Why aren't bikes as beautiful as they used to be?

Soldato
I second that

And for me the newer the better imo I just can't really appreciate old/classic bikes like i do cars.. maybe it will grow on me one day and i'll appreciate the classic bikes but looking a classic bikes many years ago 50+ they all looked reltively the same its only now in the past couple of decades that there is such a vast variety of bikes out there designed for different terrain, looks appeal etc etc.

What you on about...

Have you never heard of the Brough Superior?

Have you never heard of the Vincent Black Shadow?

Have you never heard of the BSA Gold Star?

Have you never heard of the Triumph Bonneville?

Soldato
OP
I second that

And for me the newer the better imo I just can't really appreciate old/classic bikes like i do cars.. maybe it will grow on me one day and i'll appreciate the classic bikes but looking a classic bikes many years ago 50+ they all looked reltively the same its only now in the past couple of decades that there is such a vast variety of bikes out there designed for different terrain, looks appeal etc etc.

1970-norton-commando-750s-1.jpg

sunbeam_m90_racer.jpg

Yeah.

Soldato
OP
I agree completely but then I am a bit biased :p
DSC_00361024x768.jpg

I went shopping a couple of years ago for a brand new litre sports bike. I left empty handed as I just didnt like the look of any of them. Problem is they are all jumping on the bandwagon to look like a motogp bike. In the end I gave up and went and bought the 999.

That is awesome, my dream bike I think! I'm riding an FZR at the moment, think I might start saving and get an '01 R1 in blue next year!

Soldato
<3

My Dad had one of these when i was little, ****ing STUNNING.

I was actually considering buying one of the new ones but they're like 20k.

My mums ex husband used to race them...wonder if he still has one in the shed? :D. And i know what you mean about the new one...lovely bit of kit with all the goodies, just hope the company keeps going long enough to stay afloat!!!
:)

2011-Norton-Commando-961-Cafe-Racer-500x504.jpg

Soldato
I dont think bikes have ever looked better than they did in the mid to late 90's.

the 916, the VFR 750 etc etc.

Fantastic.

I am the same. I actually prefer the looks of my Thunderace over that of a modern R1 or GSX-R1000 (I realise I am the only person on the planet who thinks this!). Everyone has their own era that they prefer the styling of - I haven't been struck by anything after 2000ish, and think 80's bikes look old. My father-in-law loves bikes from the 50s and 60s, but thinks anything after 1980 looks too plastic and artificial. My kids love the modern angular stuff, and think anything over 10 years ago just looks too much like an antique.

Horses for courses, everyone has their favourite style and look and thank goodness, because if everyone liked the same thing the prices would be too high on that one and we'd all have to buy ones we didn't like the look of! :)

Soldato
OP
It's not too bad but it's nothing special. It looks like a power ranger's bike or something.

I honestly just can't see any character or beauty in it.

And yeah, the exhaust looks like Optimus Prime's stubby penis.

Last edited:
Associate
I have to say I think the new R1 is fugly and much prefer the 1998/2000 shape.

Ironically when I park my bike next to my mates 2010 R1 it makes mine look dated. Even tho my bike is only 5 years old. Although he's had a tailtidy fitted and akra's it still doesn't 'flow' like the old R1 (to look at), sounds awesome tho.

GSXR1000K6 and 2010 R1

2000 Yamaha R1 (worse mistake ever selling that)

My Gixer on it's own, don't look so dated now :p

Mate who owns the above 2010 R1 also has a 98 R1 that he bought from new, shame I got no pics of it.

Back
Top Bottom