Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Anyone know when the Aux belt, Waterpump and any other belts etc need doing on the 220? i cannot find the schedule for it having looked around. My steering has been making a whining noise and feels notchy when starting up and driving off then goes fine but i now sometimes get a slight squeel from a belt sound on startup also not sure what would need changing.

Associate
I changed my water pump aux belt at 100k as it disintegrated (ford cougar v6 belt is only one that fits)

My water pump is on its way out and I just bought one this week ready to fit when I get a chance (107k)

I changed my ps fluid last month and my pump which was loud cleared right up.

I'm still running stock alternator atm but I think that may be due this year or next going off common faults.
I haven't changed this belt in the 4 years I've owned the car but I'll change it with the alternator when it happens.

Soldato
Thanks Ill try changing the ps fluid first see if that helps any. Got in my 220 today and thought it wasn't going to start:( took 3 attempts of turning it over for a good 5 seconds to start up. Not sure if the hot weather and the fact the engine was still hot had anything to do with it as it's never been a problem before.

Soldato
Suppose with mine being a 53 plate with 75k miles on I'll have to just accept all these little jobs that might need doing due to the age and general wear and tear.
Part of me was thinking I'll keep it a few months and sell it on as I hate spending out on car maintenance normally only keeping them 12 months i get away with spending out but having missed my first 220 so much after selling it and them becoming so rare now I can see myself keeping this for a good few years I just love the whole package the car offers and the 3.0 V6.
Doesn't help that my trusty local mechanic has just closed down :( best start attempting jobs myself lol

Associate
That's the spirit, get stuck in :)

Just remember if you're going under the car to jack it safely and secure it with stands, choc the wheels and tell someone close to where you're working thst you're going under it.

Associate
I'm starting to flirt with the idea of getting an st220. I currently drive a mk3 Ghia X, which is a damn fine car, I just wish it had a bit more power and a better soundtrack!

I'd probably be looking at the higher end of the market, say around the 4k mark. Part of me thinks that's quite a lot of money considering you can get them for a lot less, however I'm after the latest revision, in blue, with the white interior and with good history.

What draws me to this car is the performance, practicality, understated looks, soundtrack and the fact that they feel a bit special. I'd be paying more for tax, insurance and fuel (although I'm getting a woeful 23mpg out of the ghia) but I imagine most other costs would fall in line with what I already own?

Soldato
I've been debating chopping this in, as I seem to do every 6 months or so at present, and have decided that instead of doing that I'll address some of the niggles annoying me (headlights need polishing, better bulbs, etc etc). The main one though is the stereo. As a bare minimum I want to get DAB and Bluetooth into the car.

There have been a few discussions further back in the thread, and I just wanted to check if they are still current. I've got the glossy black Sony 6CD setup at present. I'm happy with the speakers, just want to change the HU, keep stalk controls, and minimise any modifications for aerials etc.

Thougts?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Double-DIN is also possible but fiddly. I put a Pioneer unit in mine with steering control integration which I still got somewhere.

Don't bother with nav, it's too low down.

Look into Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.

Are your headlights xenon?

Soldato
Nah no xenon here. There's a it car audio place near me that will install it all for 40quid so I've booked it in there. By the time I've ordered radio keys and trim clips and spent ages fighting with trim I think it'll be well spent. Gone for a pioneer fhx840dab.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
£40 for the install is decent.

That unit looks very similar to the one I put in. The bluetooth worked well but it did look like a Halfords special when fitted. A bonus was if you held down the big knob it activated Siri voice prompt on my iphone.

No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto by the looks of it.

You can get xenon headlamp units that people have rewired to be plug-n-play for non-xenon cars.

Soldato
On xenons I thought that the headlight unit had to be stamped as compatible to be road legal with retros?

Just get a pair of used Xenon headlights on e-bay and a pair of decent bulbs, I have them retrofitted in mine and have never failed an MOT or been flashed.

Does require the headlights to be rewired but it can be done in an afternoon and is worth it.

Soldato
OP
Won't they be EC marked anyway if they're second hand OEM units? ;)

Just get a pair of used Xenon headlights on e-bay and a pair of decent bulbs, I have them retrofitted in mine and have never failed an MOT or been flashed.

Does require the headlights to be rewired but it can be done in an afternoon and is worth it.

This. I retrofitted mine and it was totally worth it. Brilliant upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom