• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is AMD quiet about black screens on 290x?

My "blue" screens are probably caused by the 2d clocks fluctuation during video playback or advert voltage fluctuation to set different clock speed. The amd power tune inthese 290 series is new and it might be related to it. These cards also dont have memory voltage control in its memory contollers maybe it has something to do with these.
Also I had 7979 dcu2 top previously and it had remnants in the system so in safe boot i uninstalled with driver clean from guru3d. The first time it recognised my card as a 7900 series. After complete uninstall with it and a reinstall of 13.12 it became as it should and recognised as r9 200 series.
Also i had concerns my psu might not be powerful enough. 750w 80 silver xigmatek vector s750. So i feed my card with two different pcie cables from psu instead of using two headers of just one.
After removing second pcie cable, cempletely uninstalling drivers, then installing new ones and then uninstalling sapphire trixx software seems to fix my problems. Now its not freezing or crashing or giving me BSOD.
Give amd some time 13.12 is just the first driver for 200 series. I believe they will make new drivers specially for them separately from the rest or at least for hawai series.

Can I use MSI afterburner? I didn't know that. I liked gpu tweak bc of its graphics features that trixx totally lacks that's why I uninstalled it. But since after doing that and other things I posted above it runs fine and other people also saying trixx gives them bsod. So it seems trixx really is the culprit here.

Yeah you can use MSI Afterburner, it does give you an option of Aux Voltage which I think is used to increase the Memory Voltage.

I think 13.12 was more of a hack driver for the 200 series, I think 14.1 was meant to be released at the same time as the 200 series, but due to Betafield 4 they delayed it.

Yeah you can use MSI Afterburner, it does give you an option of Aux Voltage which I think is used to increase the Memory Voltage.

I think 13.12 was more of a hack driver for the 200 series, I think 14.1 was meant to be released at the same time as the 200 series, but due to Betafield 4 they delayed it.
My opinions exactly... since they had to release a driver for already on the market gpu series, they released bare minimum support driver as the first driver.

Wrong!!

Aux is like PLL voltage and is nothing but fine tuning a memory overclock. It might allow you to get a little bit more from a memory overclock. The core voltage is the MOST IMPORTANT when it comes to overclocking the memory on Hawaii. This is what a lot of people don't realise and they wonder why their card black screens. I know thats not the case for everyone either as some black screens are faulty cards and as a result of immature drivers.

I don't overclock so is there a way to discern a faulty card from a good card with bad drivers? Like a stress test of some sort? Only test I won't run is furmark bc it's bad for any card.

If you have Metro Last Light run the benchmark in that. If I overclock my VRAM and it us unstable I will get black screens after a few minutes.

Leave your clocks at stock to see what happens and see if it black screens.

Sleeping Dogs Extreme is 'Purgatory' for AMD Tahiti/Hawaii cards. The amount of wattage it pulls beggars belief. Its like playing Russian Roulette with your graphics cards.
I was gonna ask that as I don't have Metro LL but have Sleeping Dogs on steam. How many runs should I do one after another you reckon? Because it's short :) Btw I am on 1080p maybe it doen't push the limits at this resolution?

Settings are:
1920x1080p at 60Hz
AA Extreme
High Rez On
Shadow Rez High
Shadow Filtering High
SSAO High
Enable Vsync On
Quality Motion Blur On
FPS Limiter Off
Crowd Density Extreme

First Run
Avg 58.0 Max 65.4 Min 44.4
Second Run
Avg 57.7 Max 68.0 Min 45.7
Third Run
Avg 57.9 Max 66.5 Min 42.4
Fourth Run
Avg 58.0 Max 68.2 Min 46.4
Fifth Run
Avg 58.0 Max 66.0 Min 45.7
Sixth Run
Avg 57.8 Max 68.5 Min 46.6
Seventh Run
Avg 57.6 Max 68.1 Min 46.3

CPUID HW Max GPU 75 C/167 F Min(idle) 34 C/93 F

Right around third run fans speed increased, maybe before too but it's so quiet that I can't understand. Btw it's on auto but I'm planning on cratin a custom fan profile a little more aggressive than auto but not so much.

So these runs are enough to understand if it's faulty?

Three runs is pretty demanding. Five if you're feeling brave. Ten if you want to RMA your card.
Yea the SD bench with Extreme making the VRM1 temp incredible hot...easily hitting above 100C for my 290x if overclocking with increased voltage. Wouldn't recommend running that for long period of time.

Three runs is pretty demanding. Five if you're feeling brave. Ten if you want to RMA your card.
I did seven and it didn't black screen so it is good news yes? I wish I've asked you first bc after fifth it became louder, and I really don't wish to RMA my card. Do you think I managed to do something bad to it? You made me a little worried.

Wrong!!

Aux is like PLL voltage and is nothing but fine tuning a memory overclock. It might allow you to get a little bit more from a memory overclock. The core voltage is the MOST IMPORTANT when it comes to overclocking the memory on Hawaii. This is what a lot of people don't realise and they wonder why their card black screens. I know thats not the case for everyone either as some black screens are faulty cards and as a result of immature drivers.

Ah, sorry, I was misinformed, thank you for correcting :)

I did seven and it didn't black screen so it is good news yes? I wish I've asked you first bc after fifth it became louder, and I really don't wish to RMA my card. Do you think I managed to do something bad to it? You made me a little worried.
If you were benching with the reference cooler on SD, you should really manually increase the fan speed to at least 70% if not all the way up to 100%, just so you can make sure the card is cooled adequately.

Hmm got it reference would be RMAd. Luckily I got AIB Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X OC version and it cools amazingly, during whole testing it got to only 75 degrees C/ 167 degree F. Btw this card cools better in an enclosed case compared to open rigs. Tomshardware tested it and found this out.

Nah it just warmed up the gpu/vrm's a bit so the fan kicked in. Nothing to worry about.

If you were benching with the reference cooler on SD, you should really manually increase the fan speed to at least 70% if not all the way up to 100%, just so you can make sure the card is cooled adequately.

Stock cooler is pretty good on the vrm temps considering, its just the core that gets hot.

Back
Top Bottom