Why is 10 Gb Ethernet still so expensive?

Associate
Got to say I'm loving my 10Gb network now its up and running. Can copy a 5Gb file at 1.1Gb /s :) Being able to scrub through HD/4k footage/multiple input sources for comp is so nice, without having to localise everything.

Associate
For storage have a:
QNAP TS-473-8G NAS server
QNAP LAN-10G2SF-MLX network adapter
And single 2Tb mx500 ssd atm, have some older raid hard drives to add in.

Just got a switch to be able to connect more workstations, which is:
QNAP QSW-1208-8C 10GbE Unmanaged Switch - and have twin sfp+ cables which are trunked together between nas and switch.

workstations are built on the asRock trx40 creator using the aquantia 10Gbe.

Soldato
For storage have a:
QNAP TS-473-8G NAS server
QNAP LAN-10G2SF-MLX network adapter
And single 2Tb mx500 ssd atm, have some older raid hard drives to add in.

Just got a switch to be able to connect more workstations, which is:
QNAP QSW-1208-8C 10GbE Unmanaged Switch - and have twin sfp+ cables which are trunked together between nas and switch.

workstations are built on the asRock trx40 creator using the aquantia 10Gbe.
Nice setup - how do you find the Qnap switch? I'm looking at the netgear options at the moment but that qnap is similar price range

Associate
Nice setup - how do you find the Qnap switch? I'm looking at the netgear options at the moment but that qnap is similar price range
Its great, pretty idiot proof (thankfully). I'm not running vms or anything complex, but it handles a mixture of sfp and GBe just fine, and is completely silent - was a bit worried about the small fans but no issues there. Front leds are easy to read and tell if something is running at full speed, or 1Gb/s, or having issues. Still feels expensive for what it is, but no complaints other than that.

Soldato
Got to say I'm loving my 10Gb network now its up and running. Can copy a 5Gb file at 1.1Gb /s :) Being able to scrub through HD/4k footage/multiple input sources for comp is so nice, without having to localise everything.

Nice one :)

Just had my qnap and 16gb memory upgrade has just came..
And 5 X 4TB toshiba HDs from @ocuk

Setting it up now :)

Soldato
Everything has and connected.

10gb nas to my PC and it says I'm connected @10gb :)

But I have a problem.
The Nas will show up in windows 10. But if I try to double click to open I get and error "check the spelling of the name ect"

Should I use 1 of the 1gb lan ports on the nas to get it on the net?
Confused like hell :(

Oh and windows has given the 10GB ports 169.254.93.200 and the other one is 169.254.231.29

Back
Top Bottom