Who said finding a job in I.T is hard work

Soldato
Well done on getting a job at everything but why did you go to uni to come out and get a £13.5k per year job and now want to gain experience to climb the ladder.

Why didn't you do that after A Levels?

Soldato
Im not expecting to get into first line difficult, but im hoping to get ffurther than that an ideally want to be responsible for maintaining systems etc, but im not sure how difficult it is to get that sort of job, or if you can get one walking out of a degree.

Congratulations on finding something, definately is encouraging to me as at least i know it possible to get something :)

Soldato
Tesla said:
Well done on getting a job at everything but why did you go to uni to come out and get a £13.5k per year job and now want to gain experience to climb the ladder.

Why didn't you do that after A Levels?

He didn't do a degree, he done a HND which are taught at university. Some places still teach them at colleges.

**** sake give this guy a break, I'm get fed up with people on here taking work matters so seriously, work is work, he has came straight out of uni and got himself a job, good on him, some people spend months scrounging off the goverment before they get a job after leaving uni, and it's usually b-cos they think their above doing *certain* jobs :rolleyes:, and also people are talking about 13.5k is like it's not enougth money to even put food on a plate, god I don't know what I hate more, money or the people that judge you for how much your worth, these days we're not people any more we're jobs and I find that so sad :(

Rant over.

Last edited:
Associate
You can walk into a job at caudwell because he's a complete bumhead and no-one wants to work for him for longer than 10 minutes.

Good on you for getting the job, experience is just what you need.

I did it an even harder way, I left Uni early as I didn't get on too well there, worked in kitchens washing up then temping then admin then IT admin, then IT then as a DBA in IT and now I'm a Technical Project Manager on good money and looking after big projects that are very interesting.

You will be starting higher up the ladder than I did and 13.5k is very respectable.

Soldato
[Sniper][Wolf] said:
Iv just come straight out of uni studied a HND, havnt got no results yet, had an interview yesterday for a position as an I.T Support Analyst with a well respected company and they phoned me up today offering me the position...after 3 days of interviews...

It was my first interview and i thought i done terrible!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee im so happy :) :)

Yeah.. but without wishing to take the polish off your cloud, I've been and done IT Support Analyst work, and thats without an HND or a degree. You're probably overqualified for the position, but without that all important real world experience to back it up this is a good point to start from, and so definately congratulations on the job.
IMO you could easily have spent those two years earning a decent wage and picking up some industry qualifications that would probably serve you better in the long run.

edit: I would seriously reccomend you start looking at professional qualifications of some form. I know you're just out of Uni, but that is your greatest advantage. You're still in the "learning curve", and picking up new qualifications will be easier for you now than it would be a couple of years down the line when you've not been learning for a while. I always fobbed it off for years claiming I was an intelligent guy and learning stuff would be easy as ever. Then I started doing it and I reckon it took me a good couple of months or more to really start to learn properly and as easily as I ever had done. The more decent proffessional qualifications you can get under your belt the better at this stage as it'll offset the lack of work experience. Combine them with a couple of years work and you should have a pick of well paid work.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Roduga said:
I would say 'grats', but I hate IT more then I care let on and feel that you are wandering into something really really really dull. :D

10yrs of it and I feel the same, Welcome lad, into the world of IT.

PS I need something different and new :(

Permabanned
Congratulations. Some people seem to be scoffing at the wages but imo this wage is about right for an entry-level post for someone without a degree. Hopefully you will enjoy it- stick with it for a year or two, get some experience under your belt, save up some money and then go get your degree I say! :D

If it's any consolation I started off on a fairly similar salary when I left uni with an honours degree (from a decent University I hasten to add, not an ex-poly :p), IT is pretty bad for wages in general atm as you tend to need a degree AND 3-5 years experience to get paid at the same level as other disciplines do straight out of uni. However if you show some initiative and take the opportunity of any interesting and exciting projects you can quickly develop the skills for more demanding roles. Good luck and hope your first day goes well! :)

Associate
Oh dear, everybody been out in the sun too long ??

Congrats on getting the job fella.

I worked for a small family business for almost 7 years before having to leave.
Found a local (and fairly large) company within walking distance and applied for anything they had going.

7+ years experience in I.T although completely irrelevant to this place seemed to go well in my favour.
Had to start in support, stayed there for 2 years and very quickly made my way up through grades to 'senior' and was doing most of the departments training.

Re-Location of the department pushed me into looking for a new job. Stayed with the same compeny and now I'm in a small team managing a server farm (and on about 8k more)
Boring most of the time, but I guess it's just what you make of it.

If you do want to stay in I.T, support is generally the way in for most people.

Associate
Its a first job after Uni, you'll learn a lot in your first 2 or 3 months. Fixing computers in a business environment is different to tinkering around fixing single computer.

Welcome to the joy of figuring out, what people are saying and what they actually mean, also the AD / User Manager / Server Manager, something most people commming into IT have not really experienced before.

The first 2 or 3 months will be fun, after that, 90% of the calls you take will be the boring access to groups / restores / forgotten passwords, but this is all footwork and time that we have all gone through. Treat the Job as your first step on the ladder, after you have 12 months experience you can start looking for better jobs, 2nd line normally reqire at least 2 years in business support area, the hard step is going from 2nd line higher.

Have fun with it, and don't listen to people say that they wouldn't do it for that much money, we all had to start somewhere.

EDIT: How stupid of me to miss it, congratulations

Soldato
I came out of University last July with a 2:1 in History. Thought it would be easy to find a job - an really, it could be if I wanted to follow everyone else into HSBC / Capital One / Insert Other Grad Program Here. However, I really didn't know what I wanted to do as a career, so just looked for a temporary position to get some income in.

Landed an ICT Technician role at the local secondary school (literally 5 mins walk - fantastic). Only £14k a year. But; I've pushed my way into all sorts of responsibilities, a bit of teaching etc. I'm now being lined up as the ICT Teacher, and with a bit of training via the GTP I'll be qualified an on a decent teachers salary this time next year (ish).

Funny how things work - just get fingers in pies, make a lot of contacts - just don't make yourself too indispensible or they won't want to promote you! ;)

Soldato
me = 5 yrs experience.

put cv out last week on the interweb thingy and have had recruiters calling me up every hour or so with positions. have a telephone interview set up for tomorrow already.

me = head hunted woo! \o/

getting that first job is always hard but try to look for junior positions, ones which will help you gain experience and offer a career path to follow. keep applying and if youre good someone will take you on

Associate
Phantom: what website did you put your CV up on?

and to the OP, welldone, get that experience, stay as long as you can handle it, you will grow out of it quickly, keep looking for other jobs with more money. once again welldone, there is nothing like the sense of relief of getting that first job.

Back
Top Bottom