Why are 125cc's so expensive in the UK?

Man of Honour
I do about the same notched up at least 4k on my YBR since the start of March plus whatever I'd done up to then since November, speedo drive went though so it's only a rough calculation as my odometer didn't work once that had gone.
It can go either way though, the experience can help or it can really ingrain some bad habits.

Soldato
Same, two years and 10k in all weather. loved it and made jumping on a 750cc 105bhp bike no worries. Obviously still very cautious :p

So long as you are aware of how you're riding you shouldn't puck up many bad habits. I rode for two years then passed with no minors on mod 1 and 1 on mod 2. Ask any instructor and they much prefer teaching people who have done time on a 125 as its just about polishing and learning to pass your test.

After all that's all they teach you rather than proper "how to ride"

That cones with experience which is much better to do on a 125 IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
Any idea what sort of MPG the ER6 can do in the real world? I've seen some claims of better but most seem to put it in the 50s at best. Fuelly scores are a bit all over the place but some apparently manage 60s.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Set the trip meter and clock up how many miles you can do on a tank full

@ic3 it gave me time to save up for my first big bike,I had a 100cc then a kmx then a cagiva mito in that time

Cagiva mito must have been a blast? But I bet it wasn't exactly trouble-free? :p

Soldato
Too many riders complain that a 125 doesn't have the power to get you out of trouble...
In my experience, nothing has the "power to get you out of trouble", unless that's what got you into trouble in the first place.

Riding a 125 teaches you not to rely on power and instead make full use of forward planning and observation to stay safe. No blazing past in overtakes or anything, because you have to plan them and time them with plenty of safety margin. I still ride insanely fast sometimes, but I do it with adequate space and safety. Can't say the same for a lot of other riders, especially as the Summer ones are out now!

Caporegime
cagiva mito was the worst bike ive owned for reliability,it was fast while it lasted but kept breaking down,the 7th gear was nice though

bigger bikes are easier to ride though imo,and for longer distances

125's are good for commuting and round town but not for long distances

Associate
Set the trip meter and clock up how many miles you can do on a tank full

I don't have one one, I'm just curious.

I'm talking from experience of twist n go, not geared but a 125 can be decent for traveling a fair distance, as long as you are mainly sticking to back roads and are not in much of a hurry. Thrilling it ain't but I've been about 150-200 miles in a day, just riding for the hell of it. Costs me about a tenner or less in petrol and is relatively relaxing. I think I would rather try it on a bigger bike to inject a little more fun and make the A roads less of a chore though.

Caporegime
Oh,I'm guessing around 50-60mpg think they are around 70 odd bhp

Yh you can do long distances on them but they will fatigue you more than a bigger bike,plus you have to thrape them a little to hold 60-70 mph,I had to keep feeding mine with expensive 2 stroke oil aswell

Bigger bike is just more relaxed and easy,better brakes,grip aswell

Last edited:
Soldato
Bigger bikes are easier, but my '02 125 Dragstar still went all the way to Cornwall and back, up to Scotland and back, and then down to Devon on A-roads at 74mph quite happily without ever missing a beat. I also know it's still chugging happily away on the road, bringing delight to its newest owner now many years later.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I still can't wait to jump on something bigger, I usually cruise at 60-65mph on 6th gear. But on roads where you can go 50-60mph on a 125 you can forget about overtaking...

BTW Today some guy in a corolla block me whilst filtering, he purposely blocked the middle... Another guy made space for me, so I thanked him by sticking my leg out :D

Soldato
Yeah that was what I got tired of - 60mph road and a lorry or van or car doing 40, on a 125 you need a good 15+ seconds to build up speed and overtake, which means a quarter of a mile (or more) to overtake. Even on a 400 with only 50bhp it's a case of drop a gear or 2, 2-3 seconds and you're past and back on your side of the road. The instant torque of a v-twin would make overtakes even easier, just means you have to work the gears more on a smaller bike with less torque.

And sat at the front of lights on a 125 you'll get idiots trying to beat you away, they see the L plates and thing you'll be slow. You get more respect on a big bike with a throaty exhaust.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Yeah that was what I got tired of - 60mph road and a lorry or van or car doing 40, on a 125 you need a good 15+ seconds to build up speed and overtake, which means a quarter of a mile (or more) to overtake. Even on a 400 with only 50bhp it's a case of drop a gear or 2, 2-3 seconds and you're past and back on your side of the road. The instant torque of a v-twin would make overtakes even easier, just means you have to work the gears more on a smaller bike with less torque.

And sat at the front of lights on a 125 you'll get idiots trying to beat you away, they see the L plates and thing you'll be slow. You get more respect on a big bike with a throaty exhaust.

I'm doing A2 ASAP, selling duke and depending on how much money I'll have... get something with better punch. :D

Soldato
Yeah that was what I got tired of - 60mph road and a lorry or van or car doing 40, on a 125 you need a good 15+ seconds to build up speed and overtake, which means a quarter of a mile (or more) to overtake.
That's what I liked - I could get 74, but it took time, which forced you to plan things rather than just relying on power alone. Good riding sense habits came from that.

You'd think that...
But then, you'd think that being 7' 2" and packing muscles that make 8-Pack look like Pee Wee Herman would seriously discourage idiots from 'avin' a go coz they fink they're 'ard enuff... yet whenever I was out with a friend matching that description, it was always him they started on.

I think they just look at 'a bike' and see a challenge, regardless.
The only difference between a 125 and the bigger bikes is that the latter puts them in their place VERY quickly.... and then the 125 just ices the cake when they filter past the shamed idiots at the next set of lights anyway!! :D

Back
Top Bottom