Why are 125cc's so expensive in the UK?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Not to hijack the thread but I've been looking at 125cc recently also having just passed my CBT.

I'm old enough however to just do my DAS, this was my plan originally but my only experience of riding a motorbike are those few hours from the CBT.

I'm in two minds of whether I should get a year or so of riding experience on a 125 or just go straight into the DAS. Any opinions from anyone?

Get a cheap 125 such as CG, YBR or CBF.

Associate
Not to hijack the thread but I've been looking at 125cc recently also having just passed my CBT.

I'm old enough however to just do my DAS, this was my plan originally but my only experience of riding a motorbike are those few hours from the CBT.

I'm in two minds of whether I should get a year or so of riding experience on a 125 or just go straight into the DAS. Any opinions from anyone?

From a sheer cost perspective, it may be worth just going for the DAS. Depends on how good a deal you can find on a 125 and whether you are likely to sell it when done or lose a bit on a part ex. I'd also factor into it whether or not you plan on using it for commuting as well.

I went for a scooter to begin with and regret it a little, as commuting on a geared would have given me some experience with a "proper" bike. My intention now is to just go straight for DAS as the cost of trading is likely to be greater than the cost of extra training.

Also depends on your confidence levels but bear in mind that a DAS course is potentially aimed at CBT or post CBT to full licence, potentially with no prior experience. Maybe have a word with the school that did your CBT?

Associate
That's the thing trying to find a half decent 125cc that I probably won't even keep for a year, I'd probably end up trading it in if I did get one for something like a MT-07 which is actually the bike I'd being doing my DAS on.

I spoke to my instructor after my CBT and he recommended a 4 day course would be best for me, I wasn't worried about being on the road or anything during my CBT I just wonder how easily I'd actually get to grips with riding properly over 4 full days.

Learning to ride a bike was purely a fun thing for me I wouldn't be using it for commuting or anything my original idea was just using it at weekends and days off for adventures to Wales and stuff like that.

One

One

Soldato
I went straight to DAS from CBT. Last August actually. I already had a couple of years on the road as a car so knew the rules of the road and how traffic flows etc. If you know what you're doing on the road then just go straight to DAS imo.

Associate
From a sheer cost perspective, it may be worth just going for the DAS. Depends on how good a deal you can find on a 125 and whether you are likely to sell it when done or lose a bit on a part ex. I'd also factor into it whether or not you plan on using it for commuting as well.

I went for a scooter to begin with and regret it a little, as commuting on a geared would have given me some experience with a "proper" bike. My intention now is to just go straight for DAS as the cost of trading is likely to be greater than the cost of extra training.

Also depends on your confidence levels but bear in mind that a DAS course is potentially aimed at CBT or post CBT to full licence, potentially with no prior experience. Maybe have a word with the school that did your CBT?

I went for the scooter too, bought a new 125cc 3 wheeler then around 6 weeks later decided I wanted a proper bike. I did my geared conversion course then my 4 day DAS. In the end because i wasn't confident enough to just do the DAS the whole thing cost me a fortune. Personally I say just do the DAS, I can't see any reason to be riding around on 125cc for a year unless you really want to.

Soldato
Depends if you're 100% sure that biking is for you. Shelling out circa £750 on a Das course to find that you're not keen is expensive.

£100 on a CBT then £1500 on a 125 which you'll sell for about £1250 a year later means it gives you good experience and you'll be sure that full time biking is for you.

Insurance is then cheaper on a big bike as you have 1 years ncb.

Associate
I went for the scooter too, bought a new 125cc 3 wheeler then around 6 weeks later decided I wanted a proper bike. I did my geared conversion course then my 4 day DAS. In the end because i wasn't confident enough to just do the DAS the whole thing cost me a fortune. Personally I say just do the DAS, I can't see any reason to be riding around on 125cc for a year unless you really want to.

New scooter, on finance, is proving somewhat costly for me too. At least if I had gone for the YBR I was also considering at the time, I would have had more useful practice (although I guess any time on two wheels and an engine is valuable in its own way). Might have held its value a touch better as well. But I wanted quick and easy and was naive enough to think the scooter would be enough to satisfy the growing urge for two wheeled fun.

Hoping the DAS itself will not cost too much though, relatively speaking. Can't really fit in an intensive course but aiming to have it done before winter at least, so I can shop for more stylish transport before weather improves next year. Gonna be a long wait :rolleyes: .

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I went on a longer trip today, the power is missing... The 125 is good for town, but outside of town its struggling. It gets me from A to B in a fun way, so don't really regret getting it. But bigger journeys on a bigger bike must be a lot more enjoyable, btw seen lots of bikers today. :)

Soldato
As someone who spent 6 months and over 7000 miles on a 125, I will say it was time well spent. A 125 lets you get your skills up while not going a million miles an hour, I passed my DAS, MOD1 and 2 in the same day after 3 half days of training, with 2 minors on MOD2. No way I would have done that without the timer on the 125.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
As someone who spent 6 months and over 7000 miles on a 125, I will say it was time well spent. A 125 lets you get your skills up while not going a million miles an hour, I passed my DAS, MOD1 and 2 in the same day after 3 half days of training, with 2 minors on MOD2. No way I would have done that without the timer on the 125.

7k in 6 months on a 125? :eek:

I'm 12 stone and I hit 80mph so far and it was still going, but traffic was a head so I had to let go of the throttle... :(

Soldato
7k in 6 months on a 125? :eek:

I'm 12 stone and I hit 80mph so far and it was still going, but traffic was a head so I had to let go of the throttle... :(

Actually thinking about it, it was more like 8 months - I bought the bike in April last year and traded it in at the end of December after passing my test in October. Over 7k miles though, I track all my miles on fuelly.

I was (and still am) doing 200 miles a week just in commuting miles, plus weekend use on top.

Nothing like doing 200 miles a week, in all weather, filtering lots - to get your confidence up. :)

I've done 5k miles on my CB400 since the start of Jan, and it wasn't being ridden for about 6-7 weeks earlier this year, so that's 5000 miles in 4 or so months.

Back
Top Bottom