Who knows about windows (Double Glazing)?

Caporegime
Do these windows still have those annoying trickle vents at the top that completely ruin any heat and noise insulation properties that the glazing itself may have?

Trickle vents are the bane of my life, bloody building regs. Someone put me right please!

Associate
Yup, certainly not going to be any trickle vents on anything I buy. MVHR definately!

G.s Glazing, are you saying the actual Uw is not that amazing? I've seen plenty where Ug is brilliant, but then with the complete frame it's not as good. Can you link to the company producing the windows you're talking about?

Associate
Depends on if you have any other source of ventilation i think. Buildings regs has a minimum ventilation rate required for each room and the house. I think that normally achieved with trickle vents etc. I plan on using mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, MVHR, so trickle vents wont be required and I'll extract the heat from the outgoing stale air, and pump warmer clean air back in the house.

Soldato
Permabanned
Yup, certainly not going to be any trickle vents on anything I buy. MVHR definately!

G.s Glazing, are you saying the actual Uw is not that amazing? I've seen plenty where Ug is brilliant, but then with the complete frame it's not as good. Can you link to the company producing the windows you're talking about?

I made no mention of the windows having great U-values, the units within do though.

Soldato
I don't think you have to have trickle vents, we certainly have never fitted them on the thousands of windows I have replaced over the years. Well, apart from when a customer specifically asks for them. Most PVC windows have a night vent position in which the window can be locked in place with a small gap to allow for ventilation. This is a much better solution than some unsightly vents IMO.

Also lol @ 44mm triple glazed units being recommended without even knowing anything about the house they will be fitted in. How much do these units cost? I have never seen these in the UK and I imagine they are not worth the extra cost over decent 28mm double glazed units.

Soldato
Plenty of firms offering 44mm units, seen some REHAU triple glazed casements the other day at a local firm.
Rather impressive, apparently if fitted properly, you can't hear a sound outside,no idea on the price compared to 36mm or 28mm double glazed units.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, if the price was right then the sound blocking benefits could be worth it for houses next to roads or train tracks etc. I'll have to look into them. I can see them being expensive though and people don't want to spend at the moment.

Caporegime
I don't think you have to have trickle vents, we certainly have never fitted them on the thousands of windows I have replaced over the years. Well, apart from when a customer specifically asks for them. Most PVC windows have a night vent position in which the window can be locked in place with a small gap to allow for ventilation. This is a much better solution than some unsightly vents IMO.

I'm sure I remember reading that on the ground floor you can't leave it in the vent position for security reasons and therefore had to have trickle vents.

The reason I'm interested in this subject is that I've moved into a house near a road (30mph but busy) and the rooms without trickle vents are quieter than the rooms with, even with the vents in the closed position. I've been considering ripping them out and filling the gaps with expanding foam :p.

Anyway in the coming years we'll be replacing all windows with triple glazed high gap wotnots and I'm starting to do my homework on whether or not I'll need stupid trickle vents that kill all noise blocking properties.

Tea Drinker
Don
I'd tape over them and see if you suffer any damp first obviously don't if you have any gas appliances or fires in the room.

You can get acoustic trickle vents that sit above the window but they are ugly

My next house I'm fitting a good mvhr system

Tea Drinker
Don
Here you go, some nice windows for you.

Triple glazed composite, natural pine with clear danish oil, have taken on a lovely golden colour over the years, inward opening tilt and turn, 45 db sound reduction and I think iirc 0.9 u value for the whole window.

I never thought windows would be so important but these really make the house seem special, everyone that comes here just wants to touch them feel them and play with them.

20130303_091814_resized.jpg

20130303_091835_resized.jpg

Soldato
Now those are nice windows, something about wooden frames, classier.

Maccapacca:Trust me your address & I will be around with my sabre saw, I'm sure I could make them fit here.:D

Look similar to Andersen windows which has Natural pine interiors, but the exterior has been coated with a plastic finish.

Last edited:
Soldato
They look great! Most people slap some horrible stain on that covers the grain, looks far better with the oil.

I'm surprised to see aluminium spacer bars though. Do you get any cold bridging through them? We use a warm edge spacer which I think is made from some sort of plastic.

Back
Top Bottom