Who's had a hair transplant?

Soldato
The thing which always puzzles me though is that you can probably patch repair relatively well in the early stages, but the rest of the balding region (and who knows how extensive that will be) is still going to fade, so if you don't keep patching, you're going to end up looking very weird. So once you start down this road you're committing to a long term expense. And of course each additional surgical intervention has a risk attached, and unless you use the same person each time the results may vary.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the process though. It's just that I'm fundamentally wary of businesses -- whether that's skin care for women or hair loss treatments for men -- which tap into our insecurities.

If you're getting a hair transplant then you're on finasteride for life which keeps the rest of the hair.

Associate
I was just about to say what has been mentioned above. Unless you want a load of transplants, you'll be on finasteride/propecia for as long as you want to keep what you have left, and even then the hair loss can still overtake that. You may well be using regaine/minoxidil as well to try and keep the hair in a growth phase. The medication is not cheap and comes with a load of potential, and nasty side effects (although they are not too common, it is a risk). Also, transplants are usually still noticeable to someone that knows what to look for, and if it is done badly, to anyone. The general consensus nowadays is go for FUE, while it is more costly, it removes the issue of scars, remember, if you have a transplant that looks horrible, or your hair loss speeds up in the areas not treated, you may well have no choice but to shave/shorten your hair, and having a 4 inch scar on the back of your head will only make it look worse. You'll also be waiting a year before you really see the effects of the transplant too.

Just some things to bear in mind.

Man of Honour
Do you personally (rather than your putative in laws) have significant anxiety about your hair loss? If you really find it hard there may be a conversation to be had, if this is just vanity or even worse, literally about wedding photos, then do not even think about it. I hope this is just corner sofa GD bait personally.

Soldato
Facebook keeps on targeting me with ads for fake hair. I can only assume it is because they scan pics and see that profile pics of me, resembles a thumb, as I never ever searched for hair replacement etc.

So with that said, I've been bombarded of late with new fancy types of toupé that you glue on. You shave the top of your pate, they glue the fake hair onto you, and then you get a super fancy haircut after. Apart from telling your weirdo inlaws to f'off and die, maybe that's a better alternative to look into? I believe it's two Brits that have come up with this new way to do it.

Soldato
I've looked into this quite a bit (losing my hair, not too gracefully, and i don't have what many would consider a "good head" to be bald...).

Where you get the procedure done is very important. You have a limited number of donor sites for moving hair, so it's best to pay more and get it done at a respected clinic. It's also good if you can talk to previous patients of the surgeon, and see what their impressions are.

If the surgeon is good, they will advise on the best pattern for the transplanted hair. If you are destined to lose all of it, they are unlikely to transplant to the front of your previous hairline but instead create a pattern that will still look ok should you lose some more in later years. There are no guarantees though and IMO you should expect to have another procedure about 10-15 years down the line (if you care about it by then, of course).

The transplanted area, if all goes well, will have about half the density of regular hair. It's enough to give coverage, but you'll have to give it a bit of length to make it look "full". Depends a bit on your type of hair though.

Apparently the UK is not a good place to have it done (not sure about this, but its what I've read). Apparently if you are serious, then go to the USA. Expect the cost to be around 30k for the maximum number of transplanted grafts.

I decided against it in the end. I think the best approach (considering current "treatment options") is to embrace it and focus the energy elsewhere.

Soldato
My brother in law had it performed a few years ago. He travelled to India to have it done after some recommendations at a private hospital.
He wasn't balding particularly badly but was thinning on the crown. I don't know much about the procedure itself but the result was pretty impressive. Its now started to look a bit thin again from certain angles as I guess his remaining original hair has continued to thin.

Soldato
I want to know what you guys that are considering transplants look like.

Is the cost, risk infertility, embarrassment of having it done worth the temporary plaster that will cover your insecurities?

Surely anyone you actually care about not only already know that your hair is thinning but also don't care either...

Soldato
I want to know what you guys that are considering transplants look like.

The irony is they’re so desperately trying to make themselves more attractive. What they’re actually doing is highlighting their weakness, insecurities and awful personality traits. Traits incidentally that anyone who is not a complete moron would find much less attractive than naturally occurring male pattern baldness.

Honestly, the depths of how shallow some people can be is mind boggling. As previously said, OP and his family are ridiculous.

Caporegime
The thing which always puzzles me though is that you can probably patch repair relatively well in the early stages, but the rest of the balding region (and who knows how extensive that will be) is still going to fade, so if you don't keep patching, you're going to end up looking very weird. So once you start down this road you're committing to a long term expense. And of course each additional surgical intervention has a risk attached, and unless you use the same person each time the results may vary.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the process though. It's just that I'm fundamentally wary of businesses -- whether that's skin care for women or hair loss treatments for men -- which tap into our insecurities.

any decent place would refuse to do you if your still young and still balding.

so yeah you don't know what your talking about.

look at antonio conte. he had one done and never needed touched up after he went to pro's the previous 2 he had were crap.

Soldato
look at antonio conte. he had one done and never needed touched up after he went to pro's the previous 2 he had were crap.

It is a bit worrying that the pro's he went to before the good one were crap.

I just think a lot (not all) of cosmetic surgery is the wrong solution to a problem that won't be solved. In this case, it is to appease OP in laws when they really shouldn't care. Some people get cosmetic surgery due to age related insecurities or because they hold themselves to a stupid aesthetic standard. I don't doubt it can have a positive effect on self esteem but i would be willing to bet that for many that is short lived and there is usually some risk involved regardless.

Back
Top Bottom