Who knows about windows (Double Glazing)?

Soldato
Hi all,

Does anybody in the 'know' - when it comes to windows and double glazing please?

is UPVC the way to go?

We have aluminum window frames at the mo - But want to modernise and want the best security.

Thanks

Soldato
I am the man who knows all.

Rehau frames, 44mm triple glazed units, lower u-value than a cavity brick wall.

End of...

well theres a statement and a half! Current New Build Wall U-Value required 0.25W/m2K Lowest Glazing option I've encountered 0.7 W/m2K.

Maybe you'd like to expand on lower than an uninsulated cavity brick wall ;) Just off the top of my head I'm sure an uninsulated wall has a worse u-value than most windows required by the regulations so its nothing really to shout about.

Soldato
Do they offer the best best security?

Doesn't really matter how much security your windows have if someone wants to get in they will get in.

I could open a PVC door in a few seconds, I'm not going to explain how because it shouldn't be common knowledge, anyone in the trade knows how and lots of thieves know how to do it, my farther in-law told me how to do it he's a Window fitter, I've tested it on my own door when I needed to change my lock

Tea Drinker
Don
I've got triple glazed composite windows and they are excellent, I'd never have plastic again ever. Standard PVCu windows are more than adequate though, look at Profile 22 as a good manufacturer as well as Rehau another quality manufacturer.

Security wise if they are Secure By Design SBD compliant then they will have 8 point locking, we paid for summer latches on a previous house which meant 8 point locked in the summer ventilation position as well, we also paid for cleaning hinges which means you can slide an open window sideways so you can clean both sides very handy.

Security, most inward glazed SBD windows are naturally pretty secure, the glass is your weak point, SBD normally want laminated glass on the ground floor as then the glass can be broken but not taken out and requires very rigorous activity to remove.

Man of Honour
I just bought two composite doors/frames and various Windows.Some of which are to be fitted as part of our forthcoming extension.

Not cheap but superb quality and the doors are like a vacuum keeping the warm air in. We've certainly noticed a difference.

We went toe SEH/BAC as they did our conservatory and did a great job. On both fitting we had a small problem and they came out next day and fixed. A reputable company is measured by their aftercare imho.

I've got triple glazed composite windows and they are excellent, I'd never have plastic again ever. Standard PVCu windows are more than adequate though, look at Profile 22 as a good manufacturer as well as Rehau another quality manufacturer.

I'm a bit confussed by this statement. I thought composite means that they are one piece but still PVCu rather than a PVCu frame which they pad out.

Associate
I'm not an expert. We replaced wooden sash and case in our house with tilt / turn UPVC two months ago.
sash and case leak more as there is less pressure on the seal than with tilt / turn windows.
Unless you have your house longer than ~15 years there's no point going for A rated over C rated. The difference will save you £8 / year and it would have cost us an additional £250 to get A rated windows.
Shop around but get someone recommended, we went for someone local and while we had a few minor issues they sorted them really quickly without question - replaced a scratched panel etc.

Caporegime
I could open a PVC door in a few seconds, I'm not going to explain how because it shouldn't be common knowledge, anyone in the trade knows how and lots of thieves know how to do it, my farther in-law told me how to do it he's a Window fitter, I've tested it on my own door when I needed to change my lock

That would VERY much depend on the Door.

A Rockdoor with antisnap and pick locks, combined with multipoint locking, is very tricky to get into, you can't lever to door out of the frame, you can't really snap or pick the lock, you can't lift the glass out and you can't take the door apart.

Your only options are to smash the glass, hit it repeatedly with a battering ram or take the time to pick the lock, all of which take a long time and / or make lots of noise.

Soldato
How many people have them doors/locks? , your exaggerating the very just as bit, if you had a door like that and someone wanted in they would just smash the Window which can be done without making a lot of noise

Caporegime
I have no idea how many people have composite doors, those who care about security or have something worthwhile protecting I suppose?

Whilst nothing is thief proof, the idea is to make your house less tempting to break into than the one down the road, you can do this by having good quality locks, high performing door and windows which are glazed internally.

If you really wanted an easy way into the house I’d get onto the roof and lift some tiles off.

Tea Drinker
Don
I'm a bit confussed by this statement. I thought composite means that they are one piece but still PVCu rather than a PVCu frame which they pad out.

Composite windows are generally referred as aluminium / timber

http://www.glasfacades.com/images/aluminium-timber-composite-window-large.jpg

As these

Yes they are one piece but aluminium externally and timber internally

Composite doors are generally referred as plastic framed, plastic clad timber doors

http://www.compositedoorcompany.com/images/doorfurniture_crosssectionL.jpg

As this

Permabanned
well theres a statement and a half! Current New Build Wall U-Value required 0.25W/m2K Lowest Glazing option I've encountered 0.7 W/m2K.

Maybe you'd like to expand on lower than an uninsulated cavity brick wall ;) Just off the top of my head I'm sure an uninsulated wall has a worse u-value than most windows required by the regulations so its nothing really to shout about.

No need to expand, its totally do-able and has been done many times over.

Very quickly of the top of my head, 6.4mm 'k' lam opti, 6.4mm 'k' lam opti, 6.4mm opti lam, with krypton gas. Now the U-value of a sealed unit made to that spec would surpass any cavity wall no matter what insulation used. :p:D;)

Tea Drinker
Don
How about a 140mm Metsec stud full fill quilt insulation 80mm Kingspan Kooltherm K3(?) externally 50mm cavity

Or a 140 SIP panel with 80mm Kingspan Kooltherm K3(?) externally 50mm cavity

Permabanned
How about a 140mm Metsec stud full fill quilt insulation 80mm Kingspan Kooltherm K3(?) externally 50mm cavity

Or a 140 SIP panel with 80mm Kingspan Kooltherm K3(?) externally 50mm cavity

Do you have U-values for the above or was that a total guess?

Im building a house. Where can I buy these windows with those amazing u-values?

The windows are A-rated but the sealed units within which have the "amazing" U-values.

Back
Top Bottom