Why do you not support your local team?

Soldato
I do support my local team - that are/were in the premiership at the time - and have done since the early 90s when I was kid and went to see them play.... Arsenal. Football used to be about locality and that's what made the teams who they were, and why you were called "Liverpool" or "Portsmouth", the players came from that region (mostly) anyway. When money took over in the 90s and the premiership started, that all changed. Teams nowadays may as well be called "Collection of worldwide players 1", "Collection of world players 2", etc. I mean I still support Arsenal but....the game has changed so much I mean.

Soldato
I often think of Leeds rather than Man U (who I think of as Man U or Man Utd) as United. If I talk to anyone about a game that was on, I'd never refer to any United as just United. I think it's an affectionate term that you would use as a fan of a club and I wouldn't immediately assume Man U.

I wouldn't go around referring to Forest as The Reds and expect people not to think of a million and one other sides it could be.

Soldato
I was taken to my first football game, Chelsea vs Newcastle, about fifteen or so years ago. So, I've supported them since I was about 6. That was at about the point where I, and the kids around me, became properly interested in football.

And I've supported them ever since. I never went to any Gravesend/Northfleet football games. And to be honest, I enjoy watching/supporting Premier League football over Division X nobodies.

Soldato
Support all things nottingham and the shire.

Family and friends dragged me along to the forest in the early days, truth be told though i was allready primed on hand me down forest shirts from my cousins:)

Im just happy to follow support the game in general though, so and too many good will and faith instances surround the game, and the older i get, the better it feels... premier, the football league and non league, it's all good.

Doubt there's many of us, but im just as happy to see notts do as well as the forest... just proud of the city.

Soldato
Support all things nottingham and the shire.

hobbitz.jpg

?

Soldato
I support Sheff Utd who are my local team. But I follow Arsenal closely, because when I started taking an interest in football, I was a Goalkeeper, and it was at the time Seaman was at his best, and he was my hero. :p

4p

4p

Soldato
I'm from Barnsley, i moved out when i was 4. So i didn't know football. I lived in Huddersfield and supported them for a while, nice stadium tbh. Then i moved to Manchester in those important teen years of playing football. And here i am, a United fan :)

I was gutted when Huddersfield didn't get the promotion though :(

Permabanned
I lived in Ireland for several years and I was amazed at the glory hunting of supporters over there. I would say at a guess something like 40% of Irish football fans support Man Utd. Liverpool are the other big side with maybe 25% of support. The remainder is mixed. There is a huge transient fanbase over there who will support whichever team is winning and will change like the wind. I remember seeing lots of Blackburn fans in the early 90s for example.

For those in here - if you don't support your local team and support someone else - why? Not looking to judge anyone, I'm just interested.

It's not glory hunting. It's just down to the fact that local football is ****. I'm born and raised in Northern Ireland, but my first team is Liverpool. My dad is a scouser and the English side of my family are all Liverpudlians. Been over the water plenty of times for matches. My local team is Coleraine FC. I support them because my great grandad was a founding member and managed them as well. But there's parts of the country you simply won't own up to what local team you support as it'll get you a kicking or killed. When I lived in County Armagh (for the majority of my teens) I didn't let it known which IFA team I supported. Particularly as I went to school in Lurgan. You either supported Glenavon or Lurgan Celtic. Which meant you were either a Protestant or Catholic, Loyalist/Unionist or Republican/Nationalist. The fact that Coleraine was founded in an Orange hall and my great grandad was a founding member and manager means I'm firmly on the Protestant/Loyalist/Unionist side. Whether I like it or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not glory hunting. It's just down to the fact that local football is ****. I'm born and raised in Northern Ireland, but my first team is Liverpool. My dad is a scouser and the English side of my family are all Liverpudlians. Been over the water plenty of times for matches. My local team is Coleraine FC. I support them because my great grandad was a founding member and managed them as well. But there's parts of the country you simply won't own up to what local team you support as it'll get you a kicking or killed. When I lived in County Armagh (for the majority of my teens) I didn't let it known which IFA team I supported. Particularly as I went to school in Lurgan. You either supported Glenavon or Lurgan Celtic. Which meant you were either a Protestant or Catholic, Loyalist/Unionist or Republican/Nationalist. The fact that Coleraine was founded in an Orange hall and my great grandad was a founding member and manager means I'm firmly on the Protestant/Loyalist/Unionist side. Whether I like it or not.

This. English people don't seem to understand this by and large.

Oh... and... uh... <insert anti-bin dipper comment> :D

Caporegime
Sheffield Wednesday.

If you're going to be anal and say local club, that would be Denaby United, of which my Grandad was chairman for many years (have a picture of him with the FA Cup) and they folded a few years ago.

Dad supports Wednesday as well. Watched United a lot as a youngster and enjoyed the way they played football (Giggs :D) and used to go watch them, same applies for Leicester (where I grew up) lots of my friends supported them and I'd go watch them too.

My family support all different teams to be honest, got some right odd people in the family. No Sheffield United fans though :p

Back
Top Bottom