Why is my 2500k running so hot with a H100i?

Soldato
OP
So I'm running (just web browsing) around 65c with the stock cooler. From googling this still seems about double what it should be on the stock cooler.

Is it possible / likely that my CPU has been damaged long term and is always going to run hot now?

Soldato
People online reporting about 30 idle temps with stock cooler? Or is that a minority rather than majority?
Most modern CPUs at stock settings produce very little heat in idle.
So temperature relatively close to ambient is possible depending how speed of fan is controlled.
Now if you're running it overclocked with fixed volts or even at default volts/speed, but with power saving modes (both BIOS/Windows) disabled it's never going to actual idle state.
(those Processor power management settings in Power options of control panel)
And having CPU fan speed control locked to some maximum speed would certainly limit stock coolers ability to deal with lighter heat outputs.

Just removed the whole system, gave it a shake and sure enough it sounds rather empty. Can hear a tiny bit of fluid but not much at all.

I guess that's my issue then! Should it not last longer than a few years?? Got it mid 2014 and don't really even game on my PC so shouldn't have had a hard life
Some evaporation happens always even regardless temperature being below boiling point.
Water molecules can evaporate even from surface of ice. (while some molecules from humidity in air "stick" back to surface)
Only absolute zero temperature would stop that.
Compared to which it doesn't make big difference if coolant is at fair 295K temperature or 20-30K warmer.
And depending on material of tubes some amount of those gas state molecules slip through, because it's not dense/solid enough in size scale of them.
Exactly similar to what happens over time to air filled balloon.

If you think that's crazy, individual hydrogen atoms can diffuse through even structure of metals.

Associate
Temps still too high on stock cooler, you'll be hitting big numbers when you put load on it. I've only ever had a similar result when the cooler was not mounted properly (one push pin would not lock in), check the mounting again. Also, did you get new paste or still using your old stuff ? I'd get some cheap MX4 or something just to be sure.

If you leave the PC showing BIOS when you start it up, what does the boards monitoring say the temp is after a few minutes ? If it's much lower than when in windows then it may still be software.

Associate
I know this is not his issue but

I hear a lot about people saying "run your pumps in your AIO at max".
Well this actualy dont always give you the best cooling and I have shown this to be true in some situations. I did this on my rig and my bros. both have different coolers mine is a Corsair H115i his not 100% sure but its not a Corsair.

My theory is

If you have pump at max your pushing the water through the rad to fast.
Basicaly the air being pushed through the rad does not have time to cool the water down due to the water passing through the fins to fast.

If ya slow down the water its spending a little more time in the rad giving the air passing over the channels more time to transfer temp differances.

I know this is not his issue but thought it was a good place to mention it.

Your theory makes perfect sense to me. After reading this I went back into my config and amended my pump speed to Quiet. For me, this raised my CPU temp by 4-5 degrees.
Horses for courses I guess, mine likes to have that extra pumping... giggity. :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks all!

Was fresh (but not newly bought) paste. Thinking back I actually did struggle getting one or two mounting pins to click in - crappy mounting system if I may say so. Didn't think it would make that much difference though, obviously I was wrong.

I want to replace the watercooler either way so just hit buy on an NZXT X52 after doing a bit of reading. Seems decent value for money and seem to be quite popular compared to Corsair.

That comes with paste pre-applied, so fingers crossed will get that fitted tomorrow and report back some nice low temps! :D

Soldato
OP
Early days and testing a few settings still, but average core idle temp is about 20c less than the stock cooler and a heck of a lot quieter even in "performance mode". Silent mode pretty much lives up to its name but temps get a bit warmer.

I have one hot core pushing the average up, but always has been that way. I blame the silicone lottery.

About 40c on perf mode including the hot core, 37c(ish) if we don't include it.

Not too bad and like I say it's a good 20c cooler than the stock cooler and infinitely better than the faulty H100i! Also room temp is around 27c so will check again later when I have the AC on :D

EDIT: The strange bit... Shaking the new one (which I didn't do very vigorously for obvious reasons) and shaking the H100i sounds relatively similar. I was expecting more water in there hence my previous comments about it sounding empty. So maybe it wasn't the water after all, maybe the pump was on the way out? Or maybe a combination as it seems common-ish that they do indeed have a lifespan of around 4-5 years. Either way, something was up with it giving temps of 90+!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom