Who said finding a job in I.T is hard work

Soldato
Iv just come straight out of uni studied a HND, havnt got no results yet, had an interview yesterday for a position as an I.T Support Analyst with a well respected company and they phoned me up today offering me the position...after 3 days of interviews...

It was my first interview and i thought i done terrible!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee im so happy :) :)

Permabanned
Roduga said:
I would say 'grats', but I hate IT more then I care let on and feel that you are wandering into something really really really dull. :D

I couldnt agree more, I spent a year in an IT role and hated it, so boring. Being sat around all day staring at a computer screen sucks!!

Good luck though OP as some people must enjoy it or there wouldnt be all these people in high places.

Soldato
OP
£13.5k because iv just come straight out of uni, a pay review after 6 months which bumps me upto £14.5k, then a pay review every year, i know its low but im using this as experience aswel to put on the CV as i have had no previous knowledge really with working in an I.T based job.

Caporegime
No, getting a "decent" job in IT is hard work. Anyone can walk into a £13.5K first line support role, hell I walked into one (with no academic qualifications bar my A-levels) and it was closer to £16K and that was 2 years ago.

Can you say who this company is or is against the rules of the forum?

Caporegime
sr4470 said:
True, but you gota start at the foot of the ladder to get to the top.
Again, true. But there is a difference between getting on the ladder, and being the person just holding it for someone else ;)

The OP (especially with the thread title) was giving the impression that finding "a" job in IT was easy, it really isn't. He has got himself a job after coming out of university, and for that he does deserve congratulations, however it is a poorly paid job (especially for a grad). I just don't want him convincing himself that it will always be that easy to move on. It wont.

Soldato
OP
paradigm said:
Again, true. But there is a difference between getting on the ladder, and being the person just holding it for someone else ;)

The OP (especially with the thread title) was giving the impression that finding "a" job in IT was easy, it really isn't. He has got himself a job after coming out of university, and for that he does deserve congratulations, however it is a poorly paid job (especially for a grad). I just don't want him convincing himself that it will always be that easy to move on. It wont.

Its experience, which is what im after....

Man of Honour
paradigm said:
No, getting a "decent" job in IT is hard work. Anyone can walk into a £13.5K first line support role, hell I walked into one (with no academic qualifications bar my A-levels) and it was closer to £16K and that was 2 years ago.
Was there any need to be quite so patronising?

And congrats OP on the job, hope it goes well :)

Soldato
Congrats to the OP.

You need the experience to put on your CV to even be considered for a better job, you do indeed have to start somewhere.

Now you have a job, when it comes to moving on it is not so much of a big deal being turned down, as you already have work.

Good luck with it, just try and keep the IT work fresh, as it is fun for a year then it just gets repetative. :p

Soldato
[Sniper][Wolf] said:
Iv just come straight out of uni studied a HND, havnt got no results yet, had an interview yesterday for a position as an I.T Support Analyst with a well respected company and they phoned me up today offering me the position...after 3 days of interviews...

It was my first interview and i thought i done terrible!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee im so happy :) :)

Congrats. I suppose you have to start someone. It is a low paid job and you might get sick of it. I was in your position but I left college. I then went back to university to study for a degree.

The work you will do will certainly not stretch you but owell. Just milk it, get your experience, make contacts and hopefully make the best of it.

And as others said, finding a good job in I.T. is hard. :)

Back
Top Bottom