Why is 'self-charging hybrid' being sold as a thing?

Soldato
Ok so let’s forget about the value proposition or whether you have access to a charging point or not and just compare the vehicles as if you can use both exactly as intended.
Defeats the point though, the marketing is targeting the fact that many people can't use a plug in as intended and so playing on the fact that relying on self charging is better in a car designed for self charging rather than one that happens to do it but is really geared up for something different.

It's not as simple as one being 'better' than the other, they're different tech targeting different usage scenarios.

Man of Honour
Ok so let’s forget about the value proposition or whether you have access to a charging point or not and just compare the vehicles as if you can use both exactly as intended.

If I had charging facilities at home, I'd have a bev, not a phev, if I'm honest.

The key thing is using the car as intended has criteria that not everyone can meet.

Soldato
OP
Defeats the point though, the marketing is targeting the fact that many people can't use a plug in as intended and so playing on the fact that relying on self charging is better in a car designed for self charging rather than one that happens to do it but is really geared up for something different.

It's not as simple as one being 'better' than the other, they're different tech targeting different usage scenarios.

And my point is that the message I take from the adverting is that a self charging hybrid is universally better than a PHEV, which is very obviously not the case.

I know the difference. Someone less informed won’t and may make a bad purchasing decision as a result because of the misleading message.

Tl;dr advertising should be banned. It’s deliberately manipulative, misleading and abusive.

Soldato
That an advert oversells the benefit of the product it is advertising is hardly a shock though is it?

"Self charging hybrids, possibly good for you depending on circumstances, consider a plug in made by someone else though" isn't the catchiest of lines...

Soldato
OP
That an advert oversells the benefit of the product it is advertising is hardly a shock though is it?

"Self charging hybrids, possibly good for you depending on circumstances, consider a plug in made by someone else though" isn't the catchiest of lines...

And this is my beef with advertising and why I don’t support this business model. Anyone peddling advertising is complicit in its deceptiveness. But that’s a different topic entirely.

Man of Honour
And my point is that the message I take from the adverting is that a self charging hybrid is universally better than a PHEV, which is very obviously not the case.

I know the difference. Someone less informed won’t and may make a bad purchasing decision as a result because of the misleading message.

Tl;dr advertising should be banned. It’s deliberately manipulative, misleading and abusive.

The problem specific to toyota, who are wedded to self Charging only.

My car is available in hev, phev and bev. Decide you like the car, then work out which one suits your circumstances. Toyota don't have that setup.

Soldato
And this is my beef with advertising and why I don’t support this business model. Anyone peddling advertising is complicit in its deceptiveness. But that’s a different topic entirely.

That's why some industries have regulation, and why advertising itself is regulated in the UK.

While that regulation does a reasonable job, a fool and his money are still nevertheless easily parted.

Back
Top Bottom