were, also I've generally only looked at the estates!

Back
Top Bottom