• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is AMD quiet about black screens on 290x?

Ok, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I'm running an MSI 290 Gaming Edition. I get a black screen in BF4, but only in full screen mode. If I run it windowed, it looks fine, but as soon as I go full screen it goes black. I can hear the sound, I can tab out and have a normal desktop, it's just in game that this happens, and at full screen.

I've tried running a few other games, all of which seem fine.

My last GPU on this system was a GTX 770, which ran flawlessly. I'm assuming that this is a BF4 issue? Has anyone else experienced this and maybe know of a solution?

Cheers!

EDIT:

Apologies, my Google-fu is weak this morning. It turns out that Teamviewer was causing this issue, and by shutting down Teamviewer it works fine.

Last edited:
Thought I might share my experience.

I'm also suffering with black screens BUT

I'm only having the issue if I run a game within the first couple minutes of starting my pc in the morning

after then it works perfectly and I can max it out with benchmarking software (I got 8882 score with firestrike, I54670K CPU)

I've got a gigabyte windforce r9 290.

I'm guessing there might be some solder fracture that's only a problem when it is cold.

Getting these black screens as well at stock on my Sapphire 290x with Elpida memory.

I tried upping the core voltage +31mV but it died after about 50 minutes of Planetside 2. I've found that if I downclock my memory -10% it's completely stable and I can play all day without a crash.

Not putting up with that though, RMAing it soon. Just hope I don't get another dud.

Sent my back and was deducted £48 for using the BF4 code, £15 from the forums here for a code...

All cause the card is unstable and its intermittently fails and OCUK cant reproduce it over 24 hours, I have GTX 780 now. I wont even with Mantle go back to AMD for a long time after this and if it wasn't for the fact that the card I have now is only from OCUK I wouldn't have put my money back in.

£27 to send it back as well to OCUK, to say I'm unhappy is the least of how I feel after these cards! :mad::mad::mad:

Sent my back and was deducted £48 for using the BF4 code, £15 from the forums here for a code...

All cause the card is unstable and its intermittently fails and OCUK cant reproduce it over 24 hours, I have GTX 780 now. I wont even with Mantle go back to AMD for a long time after this and if it wasn't for the fact that the card I have now is only from OCUK I wouldn't have put my money back in.

£27 to send it back as well to OCUK, to say I'm unhappy is the least of how I feel after these cards! :mad::mad::mad:

How did it cost you £27? Seems like a huge amount to pay. Were you deducted £48 for BF4 or for BF4 and because they couldn't find a fault?

How did it cost you £27? Seems like a huge amount to pay. Were you deducted £48 for BF4 or for BF4 and because they couldn't find a fault?

I remember one time it cost me £25 to send a PSP + Accessories + Games back via Royal Mail Special Delivery (my mistake, it was a sale on another forum where the amount caught me off guard).

So with the right size, weight of package, guaranteed delivery and have adequate insurance it's possible to spend a fair amount. A lot of times I think people send without having the right amount of insurance in case of courier loss.

excellent, guess I've got that in store for me if the next set of drivers don't fix the black screen issue. Will certainly be RMAing and trying to get a Geforce 780.
Brilliant card when it works but not being able to play a game as simple as DOTA2 without a blackscreen is doing my head in when BF4 runs fine for hours on end.

Cost me £26.80 to send my faulty Gigabyte r9 290x back to OCuk, fully insured and sighed for. I was informed this afternoon that I would be reimbursed £12 for my return postage, as that's the maximum they do. I wasn't told about this before hand, so I'm now out of pocket. I'm not particularly happy as the card was faulty, yet I'm the one out of pocket.

Last edited:

They refunded the rest under DSR's but deducted that amount for the lack of a BF4 code. I'm sorry but its not like I expected the card to be a dud in the first place, that's what makes me mad. I did say it was very random and that I didn't have any issues for about 3 days at first.

But all said and done seriously £48! when codes were selling for £15 that day here, I wasn't even informed why the reduced amount was issued or the result of the testing. I had to go hunting them for answers, hell if they even gave me a chance to give them a code for BF4 I would have bought one and sent it to them.

The delivery cost me £28 as it was over 2Kg's and the only postal option was RMSD to insure it for the correct value.

So all in this GTX780 has cost me close to £500 to buy and I would also like to state that it has NOT had any issues since I got it.

my rma was quite crap too! bought the card, fine for 2 days (after the first day used the code bf4) then black screen, rma said because id used the bf4 code they would take £40 off the price if i wanted a refund, so i just swapped the card! it cost me £11 (yes £11) with royal mail next day signed for and was insured upto £500! they also said i wouldnt get another code! guess what? lol:D
its still in the box just in case!! ive had no refund of the postage. it sucks really because it wasnt as if i wanted to rma. :eek:

After the memory downclock fix increasing stability I tried a couple other thing before I was going to RMA the card and to my surprise I seem to have gotten it stable at stock without really doing much.

I recently tried lowering the target GPU temperature to 94C and upping the maximum allowed fan speed (mine seems to hit about 59% maximum now under load) after seeing the card was easily hitting the heat limit at stock settings in Planetside 2; the core speed was throttling down into the 700's sometimes and the MSI Afterburner graph looked like a sharks mouth :P

Before I made these changes I got 2 black screens in 5-10 mins @ stock and now I haven't had one in about 2+ hours of playing. Could just be luck of course; need to put more hours in.

They refunded the rest under DSR's but deducted that amount for the lack of a BF4 code. I'm sorry but its not like I expected the card to be a dud in the first place, that's what makes me mad. I did say it was very random and that I didn't have any issues for about 3 days at first.

But all said and done seriously £48! when codes were selling for £15 that day here, I wasn't even informed why the reduced amount was issued or the result of the testing. I had to go hunting them for answers, hell if they even gave me a chance to give them a code for BF4 I would have bought one and sent it to them.

The delivery cost me £28 as it was over 2Kg's and the only postal option was RMSD to insure it for the correct value.

So all in this GTX780 has cost me close to £500 to buy and I would also like to state that it has NOT had any issues since I got it.

for future reference try posting via Collect+ this with insurance over £300 and signed for and trackable would have cost you £12.19p and weight between 2kg and 5kg next day service.

I started using this a lot now and its way cheaper than Royal Mail, you drop them off at local places to you, some local corner shops etc take them in, scan them onto their system you get a tracking receipt and its collected same day.

Last edited:
Just an update for anybody who was having black screen problems, the latest 14.1 beta drivers appear to have resolved all the blackscreen issues I was having with DOTA2 managed to play a whole 1 hour game without a single crash, on the previous drivers I was blackscreening after 15-20 minutes.

Just an update for anybody who was having black screen problems, the latest 14.1 beta drivers appear to have resolved all the blackscreen issues I was having with DOTA2 managed to play a whole 1 hour game without a single crash, on the previous drivers I was blackscreening after 15-20 minutes.

I may have to try them; I'm replaying NWN2 at the moment and it black screens a couple of times after about an hour but then behaves for the rest of the session. Before that I was playing a heavily modded Fallout New Vegas and it never black screened at all, in over 150 hours play.

Back
Top Bottom