Who said finding a job in I.T is hard work

Soldato
it depends really. I fell into IT after doing a customer service role and helping out the IT guys. Then from there I went into database management and ended up running the department and I was on 12k to start. However, there were lots of grads there that were stuck in that position and found it impossible to move on. And my friend did an HND at the same time as me (graduated 2003) and has had absolutely no luck with any IT interviews cos he has no experience.

Soldato
I used to work in the IT department of Richard Lawson Autologistics on my term breaks from Uni...

All I had was my Higher Computing and Higher Information Systems quals... it paid around 12k (untaxed :D).

Honestly the most boring job I've ever done in the world... ever... I was doing Computer Science at uni aswell and those two things combined made me decide to switch course to Geology (at St Andrews you do 2 courses throught to 2nd year so I didn't lose any time).

Soldato
I started doing CCNA in college, so that helped, once you're certified in a professional qualification you're more likely to be able to get a foot in the door.

Associate
It doesn't matter what you start on, no one will leave uni/college and walk into a 30k+ a year job - most people who study IT have that misconception and think they'll be made as soon as they get the qualifications. :/

Keep your feet grounded, get the experience, then aim high. That's the name of the game.

Soldato
Cueball said:
It doesn't matter what you start on, no one will leave uni/college and walk into a 30k+ a year job - most people who study IT have that misconception and think they'll be made as soon as they get the qualifications. :/

Keep your feet grounded, get the experience, then aim high. That's the name of the game.

Quoted for the truth. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the support you lot...( No thanks to the other people!!)

As i said, im using this time to gain the experience that i do not have, save up some money, get myself that new car i wanted!) then i am going to aim high once i have something respectable to place on my CV!...

In 6 months time i am looking at around £14.5k, i dont think that is bad considering my situation, sure i could have landed myself a £16k, £17k or even £18k job but how long would i have been looking for that?

If i had turned this oppotunity down how do i know that another would not have risen for me?

Soldato
[Sniper][Wolf] said:

As i said, im using this time to gain the experience that i do not have, save up some money, get myself that new car i wanted!) then i am going to aim high once i have something respectable to place on my CV!...

In 6 months time i am looking at around £14.5k, i dont think that is bad considering my situation, sure i could have landed myself a £16k, £17k or even £18k job but how long would i have been looking for that?

If i had turned this oppotunity down how do i know that another would not have risen for me?

you've done the right thing dude. Well done, and enjoy the experience :)

Associate
[Sniper][Wolf] said:

14.5k is enough to live on. Heck, people make do on 11.5k/year and do fine. Just manage your outgoings and you'll be fine.

Do you live on your own or at home?

Soldato
For me, having 'only £14k' a year to live on wasn't an issue - at uni I had to manage on a £3k/yr loan and £250 a month from Co-op, which I hated.

Soldato
Congrats on the new job mate!

I work in IT, admin/support role. Also started of on a similar wage to you (14k), but now on over 20 so it does go up. Just go on as many courses & get as much experience as possible....all looks good on ya CV when you wanna go 25k +.

I used to work in a factory, so sitting on my arse eating cake, drinking Earl Grey & looking on the net whilst gettin paid is great :D

I'm not too bothered about earning 30k+, as long as it pays the bills, my family are the most important thing to me :)

GL & HF!!!

Soldato
Thats a bit poor - but well done for getting work so fast.

I applied for about 150 jobs before i landed my first place in a Web Applications Support role - starting at £18k a year :)

Soldato
"I wouldn't get out of bed for that money - grad or not"

I agree, me neither. Not really that suprising it was easy to get to be honest. Not meaning to be harsh, just realistic.

Back
Top Bottom