Poll: Who will you be voting for on May 5th?

Which political party will you vote for?

• Liberal Democrats

Votes: 187 20.5%
  • Conservative

Votes: 311 34.1%
  • Labour

Votes: 161 17.6%
  • Regional Party (Plaid Cymru, SNP, etc.)

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • Issues Party (BNP, Greens, UKIP)

Votes: 45 4.9%
  • Independent candidate

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • Abstaining from voting

Votes: 107 11.7%
  • Not eligible for voting

Votes: 74 8.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
This forum isn't representative of the electorate. :p It seems to be a lot more right wing than the general population as a whole.

You could run the same poll on a forum dedicated to the environment, or sudents or a style of music and you would generally see a different set of results on each. I'm not quite sure why right wing viewpoints are more popular for a forum dedicated to computer hardware but there you go :D

To get a fair poll, you would need to get a cross section of all ages, geographic locations, income levels etc. This is what companies like MORI do and supply the results to the TV

Associate
starscream said:
This forum isn't representative of the electorate. :p It seems to be a lot more right wing than the general population as a whole.

You could run the same poll on a forum dedicated to the environment, or sudents or a style of music and you would generally see a different set of results on each. I'm not quite sure why right wing viewpoints are more popular for a forum dedicated to computer hardware but there you go :D

To get a fair poll, you would need to get a cross section of all ages, geographic locations, income levels etc. This is what companies like MORI do and supply the results to the TV

yup its definately a strange one.

I reckon this forum has a large student population, and they tend to be left-leaning, so...its all very interesting. Well for me anyway.

The YouGov poll favours the tories better than the rest, and this poll only takes into account people who are sure that they are voting.

Permabanned
PeterEyres said:
yup its definately a strange one.

I reckon this forum has a large student population, and they tend to be left-leaning, so...its all very interesting. Well for me anyway.

The YouGov poll favours the tories better than the rest, and this poll only takes into account people who are sure that they are voting.

Also students are too young to remember the last Tory government.

If they did they'd remember that it was the Tories who scrapped free grants for students.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Visage said:
Also students are too young to remember the last Tory government.

If they did they'd remember that it was the Tories who scrapped free grants for students.

Not all of them :)

And personally from what I know of many students they seem to be increasingly more right wing and self centred when it comes to what they want out of their political parties.

Soldato
If there are a lot of students on the forums I'd expect a Lib-Dem bias as they are pledging to ditch tuition fees.

My constituency is rock solid Lib-Dem anyway. I'd vote Green to make a statement but then I scanned their manifesto and it read more like a wishlist. Lib-Dem seem to be the greenest party of the big three.

Anyone know when the Natural Law broadcast is on? That's always good for a chuckle.

Permabanned
csmager said:
So are the conservatives?

To replace them with loans at a commercial rate.

So instead of owing 13k at a 2% interest rate (260 quid p.a), you pay 13k at 6% (780 quid p.a)

So under the Tories students would be over 500 quid a year worse off....i dont understand why *any* student would vote Tory....

Soldato
Visage said:
To replace them with loans at a commercial rate.

So instead of owing 13k at a 2% interest rate (260 quid p.a), you pay 13k at 6% (780 quid p.a)

So under the Tories students would be over 500 quid a year worse off....i dont understand why *any* student would vote Tory....
Because then you wouldn't be paying £9000-£12,000 for tuition fees?

They haven't even said what the money would be used for - I expect it's just to cover the actual cost of the government borrowing the money in the first place.

Associate
Pumpkinstew said:
If there are a lot of students on the forums I'd expect a Lib-Dem bias as they are pledging to ditch tuition fees.

Errr no,

As a student I am in favour of ever increasing tuition fees as it increases the cost of university for students, bring down the number who will go to university and hence they won't steal my job in a few years time.

Simple economics!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
36:) said:
Errr no,

As a student I am in favour of ever increasing tuition fees as it increases the cost of university for students, bring down the number who will go to university and hence they won't steal my job in a few years time.

Simple economics!

You're forgetting the people who would do great at uni but couldn't afford to go though.
I know in my first year it was very touch and go whether I could afford it and is partly the reason why I ended up having to go locally.

Permabanned
Labour for me

I know people always say that Tony Blair was wrong for going into Iraq, but his sources of intelligence told him there were weapons of mass destruction. What would you do if you were Prime Minster just sit back and take a chance?!! Say for example there were weapons of mass destruction the public would blame the government for not knowing about it, so he can't win either way and isn't the world a better place without Saddam Hussein anyway???

Soldato
jms.flynn said:
I know people always say that Tony Blair was wrong for going into Iraq, but his sources of intelligence told him there were weapons of mass destruction. What would you do if you were Prime Minster just sit back and take a chance?!! Say for example there were weapons of mass destruction the public would blame the government for not knowing about it, so he can't win either way and isn't the world a better place without Saddam Hussein anyway???

We can't just declare war on people we don't happen to like very much. There are plenty of other people who "the world would be a better place without" (in the views of out politicians), but that doesn't give anyone the right to start killing innocent people who happen to live nearby.

Soldato
PinkPig said:
We can't just declare war on people we don't happen to like very much. There are plenty of other people who "the world would be a better place without" (in the views of out politicians), but that doesn't give anyone the right to start killing innocent people who happen to live nearby.

The war wasnt an attack on innocent people! Sorry that statement is rubbish!
"people we don't happen to like very much". Understatement of the <insert time period here>. The war was to overthrow a powerful and ruthless dictator who killed THOUSANDS of innocent people for no good reason what-so-ever. To belittle the accomplisments of our forces in iraq by implying they were just 'picking on people they didnt like' is incredibly disrespectful to those who lost their lives. Yes innocent people did die on both sides, as is always a regretful by product of war, and they should be greived accordingly. But the future lives of the people in Iraq has been secured from Sadam by the brave men and women who fought to liberate the Iraqis and give them the ability to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom