• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are GPUs so expensive?

Associate
But you're looking at the creme de la creme of gaming. The absolute best. Give me an example where the best of something is cheap?

Even something simple like a biro - Bic charge 9p vs £20 for a Parker. Other things like Jeans - £6 for Asda vs £65 for Ralph Lauren. Those are very extreme price differences.

The price difference between low and high end GPUs is lower than a lot of other products.

So firstly 4K as a display format has been with us quite sometime and its been affordable for 4yrs+ it’s not new. Secondly who decides what is “the top end” GPU performance its the same vendor that wants a huge GP margin on those products. The best GPUs for gaming used to be an order of magnitude cheaper and Nvidia are making you pay for generational perf gains instead of giving it to you as part of product and technical improvements... for what is essentially mass produced consumer electronics that sit inside a box. Gamers need the GPU to do a job very few people care what it looks like or how it’s labelled so comparisons with luxury goods isn’t a good one because they are mostly selling a brand.

Soldato
Well if you aren't going to use launch prices on consoles then I don't see the point tbh.

As in i could buy a wii today for £10.

Yes console gaming has always been cheaper. However they can do 4K today. Whereas try doing 4K on a £700 gaming pc.

I replied to this already.

If you are happy with the level of 4k that consoles provide then you can get PCs for less than £700 that will do 4K just as good. You do know that for any demanding game consoles don't do real 4K, you know that right?

And for all your talk about wanting the best frame rates in games etc, then how the hell is a console going to suit you for 4K anyway?

Caporegime
I replied to this already.

If you are happy with the level of 4k that consoles provide then you can get PCs for less than £700 that will do 4K just as good. You do know that for any demanding game consoles don't do real 4K, you know that right?

And for all your talk about wanting the best frame rates in games etc, then how the hell is a console going to suit you for 4K anyway?

I sold my console 8 months ago.

I'm just saying consoles are pushing high end graphics now for cheap. They are much better optimised. We ideally need Steam to make it's own operating system. Or a gaming OS. with all the rubbish removed. Then fully exploit the hardware available.

Consoles are so cheap yet give so much power.

Soldato
I sold my console 8 months ago.

I'm just saying consoles are pushing high end graphics now for cheap. They are much better optimised. We ideally need Steam to make it's own operating system. Or a gaming OS. with all the rubbish removed. Then fully exploit the hardware available.

Consoles are so cheap yet give so much power.

Consoles have always had decent graphics but they aren't PCs. PC's have always been more expensive, this isn't some new revelation.

And if Steam make their own operating system for gaming, then it wouldn't be a PC, it would be just another competitor in the console Market. And besides they already tried this with their Steam Machine.

Associate
From Techradar today:
"Another interesting revelation from Jon Peddie is that the analyst firm reckons Nvidia’s RTX graphics cards represent two-thirds of its gaming revenue. Note that this is revenue, not units sold, so it isn’t the case that Nvidia is selling a massive amount of these cards – but it is making a massive amount of money off them."

So GPUs are so expensive because Nvidia wants the maximum profit margin (higher than ever before) in this series and calculates they can do so.

Soldato
They can't survive on cards which are expensive, but sell less though. GPU sales have been falling all year apparently. They need to maintain market share otherwise it's a downward slope in to obscurity, which only gets worse with each generation.

Nvidia has a problem now. Where do they go from here?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if you aren't going to use launch prices on consoles then I don't see the point tbh.

As in i could buy a wii today for £10.

Yes console gaming has always been cheaper. However they can do 4K today. Whereas try doing 4K on a £700 gaming pc.

Most PS4 Pro games are no where near 4k. Here's an example:

Battlefield 1 - 2880x1620 60fps (upscaled to 4k)
Borderlands 3 - 3200x1800 60fps (upscaled to 4k)
Fallout 4 - 1440p (upscaled to 4k)
Mafia 3 - 1440p (upscaled to 4k)
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 1920x2160 (upscaled to 4k)

Only a small number support 4k at 60fps.

Soldato
Those are wider resolutions than most TVs.

But even with those res the picture always seems to look less defined and blurrier than on a PC at 1920x1080.

Soldato

Better look at the Xbox One X. many games are native 4k and it's the same price as the pro

Caporegime

Like Grim5 says Xbox One X tends to run everything at native 4K and that's considering it has an 8 core CPU that's overall about as powerful as a dual core i3, games aren't well suited to multiple cores they much prefer faster cores. Next gen will have Ryzen architecture, add to that the unified memory architecture and developers optimising for the hardware. The gap is going to be closer than ever and all PC seems to be doing at the moment is throwing more cores at everything which doesn't really equate to better gaming performance.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
From Techradar today:
"Another interesting revelation from Jon Peddie is that the analyst firm reckons Nvidia’s RTX graphics cards represent two-thirds of its gaming revenue. Note that this is revenue, not units sold, so it isn’t the case that Nvidia is selling a massive amount of these cards – but it is making a massive amount of money off them."

So GPUs are so expensive because Nvidia wants the maximum profit margin (higher than ever before) in this series and calculates they can do so.
I have been saying that for a while now. Last time I said it D.P. magically appeared (as he does when anyone says anything negative about nvidia) and tried to use some graphs to suggest otherwise, that is until I set him straight and he magically disappeared again. Lol

They can't survive on cards which are expensive, but sell less though. GPU sales have been falling all year apparently. They need to maintain market share otherwise it's a downward slope in to obscurity, which only gets worse with each generation.

Nvidia has a problem now. Where do they go from here?
What problem is that? Making a lot of profit per GPU sold? :p

All they have to do is put pricing back to the same level as pascal and suddenly everyone will be cheering for them again. They would still be making good profit, probably less than half as much per gpu sold, but they would make up the total profits by selling a lot more GPU’s overall.

I mean it is quite clever really. Release RTX, price it very high and make it seem super premium for essentially beta testing their product. Then release the next gen ones which actually have decent RT performance and charge less and people will throw their money at you!

That’s my layman theory anyways :p

Back
Top Bottom