Why are 125cc's so expensive in the UK?

Caporegime
I like the weise jackets/trousers as for gloves idk how well rst last,im using a cheap no name pair off of ebay but the frank Thomas gloves and the oxford gloves aint bad

helmet the sky is the limit,you can get a decent one for around £70? but upto you how much you wanna spend,hjc do some nice lids,im using cheapish airoh

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
You can go in the shop and try on the clothing/helmets and note down what sizes you are,then go online and shop around for the best deals/prices

Agv and hjc do some helmets under 200

Looked at the Weiss and spada clothing?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
You can go in the shop and try on the clothing/helmets and note down what sizes you are,then go online and shop around for the best deals/prices

Agv and hjc do some helmets under 200

Looked at the Weiss and spada clothing?

I'm a newbie, any shops that you would recommend? or are you just browsing like you would for computer parts on google? :p

I do like the LED lights on this helmet - http://www.bikestop.co.uk/shark-skwal-helmet-matador-black-silver-white? The only thing I don't like is the price :p

Edit:

£40 cheaper : O

http://www.motoin.de/Helmets/Integr...e_uk&utm_medium=export&language=en&country=GB

Edit2:

BTW He had all the stock parts for this bike except for the exhaust, not too bothered though :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If it goes as planned in 10-12 months time after passing my A2 depending on how much money I have, I will buy KTM Duke 690 and invest in 1 piece leathers from dainese. So this kit for now should do...

Jacket - http://www.bikestop.co.uk/rst-urban-waterproof-jacket-black? or http://www.bikestop.co.uk/rst-tractech-evo-waterproof-jacket-black?

Gloves - http://www.bikestop.co.uk/rst-urban-air-gloves-black

Helmet - They don't really have a big choice of helmets for under £200 :/

Check out some other places like sports bike shop, there's a massive range of helmets under £200.
Up until a couple of weeks ago I was using an MT Thunder, decent little helmet for the price and scores well in the sharp tests if that's your thing.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Check out some other places like sports bike shop, there's a massive range of helmets under £200.
Up until a couple of weeks ago I was using an MT Thunder, decent little helmet for the price and scores well in the sharp tests if that's your thing.

I really like the alpinestars textile jackets, but I can't seem to find any shops around my area that sells them...

I went to sharp test and found this helmet to have better protection than some of £300 mark helmets :eek:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nitro-aikido

How?

Man of Honour
I really like the alpinestars textile jackets, but I can't seem to find any shops around my area that sells them...

I went to sharp test and found this helmet to have better protection than some of £300 mark helmets :eek:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nitro-aikido

How?

They know exactly how they'll be tested so they build it to pass the test with high marks I'd imagine, but then it's of no use if it doesn't fit you right whereas a more expensive lower scoring helmet might fit like a glove and therefore will offer better protection.

When I started last November I bought a MT Thunder helmet, buffalo textile jacket and trousers and some buffalo gloves. Had 2 slowish speed offs around Christmas on black ice and the gear done it's job and is still perfectly usable all that came in a smidge over £200 I think.

It's not going to be all singing all dancing lovely and cool for that price but it'll do the job while you save to pick up some higher end kit, the single piece of gear that made my riding massively more comfortable especially as I commute over 200miles a week was a pair of Hood textile jeans brilliantly made and very comfortable but there's £150 of your budget gone already.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
They know exactly how they'll be tested so they build it to pass the test with high marks I'd imagine, but then it's of no use if it doesn't fit you right whereas a more expensive lower scoring helmet might fit like a glove and therefore will offer better protection.

Oh okay, I thought something was wrong that a £70 had better scoring than some well known branded helmets at £300 mark. :o

I haven't really set a budget for the gear, I was going to first look around how much to spend. I don't mind spending a bit more on the textile jacket, I have a group with which I'll do trips so miles will go higher pretty quickly and I prefer to ride comfortably. ;)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Ok, I went to bikestop to try some clothes on and this is what I came up with in terms of comfort and value for money. By buying online I'm going to save around £130 : O

So most well known brands such as AGV, Shoei, Suberth didn't fit me well, I tried Arai which fitted me. But it was a tiny bit too loose, Shark was the only brand from their range that fitted me comfortably and passed all the test that they did in the shop.

Shark S700-S Matt Black with Silver mirrored visor

DAINESE LAGUNA SECA D-DRY

DAINESE MIG C2 Lava or DAINESE MIG C2 Nero

What do you guys think? :D

Man of Honour
I've got the Shark S990C helmet and it's great feels really well made, nice and comfy and pretty quiet, ideally get a pinlock compatible visor they're an absolute godsend no more steaming up what so ever.

Never used any Dainese kit but it's supposed to be decent, what about trousers?

Soldato
I passed my A2 last august and have a 650 bandit (black) currently, very nice machine. just recently fitted a new carbon exhaust and stainless downpipes looks awesome. Think it is supposed to be 47bhp restricted o.o. I will be doing my full test next august or the following year after winter so i can legally ride anything full power :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought this little beast :D Picking it up tomorrow!

9c9a8624e9db9d23821ac7b32962943d.jpg

Nice :) 2 stroke or 4?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Nice :) 2 stroke or 4?

4 judging by the exhaust.
Yep, its a 4T and my neighbors hate the exhaust :p
Looking at it is making me want to go test ride one, always been fond of KTM bikes!
Fun to ride, the gearbox is smooth and its really hard to miss-shift...

The Duke range varies from 125, 200, 390, 690, 990 and finally the beasty 1290. :D Which one where you thinking of test driving? The 690 is a fun bike to ride, hopefully that will be my upgrade from this.

Soldato
I thought they only made the 200? Then they restrict it to a 125, saves them making 2 bikes? That's what I read anyway :p Unfortunately I can only test the duke 125 until I pass my test! Looks like a fun bike though :)

Soldato
Invest in a lot of security. 125's are very desirable and KTMs especially.

The guy who bought by cbf125 off me was doing so as his sons was taken from their heavily bolted garage, they came in through the roof or something to get it. He was only third party too due to cost.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Invest in a lot of security. 125's are very desirable and KTMs especially.

The guy who bought by cbf125 off me was doing so as his sons was taken from their heavily bolted garage, they came in through the roof or something to get it. He was only third party too due to cost.

I will, my TPFT is £280 so its not that bad compared to £1400 for a 1.2 corsa :o

Last edited:
Associate
Not to hijack the thread but I've been looking at 125cc recently also having just passed my CBT.

I'm old enough however to just do my DAS, this was my plan originally but my only experience of riding a motorbike are those few hours from the CBT.

I'm in two minds of whether I should get a year or so of riding experience on a 125 or just go straight into the DAS. Any opinions from anyone?

Back
Top Bottom