Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
There's a thread for everyone here now. Clios, Focus STs, VTECs, 350Zs, and now Mondeo STs. In the interest of fairness I decided it should cover the ST TDCI as well, to quell the haters. ;) And you can post your ownership experiences, questions and problems you may have here.

Here's my ST220. Had it since July 2010 and I still love it and have no plans to get rid any time soon.

Totally stock, with the optional Xenons.

01.jpg

2012-clean1.jpg

mondeo2011-1.jpg

(Same car, second pic was prior to my new number plate)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Has anyone else had any luck respraying the centre caps for the alloys? I was just going to degrease and lightly key with some 240grit, but wondered if anyone on here had done it?

In most cases they get all chipped and scuffed where monkeys try and remove them with screwdrivers, etc. You can probably spray them but as they're plastic it's probably better to just buy some new ones.

Soldato
OP
Petrol and front tyres are the biggests costs, they're very reliable and servicing and parts are not as bad as you'd expect from a performance car. It really is a beautifully well-rounded vehicle. :)

Soldato
OP
I'm inclined to agree with you on that one.

Walking away from what could well be one of the better ST220 examples out there for the sake of a few hundred quid would be daft.

I paid what I thought was a few hundred over the odds for mine for exactly the same reason, it was fully loaded, the correct colour (for me), low miles, FSH and one owner. Saw it on the saturday, handed the cash over on the wednesday and drove it away thursday night.

I wasn't willing to walk away from it as it ticked every single box and the price wasn't a million miles away.

As they age, the really really good ones are getting even rarer. Same could be said for any car really but the fact there just isn't many of these about to begin with makes it a tough choice if the asking prices is up at the top end of budget.

Looking around there seems to be two types of owners of ST220's now - the (for want of a better word) chavvy 'is a V6 innit' type who'll stick ditchfinders on it and rag it away to the redline from cold every verse end, and the ones who wrap them in cotton wool and are slightly obsessional about the whole ownership thing.

The one linked in this guys post looks like it comes from the second example.

So do it.

Buy it.

Now.

Agreed, get it bought.

Soldato
OP
Guys, just ignore him when he posts. It's DannyW, he comes out with utter bilge. Ignore him and move on, else it'll turn into another trashed thread which I'd rather it not :p

Soldato
OP
On a run I can average 36-37mpg, at 70mph. My commute which is about 50/50 motorway and town driving averages me 25/26mpg. This is from a 232bhp engine in a car weighing just under 1.5 tonnes.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;21702330 said:
Howards does suprise me

Admittedly it's far easier to average higher MPGs on a run at night with little traffic but it's doable. That, or my trip computer is lying through its teeth. It's all about how you drive, how you anticipate what's happening up ahead and how much of a lead foot you have, IMHO. Makes a big difference to town driving in my experience. :)

27MPG combined is probably spot on, my long term average over the last ~26k is 26.6.

Soldato
OP
I just think it's a great all rounder :) Cheap to buy, reliable, handles well, goes well, rides well, comfortable, well equipped, cheap to service, looks nice, wonderful V6 growl.

Soldato
OP
Not the end of the world no but more than the service on its own would have costed! And I did tell them to check it over and let me know if anything needs doing, so yeah. :)

Soldato
OP
Main dealer where I bought it. They gave me some vouchers for discount services when I bought the car. Next year I might investigate prices elsewhere but they're not exactly expensive as far as main dealers go. However your price above is pretty good if it included all that!!

Back
Top Bottom