Why do you not support your local team?

Soldato
No need to be abusive.

Fact remains lots of clubs have United in their name - saying you support "United" and expecting people to know you mean Man Utd is just wrong.

It really isnt.

Its arrogant perhaps but when you say "united" the default setting is Man Utd simply because they are currently the biggest "United". In 50 years time it may refer to Newcastle but as things stand "United" is the team at Old Trafford.

Soldato
OP
It really isnt.

Its arrogant perhaps but when you say "united" the default setting is Man Utd simply because they are currently the biggest "United". In 50 years time it may refer to Newcastle but as things stand "United" is the team at Old Trafford.

I agree it is arrogant, but I wanted to avoid using that word in case in inflamed things.

I do disagree though as to the use of United. It isn't clear and certainly isn't a default option.

Soldato
I agree it is arrogant, but I wanted to avoid using that word in case in inflamed things.

I do disagree though as to the use of United. It isn't clear and certainly isn't a default option.

Are you really saying that when a poster says "United" your first thought isnt "Man Utd"? (Well it might be **** but you know what i mean!! :D). What im saying is when someone says "United" you dont think "Newcastle" or "Sheffield" you DO tend to think "Man Utd" rightly or wrongly.

Caporegime
I started liking football when Liverpool were the main team in the country, they had the most coverage etc. So it's natural when getting into something that you take interest in the best teams.

I bet most kids who support top teams but are not local are the same.

Having said that, in recent years I've started admiring fulham quite a bit.

Soldato
OP
Are you really saying that when a poster says "United" your first thought isnt "Man Utd"? (Well it might be **** but you know what i mean!! :D). What im saying is when someone says "United" you dont think "Newcastle" or "Sheffield" you DO tend to think "Man Utd" rightly or wrongly.

What I am saying is if you live in an area where there is a "United" football club and you hear someone say "united" you are more likely to think of your local club.

If you went into a pub in Sheffield and said you were a United fan they wouldn't think Man Utd.

As an example (very quick Google) and you can see how other clubs will use the word "United"

http://www.compleatseanbean.com/sufcboard-press6.html

Soldato
What I am saying is if you live in an area where there is a "United" football club and you hear someone say "united" you are more likely to think of your local club.

If you went into a pub in Sheffield and said you were a United fan they wouldn't think Man Utd.

As an example (very quick Google) and you can see how other clubs will use the word "United"

http://www.compleatseanbean.com/sufcboard-press6.html

Agree totally but this isnt a pub in Sheffield.

Soldato
My dad supports Spurs and his dad suported Spurs and they both used to live in North London in Chingford/Walthamstow. I live closer to say West Ham and Leyton Orient, maybe even Dagenham & Redbridge, but continue to support Spurs because of my dad and grandad. You can't imagine the stick I used to get at school from all the kids who used to support Arsenal/Man U/Liverpool. But I stuck at it and never switched to be a glory hunter.

Oh and I live like 5 mins away from Spurs current training ground, so thats got to count for something. Right?

Soldato
But that doesn't change the fact that "United" means different things to different people. Assuming that people will take that to mean "Man Utd" is just wrong.

There are posters on here from all over the UK

Indeed but when someone says "United" and people reply with "Sheffield?" that is being arsey for the sake of it.

Back
Top Bottom