• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who will build a Ryzen PC (computer)

Associate
If it can match the single core performance of my 4790 and I can get an ITX motherboard I'll certainly take the plunge. My bother is also currently in the market for a new midrange desktop which assuming it does the job looks like it'll be a 4c8t ryzen.

Soldato
of course, there will be massive take up, pretty much anyone on a Haswell or below will probably see decent gains depending on situation.

I plan on swapping my 4770k for a the top 8/16, as i will gain DDR4, m2 slot and more cores over my current z87 setup.

My brothers on an i5 2500k, hes looking at an 8/16 as well, few guys at work are looking at changing over also.

Uptake will be huge if price and perf is good.

Soldato
As long as the IPC is Haswell and above, as long as I can get a stable 4.2GHz+ overclock, and as long as the motherboard features are as good as the Intel equivalent, then I'll be jumping straight to Ryzen. My 2600K has served me well but I'm doing more encoding these days and h.265 takes ages :p.

Associate
I pretty much have everything apart from motherboard and processor.

NZXT Phantom case (Black)
EVGA T2 Supernova 1000W Platinum
32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M2 Nvme
I'll be using my Fury X until Vega appears due to freesync :)

I'm looking at the ASUS ROG Crosshair as my MB and i'll be getting the 1800X with some form of AIO I expect, considering the newish EVGA ones...

Soldato
I'm not sure I use any apps that require 8 cores, I know Lightroom will use up more than 4 but it really tails off in the remaining cores so four faster cores may be better than 8 slower ones, need to wait and see really.

Soldato
If cheap enough, maybe at the lower end to replace the fx8350 machine a family member uses.

Higher end, nope. 5820K is still fine,even if Ryzen is better, I'm not one to constantly sell and change parts, when not really needed.

Soldato
Think I will, have a backup 4790 PC so I could just get MB+CPU as I have 32GB DDR4 also. Don’t know if Windows would activate after the upgrade though?

Associate
FredFlint;30491395 said:
Don’t know if Windows would activate after the upgrade though?

I'd be very surprised if you didn't need to re-install Windows, as you would likely need to with changing between boards even with the same CPU. I would re-install it anyway. Windows 10 will obviously work though as long as you don't have a restricted to one machine version.

Soldato
I'll be going Vega first as I'm currently on a 6600k, but certainly mid summer time I will very likely drop one in if the IPC isn't too far behind.

Associate
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new build. My current build is nearly 8 years old now. It has served me well but is beginning to show it's age.

I almost went with kabylake and by chance found out about the pending Ryzen release. Basically, I'm undecided what to go with but the hype surrounding the Ryzen release is enough to keep me patient until all is revealed and I can then compare cost / performance etc before deciding what to buy.

Soldato
I currently have a Haswell 4770k and have been finding parts for a new build. I did buy a NAS earlier in the year, but didn't like it, so decided to build a seperate PC for 24/7 home server type solutions.

Then decided I would quite like that build to do my encoding for me, and means I wouldn't need such a powerful PC for the day to day stuff, so decided I was going to build an i5 machine for that. Then heard about the new Kabylake stuff just around the corner, then the Ryzen hype.

So I decided to start buying parts. So far have everything except the cpu / motherboard. So I have a Corsair h115i, Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA case, 16GB DDR4 (2400 MHz), Super Flower Platinum King 450W 80 Plus Platinum PSU, AMD RX480 4GB GPU (although I might keep that on the daily). And I already have various HDD's, including big mechanical drives, and reasonable ssd's. So I'm pretty much set up for the final buy on release.

My budget for cpu/mb is / was £320 (stupid rainforrest gift cards meaning my coin is tied up there after the return of the NAS). But if it looks like I could get a 8c/16t cpu for close to that budget, I'll buy the mobo out of my "pocket money" and just go all in on the lower tier 8c/16t, otherwise even a 6c/12t will be more than ample.

I'll be keeping both systems anyway. And either cpu will be vast overkill for the server machine, although I do hope to use it to build encoding queues in handbrake, and just let it run 24/7, hence the half-decent cooling (I probably wont overclock either system, well, by much anyway. And my current H60 v2 works ok, keeping temps under 50 deg c at full load running push/pull on the 4770k).

Basically I am waiting on a couple reviews of Ryzen to pop out, with healthy benchmarks, then I'm all over buying the last components. If it turns out that Ryzen isn't as good as hoped, I always have the i5 plan to fall back on. Or wait a few weeks / months for Ryzen prices to fall due to little take up (I'm sure even if it doesn't stack up for gaming, it still looks good for encoding / transcoding, which will be the main use anyway).

Back
Top Bottom