Why do people 'crack' their knuckles?

Soldato
I need to crack my neck a few times a day, feels really uncomfortable until I do it.

My chest used to crack when I stretch, but that seems to have stopped fortunately.

Soldato
It's not bad for your joints and it doesn't cause arthritis, but.....

According to a study of people that have been doing it for 35 years, it will completely destory your grip-strength later in life.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95607.htm
Well I've been cracking my knuckles for over twenty years and my grip is silly strong! At one point I was shrugging 350 kilos and doing 400 kilo seated rows whilst cracking my knuckles daily.

Soldato
I think i do it either due to stress/anxiety or to conciously reduce the stress/anxiety, i feel just a little bit of relaxation when a knuckle cracks.

Soldato
I crack all of my knuckles, the first joint down from the knuckle on my fingers, my right wrist and all three of my thumbs joints on each hand regularly. Most of the time I do it without thinking and it really disgusts my friend who I sit next to or near in around 80% of my lessons :p. My fingers do sometimes feel stiff and there is usually a tiny bit of discomfort and cracking them stops this. I can also occasionally crack my back, knee and ankle and can crack a couple of my toes whenever. It's a bad habit really but it does feel good, brah!

Associate
Love cracking my knuckles feels great can do my neck and back sometimes as well but the knuckles is where its at. I liken it to having bubble wrap with you where ever you go.

Associate
A habit I picked up years ago, I find it relieving!

I always crack my fingers, toes, wrist and back when I wake up..feels soooo good! :D

Back
Top Bottom