Why is it not compulsory to wear full leather protection while riding?

Soldato
@acemaster I bet you get sick of all those grid roads? don't they have any curvy roads?

Not around me, this is a big city however there are onramps and certain roads which can be fairly fun, most of the roads are wide enough that you could knee down just by swinging side to side lol.

I miss the UK roads more than I can ever say, if only the UK had the weather, tires here are warm in seconds, literally hot to touch after a short ride.

Soldato
I'd never go out in anything other than full gear, but I object to laws that exist only to protect people from themselves.

If, on the other hand, it could be demonstrated that enforced full kit was both (a) practical to enforce and (b) resulted in a net economic benefit to society (less hospital time taken up...?) then I'd be all for it. I don't see either of the above though.

Soldato
I use my bike maybe 70/30 green lanes/road. No way am I wearing leathers.

I don't see the big fuss, go to a warmer climate, shorts an t shirt's everywhere and usually more bikes on the road.

This. Go to Spain or France and people are riding around in suits, tshirt a, jeans etc and amazingly they aren't all dead!

Not riding like a **** is the best form of protection - ie don't crash

Caporegime
I don't ride a motorcycle or have a bike license but one thing has always baffled me. It's compulsory to wear a helmet quite rightly, but not to wear proper clothing? i.e Full leather bikers jacket, trousers and boots.

With the sun out you see people riding around wearing shorts and t-shirt and I shudder with horror at what would happen to them (God forbid) if they came off.

Surely it should be compulsory to wear full body protection? Or would you disagree?

because it would make commuting impossible on a bike?

don't think id survive if i had to wear leathers over textiles.

why is it legal to drive a car without a fire proof suit you may as well ask.

Caporegime
Excuse my ignorance but do you need to move a lot while riding?

yes you do but leathers are cut for riding. so unless you expect people to ride to the shops or town then lurch around looking like freaking orangutans in their onsies while they're off the bike its not really practical.

Commissario
OP
yes you do but leathers are cut for riding. so unless you expect people to ride to the shops or town then lurch around looking like freaking orangutans in their onsies while they're off the bike its not really practical.

Does it not bother you that if you came off your bike you could possibly be peeled from head to toe like an orange?

Or are you happy to take the risk?

Soldato
it helps with controlling the bike more easily/moving around on the bike and looking left/right/behind ect

thick stiff leathers make it harder imo,would be even more daunting having just passed your test/riding a bike

Well thats a load of bull :p
Leathers restrict movement off the bike, not on the bike, the cut is so that they aid in movement ON the bike, you don't see racers having problem controlling or moving around on the bike, I have commuted in a once piece for about 3 years and its never restricted me, the main issue is people buy poorly fitting leathers, its the same as helmets you have to try lots on to find the ones that fit you best.
Also the main thing on that is Leather are designed for sportsbikes, so if you aren't riding one the movement will be different, for that you should buy leathers that the supermoto guys use, they are cut in a way thats more comfortable sat upright, they have the double zips on the front for anyone interested.

Its a personal preference leathers or textile, personally I don't find textiles comfortable, the only thing I find uncomfortable are bike boots to walk in and they are going to be the same if you are wearing leathers or textiles.

If I have to do any walking I will pack some trainers in a bag and wear my two piece so I don't have to walk around like an idiot in a one piece.

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually boots is the one thing I do always wear.

Adventure boots (I've got RST's) are really comfy for walking in - a bit like hiking boots. They also comfortably fit under jeans....theres nothing worse than jeans or textiles tucked into boots lol

Soldato
I suppose if you're happy to take the risk then fair enough. :)

You need to accept risk anyway riding a bike (or even driving a car).

It then becomes a scale of how much risk you will accept.

I've also taken the kids on the bike since they were about 7, and in recent years have done european tours with them on the back, and also taken my son (now 15) to the Isle of Man TT for the last few years. My wife is fine with this (even though she doesn't go on the bike herself) but many of her friends can't believe that she 'lets' me take them on the bike....then happily let their own kids go horse riding which is statistically much more dangerous.

I have plenty of friends who would love a bike but their wives won't let them, which I find utterly ridiculous.

Soldato
I think you are thinking leather is massively better than textile when in reality the difference isn't massive.

If you crash and have significant impact damage then you could be wearing a suit of armour but it'll make no difference. If you come off and slide, most slides will be finished before the textiles wear through but even leather will wear though if for some reason the slide was a long one.

Soldato
Personally I think people who ride without, as we like to say, atgatt, are a bit stupid BUT I believe it is their choice and would protest against a change in the law. I would never ride without a helmet, even if the law changed saying we didn't have to, but if I had been alive and riding when the helmet law came into place I would have been anti that as well :D

Soldato
I have a scar on my hip after sliding 50 meters on my front from a high side slide... I was in full leathers. I got friction burn bad enough to take skin off where my hip is...

As I said, I have a scar now :( And not a pretty one.

On that basis, I will NEVER ride a bike without gear and think anyone who does it an absolute idiot and I have NO respect for them and hope they don't clog up the roads when they come off and a few civil workers have to mop up their skin.

it helps with controlling the bike more easily/moving around on the bike and looking left/right/behind ect

thick stiff leathers make it harder imo,would be even more daunting having just passed your test/riding a bike

I kind of see how you would get that impression, new leathers are a right pain but it's not bad enough to change the ride style, just the comfort in my experience.

I wear both textile or leather. Depends on the weather.

I'm going to invest in some kevlar armoured jeans this weekend with a leather jacket. As I want to ride my Multi next weekend when I finally pick it up and be able to walk around town in comfort.

Associate
I see lots of folk riding quads around with no helmets...insane really considering that a quad will flip over if you look at it wrong.
I choose to wear a mankini with flip flops but thats just a fashion thing, gets bloody cold in winter.
Seriously, I wear textiles and every now and then will wear just a thick pair of jeans if only nipping out for a short distance and even ten it feels wrong.
I always assumed leathers are for keeping you all in one piece if the worst happens...the emergency services wont have to spend ages looking for a missing body part as it's all inside the quality leather body bag. (urghhhh).
BTW I have no objection to leathers other than the price.

Soldato
I have a scar on my hip after sliding 50 meters on my front from a high side slide... ....... and think anyone who does it an absolute idiot and I have NO respect for them and hope they don't clog up the roads when they come off and a few civil workers have to mop up their skin.

So far I haven't clogged up the roads by crashing at all.

If you'd been wearing jeans and a T Shirt* you'd have probably ridden a lot more carefully and not had the accident.

* It's rare that I would only wear a T Shirt - the bee's start to hurt above 30mph

We've had these discussions before anyway. Lots of people look at anyone that rides a bike the same way that you look at people that ride a bike without gear on all the time, and the same way that I look at riders on a sunny sunday riding like *****. I actually avoid major biking roads these days and stick to the slow B roads - I'm sick of being nearly taken out by people who struggle to stay on the road.

Soldato
Full blown leathers on a hot summer day could be dangerous due to how hot you can get and water loss through sweat. Unless you're constantly going at motorway speeds.

IMO there should be a motorcycle clothing regulation, stamped on all gear at a minimum level of protection and a law that states you must be wearing said approved gear. Even if it's just low level so for example people have to wear at least a cheap jacket and gloves etc.

However, where does this start? Would this have to apply for all those city commuters on 50cc scooters?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom