Why being an Engineer means nothing in this country

Soldato
This seems a bit like people complaining that degrees are devalued by the number of Mickey mouse degrees that you can take, however to the people that matter, your prospective employers, I think you can assume that they are well aware of the standing of your institution and the degree you gained, or the difference between a chartered engineer and an 'engineer', so there's really little to worry about :)

Soldato
OP
Jez I understand I probably am over reacting. However when you consider I'm paying an arm and a leg for a brilliant degree, then some maintenance worker comes along calling themselves an Engineer can be very frustrating.

Caporegime
When I was applying for a photo driving license, I had to get the photo signed by someone. The guidance gave a list of acceptable professions, doctors, lawyers, teachers etc. One of the acceptable professions was an engineer, so I took it to my boss, a CEng. The secretary who sits next to him said "oh I thought only doctors or the police could sign it", I pointed out that it said engineers could as well. She says "oh, I thought it had to be high-value professions". Me and the boss: /facepalm. I work at a software engineering company :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Jez I understand I probably am over reacting. However when you consider I'm paying an arm and a leg for a brilliant degree, then some maintenance worker comes along calling themselves an Engineer can be very frustrating.

I dont understand why it is?

You can use that degree to get yourself the lifestyle you want, is that not your aim? Then you will see who has the last laugh assuming that you know this will make your career. As i say i believe that you can only quantify "success" by three things, happiness, personal fulfilment, and to a lesser extent, sterling.

No-body cares what the titles are, it simply doesnt matter. At the end of the day the degree is only a combination of time and money, why should you expect anyone other than yourself to take note of it really? If it helps you achieve one of the above then thats fantastic, you have achieved what you set out to do :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

When I was applying for a photo driving license, I had to get the photo signed by someone. The guidance gave a list of acceptable professions, doctors, lawyers, teachers etc. One of the acceptable professions was an engineer, so I took it to my boss, a CEng. The secretary who sits next to him said "oh I thought only doctors or the police could sign it", I pointed out that it said engineers could as well. She says "oh, I thought it had to be high-value professions". Me and the boss: /facepalm. I work at a software engineering company :(

Should have said "that rules you out then, luv" ;)

Associate
If you have a degree in engineering becoming chartered is easy as the ImechE are just money grabbers like every other company. All you have to do is wait 4years tick all the boxers, by basically working as an engineer and you are pretty much guaranteed charter-ship.
I loathe them and everything they stand for, my company pays my membership so they can write it on business cards.

That aside i also find it funny that everyone calls themselves engineers. I enjoy hanging out the maintenance crew as they are easy going and can do things i can’t, but that does not make them engineers. I once had an argument where i was working that proved why i was an engineer and they where mechanics.

I said that i could tell them the temperature of a pipe anywhere in the factory before they could tell me. So after much discussion and micky taking, off strolled 1 guy with a thermocouple, i sat down with a pen and some paper. I was correct to 1degC pretty good i think. They no longer argue with me when i call them mechanics and electricians as that is what they are and they are very skilled at it.

Soldato

It sounds a bit like you are an engineering snob.

I employ 9 heating engineers, they had to go to college, and sit their tests before being officially labelled as such. Are they any less of an engineer than you will be when you complete your degree? No. While you may be training for a degree in engineering, an engineer dosent only cover this, engineers can be trained in anything mechanical and have the title.

Soldato
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it because no doubt you will gain recognition for your skills in the industry, and that is what matters.

I find it amusing how when people know I do computing, believe I can fix every known problem with a computer, and all my skills/knowledge revolve around operating MS Office and Windows...

Permabanned
I cannot see why this is such a big deal. It is not even a title - it is part of a job description.

The description-stealing scum, however, do not get to put CEng at the end of their name :p

Soldato
This seems a bit like people complaining that degrees are devalued by the number of Mickey mouse degrees that you can take, however to the people that matter, your prospective employers, I think you can assume that they are well aware of the standing of your institution and the degree you gained, or the difference between a chartered engineer and an 'engineer', so there's really little to worry about :)

This ^

But it is very annoying, especially people calling sky engineers. NO he is a man who screws a dish to a wall and also does some cabling. It's annoying that it isn't protected like on the continent, maybe doing that may help it gain the recognition it deserves and help get more people to come into our business.

To those telling us to quit whinging, GTFO :p and go back to another boring GD thread, us engineers in here care. For example, I don't go around telling people I am a Doctor because I can put someone in the recovery postion and apply a plaster ;)

MEng AMIMECHE for the moment, and looking forward to the CEng status in the next 4-5yrs when job prospects and salary should be very nice indeed :D

Soldato
You can get different levels of Engineer.

I agree that the gas boiler technicians are not true Engineers.. but then who is?

I'd probably say Mechanical Engineering is the true engineers.

I would say I am not as I do Building Service Engineering.. which is like engineer lite edition.

Still its pretty intense, although compared to the straight up mechanical guys thats basically all theory and hardcore maths.

Just be safe in the knowledge one day you will be chartered or maybe you are now and then you can just willy wave to all these wannabies. Then move abroad and love life

Soldato
Well for me to be truly ecognised you have to have a degree in engineering, BEng, or MEng. But then again there are lesser BTECs etc and people might start off lower in the chain but it doesn't stop them working up and becoming competant engineers.

But to become chartered, you need an MEng, or BEng to become incorporated.

Soldato
I used to get worked up about stuff like this but its just a title, I went from being a Structural Design Engineer to a Structural Design Consultant doing the same job but for different companies.

KaHn

Soldato
From the Compact OED

engineer

• noun 1 a person qualified in engineering. 2 a person who maintains or controls an engine or machine. 3 a person who skilfully originates something.

• verb 1 design and build. 2 contrive to bring about.

So a heating engineer, falls within that definition as well as someone with an engineering degree.

It's just a word at the end of the day :)

Soldato

You're at university, congrats.

Why should the world conform to your ideal? You conisder yourself an engineer, the other people who call themselves engineers probably consider themselves engineers.

Back
Top Bottom