Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Going off advice from the owners forum I tried to keep my ST in the 'boost range'. With some diesel you can (once warmed up of course) bang it in 6th and bumble along in a 30 but as soon as you reach an incline or need to speed up it's labouring and that's what kills the DMF/clutch as it's from the Ford range of cheese's. 15k miles in mine and it was still fine, I have full confidence that it will continue to live on if the new owner heeds my advice.

If the injectors are on their way out get them refurbed ASAP, don't leave it. The OEM exhaust is no longer made, so you'll either have to get a non-ST 2.2 exhaust or an after market for about 250-300, if you need one, of course.

*ahem*

Great cars, though. :p

Thanks for the advice, we did have a problem driving it home. Drove fine for 150 miles and took it for a lengthy test drive before hand, down some private road, all the way up to 120mph using all the rev range etc. But 10 miles from home when putting my foot down in 5th it lost all power and went into limp mode with the orange (coil light I think?) flashing on the dash. Pulled over and turned it off and back on and the light went off and it's drove fine ever since. Sign that the injectors are on their way out or a temp glitch with a sensor?

Man of Honour
The light comes on because something is broken rather than randomly for no reason at all. Something is wrong - be it with whatever the sensor is monitoring or the sensor itself.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Plugged a reader into it when we got back but there were no errors logged and it's been fine ever since so a bit confusing. One of my mates has driven a lot of the new diesel Mondeos as rental cars through work for his trips up to Leeds and he's had the same happen a few times, had the AA out and they've found nothing wrong each time and a engine off/on has cleared it. Faulty sensor somewhere maybe?

Man of Honour
And u guys say I buy lemons

Get a leak test done on them injectors, but could be something simply like egr sensor or crank sensor some guys on stdrivers even suggest fuel filter

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;21690441 said:
To be honest though as much as it pains me to agree with DannyW I did find the ST220 a bit lacking unless you really drove it quite hard. Not night and day stuff though and not enough to justify selling it in favour of something else just on that one point.

To say it's a relatively large displacement V6 it is quite a lazy engine until you get up past 4k RPM.

Quite strange as you'd expect it to be strong right through the rev range but I think it was designed to be a lethargic cruiser and a little more exciting up the top end.

A good friend of mine has a stock STD and if he catches me in the wrong gear it'll stick to my bumper way up to silly speeds.

Man of Honour
To say it's a relatively large displacement V6 it is quite a lazy engine until you get up past 4k RPM.

Quite strange as you'd expect it to be strong right through the rev range but I think it was designed to be a lethargic cruiser and a little more exciting up the top end.

A good friend of mine has a stock STD and if he catches me in the wrong gear it'll stick to my bumper way up to silly speeds.

to be honest that 3.0 v6 has to be one of the worst engines out there, like i said the amount of fuel it uses doesnt compare to the power output ive seen e46 m3's average more mpg

Soldato
OP
Guys, just ignore him when he posts. It's DannyW, he comes out with utter bilge. Ignore him and move on, else it'll turn into another trashed thread which I'd rather it not :p

Soldato
OP
On a run I can average 36-37mpg, at 70mph. My commute which is about 50/50 motorway and town driving averages me 25/26mpg. This is from a 232bhp engine in a car weighing just under 1.5 tonnes.

Associate
Thanks for the advice, we did have a problem driving it home. Drove fine for 150 miles and took it for a lengthy test drive before hand, down some private road, all the way up to 120mph using all the rev range etc. But 10 miles from home when putting my foot down in 5th it lost all power and went into limp mode with the orange (coil light I think?) flashing on the dash. Pulled over and turned it off and back on and the light went off and it's drove fine ever since. Sign that the injectors are on their way out or a temp glitch with a sensor?

Had the same thing happen two years ago with my old ST. at first it happened once and then went away and then it came back often. Go to the point when it was happening every time I drove it. Took it to Ford and turned out to be the EGR valve, with that swapped it fixed it and the fault never returned up until I sold it.

Permabanned
I am averaging about 20mpg mostly commuting miles (10 miles a road, 10 miles dual carriageway on the way to work and 6 miles traffic, 10 miles a road on the way home)
I do drive around town a little as well, and I am running on LPG so on petrol I would be getting 22/23ish mpg.

I have seen the clock read as high as 30mpg on a run but I ran to York and back in it a couple of weeks ago and brimming the tank before and after acheived 24mpg on LPG.

Not quite as good as I was expecting it to be but only by a couple of mpg.

Is there anything worth checking that would affect the MPG apart from plugs (changed when LPG conversion was done) and air filter ?

James

Back
Top Bottom