• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's ditching 48XX for 58XX?

Associate
I'm not sure how much difference in FPS would I notice if i ditch my current 4850 crossfire setup for a single 5870 (no money for a 5870 crossfire set up). I would definitely see less stuttering due to the higher memory but with regards FPS I don't think I'd see a quantum leap. Can anyone illuminate me on this please?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sold my 4890 a few weeks back and downgraded to a 3870. I'm getting a 5850 but will be patient for a week or 2 to see if the prices will go down at all, or perhaps a non-reference cooling solution.

Soldato
I'm switching from GTX260 to 5850. Mostly for bitstreamed audio and a good boost in fps.

I know the title is 'Who's ditching 48XX for 58XX?' but I thought that was a little too specific easy! ;)

Soldato
Eventually.

I promised myself i'd spend no more than £250 on a 5870, and i'm determined to stick to it. Plus I want the VAPOR-X.

I'm going to upgrade to i5/i7 in the meantime.

If you are a gamer, this makes no sense to me. Fair enough if you can use the CPU power for something specific, but I see far too many people on OcUK blow money on CPU and memory and not enough on the graphics card.

On the other hand, if you just want something new to play with, I wholeheartedly approve!

:)

Soldato
i'm wanting the vapour X to arrive and then i will upgrade.

Reasons being i can get the same power out of a single 5870 than i do my 2 4870's. plus the electricity bill will be a bit cheaper due to the power that the 5870 doesn't use compared to my current cards.

Man of Honour
If you are a gamer, this makes no sense to me. Fair enough if you can use the CPU power for something specific, but I see far too many people on OcUK blow money on CPU and memory and not enough on the graphics card.

On the other hand, if you just want something new to play with, I wholeheartedly approve!

:)

Although you do have a point with reference to the gpu, I upgraded from a E8400 to a i5 with the same gpu and the difference is very noticable! So I would say based on my findings that an upgrade cpu/memory wise is almost as important as the gpu.

Associate
my asus 4850's were overheating, so I sold one, so I'll upgrade to 5850 as soon as they are in the channel. Played Arma2 last night on one 4850 and it struggled.

Associate
I have a 4890 that never gives me less than 60FPS at 1920x1200, so I'll be waiting for a while. Early 2010 is so chocka with AAA games that should have been released this year that I can see myself upgrading then.

I'll be getting the Sapphire Vapor-X 5870. It may vent the heat into the case, but I've got an Antec 902 with excellent airflow, so no problem there. I'm waiting on whether there is an appreciable difference between the 2Gb model and the 1Gb. There didn't seem to be, in previous GPU generations.

Associate
I maybe interested in swapping my 2x4890's for a 5870x2 when and if it arrives, also depends on reviews.

But i'll also be keeping an eye on what Nvidia has up it's sleeve, no rush though as my current setup is doing fine.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm waiting for the third party coolers to come along; I couldn't work with an OEM cooling solution any more after many happy months with a near silent 4850/Trad2 combo.

I'll probably stick with a 5850 as I'm not a hardcore gamer, but it's nice to have something that makes yer games a bit nicer to play. I'm particularly keen on the idea of having a higher plateau of minimum frame rates...

Back
Top Bottom