Why I haven't been on the forums (for quite some time)

Associate
Hey everyone, happy christmas and new year.

Those that frequent the GPU subsection should have realised I haven't been around for quite a while.

Anyway I have started a new online business venture with 2 friends a Optician and a Finance Major in the retail eyewear sector.

This is not a pitch to sell things just to get peoples feedback on the second redesign of the site (we have been up for roughly 2 months) as I didn't like the first one.

I am using eyetracking and heatmaps on the site so I can see what people are doing.

If interested take a look a tell me your opinions.

The website : https://lenshour.com

Hopefully this is ok in the general section. If not and the mods don't allow the post I can delete it.

Cheers Nikolas

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
First thing that jumps at me is that the prices are all in Euros by default, we do not use euros....

Annoying and makes the site look amateur :)

Commissario
Aside from looking like a shameless business plug thread, I wouldn't buy from that site. It just doesn't look like a reputable store and I've seen similar designs in the past that look like con sites.

Associate
OP
First thing that jumps at me is that the prices are all in Euros by default, we do not use euros....
Annoying and makes the site look amateur :)
The GeoIP redirects to specific currencies causes very slow load times (something I am trying to get through ATM) because it has to go through another DNS.

Aside from looking like a shameless business plug thread, I wouldn't buy from that site. It just doesn't look like a reputable store and I've seen similar designs in the past that look like con sites.
To be honest it's not a business plug thread, I really need some feedback and OCUK is one of the forums I mostly visit.
Why doesn't it look reputable ? Any specific reason ?
It's a wordpress theme that I have modified (homepage is custom)

Man of Honour
That currency box just ruins the page and looking at of the back of her jacket is not very welcoming for a product worn on the face.

Last edited:
Associate
You offer the option to change to £ on the home page but when I click "Sunglasses" it defaults back to euro... It also defaults if you change to contact lenses or eye glasses.

I'll be honest and say it reminds me of those fake rayban sites that pop up all over facebook.

Good luck to you though :)

Soldato
Technically the site is decent enough, nice and responsive....but the branding isn't strong enough. The logo is kinda lost on the landing page and too small on the rest.

Soldato
Needs a filter for Men, Women, Kids.

The brands which appear on every page take you to all products for that brand, e.g. when in Sunglasses clicking CooperVision take you to Contact Lense.

Soldato
I don't like that the price gets hidden if I hover anywhere near one of the selections.

Put the "Add to cart option" under the price? Price defaulting to Euros is off putting for UK buyers.

Commissario
Why doesn't it look reputable ? Any specific reason ?
It's a wordpress theme that I have modified (homepage is custom)

You offer the option to change to £ on the home page but when I click "Sunglasses" it defaults back to euro... It also defaults if you change to contact lenses or eye glasses.

I'll be honest and say it reminds me of those fake rayban sites that pop up all over facebook.

Good luck to you though :)

First thing I thought as soon as it opened as well.

I'm not alone it seems.

Associate
OP
a) The biggest problem I see everyone mentioning is the currency switch. So I will add auto GeoIP switching (have done now). You guys are right it defaults back to EUR for some reason. (looking now)

b) Ray-Bans - We have a blog post on recognizing fake Ray-Bans vs counterfeits on our blog, don't know exactly what else to do about that. I guess that has to do with branding I suppose ?

c) Filters - I will need to check how to segment them

d) for the homepage image we will do a photoshoot its a free stock image for now

e) blurry images I will need to resize the thumbnails to be bigger and run regenerate thumbnails (what resolution are you guys that saw blurry photos running) ?

f) the photos were taken by a "professional" photographer so I will need to see with him

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
  1. Agreed that the currency shouldn't be so prominent.
  2. Nothing on the homepage tells me what lens hour is about or it's USP - is it just another place to buy glasses?
  3. I don't like the use of the world 'paraphernalia' on the homepage. It's commonly used in association to drugs "drugs paraphernalia".
  4. On the product pages in the grey footer, the headers INFO and SHOPPING need to be more distinctive because they look like links.
  5. Subscribed text on the newsletter button is pixelated on retina but apply coupon isn't on the cart. They should be consistent.
  6. The images at the bottom of the cart "free shipping, 12 month warranty, etc" look like an afterthought and don't sit well within the theme of the website. They also aren't crisp on Retina and don't match those in the header.
  7. Why have we got shop in the header, if the other headers also go to the shop? This is confusing as it makes me think shop is the only way to access the shop.
  8. I can only access new products from the homepage, it's lost after that.
  9. Why is the contact form so narrow and squashed?

Soldato
The currency drop-down seems to have no impact once I click into the eyeglasses section.

Also, all of the thumbnails are very blurry.

Overall I wouldn't buy from this site. It looks and feels fake and it's not at all clear why I should buy here vs a high street optician.

I'm also confused by the blog post '6 Questions We Asked Ourselves Before Starting An Ecommerce Website' - why would anyone looking to buy glasses care (it's too much about you, not about the customer)?

Last edited:
Commissario
First page should be one which people can buy stuff, the index of the page of the site with the buttons on is both pointless and looks like a scam.

Yeh I forgot to mention this too, the homepage should be products, not an 'enter' page - those are so year 2000 :p

Back
Top Bottom