Why MPG and not MPL

Caporegime
Seeing as though we buy petrol and diesel by the litre, pay by the litre and understand the price per litre in a simple way...

Why don't we calculate miles per litre intead of to the gallon?

Now sure I could work it out by multiplying out the cost etc

But I can't just go to a petrol station knowing my car gets 10 miles to the litre and put in 10 litres of fuel knowing it should roughly get me 100miles if driving for instance at 10mpl...

Damn typo in thread title...

Man of Honour
The country used to use the imperial measurement system. Petrol never fully moved over to the newer metric system because we were all used to gallons at the time. We should really use kilometers too but keep using miles for the same reason. But you are right it doesn't make sense to quote prices in one system and efficiency in another.

Miles Per Litre doesn't make any sense. If we did go full metric then it should be [EDIT] Kilometers Per Litre.

Personally I think we should completely move over to kilometers and litres nowadays.

Man of Honour
Personally I think we should completely move over to kilometers and litres nowadays.

Personally I don't see the fascination with switching purely to one system or the other, etc. I find miles works much better for long journeys yet I switch to metres when getting closer to somewhere and likewise use cm/mm, metres, feet and inches mixed in many areas of life i.e. when decorating.

It isn't a particular attachment for one system or the other as I was brought up in an environment that used both daily.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Why even the letter 'P'?

Nothing else in engineering uses it. Gbps/Mbps maybe? Again, these are for the layman.

Bring back the '/' divisor

Caporegime
18mpg overall is pretty poor for me but given the car not too bad.

Compared to the 11mpg overall my 13.6 litre HGV gives me its dire but, an 18year old HGV would get nowhere near 11mpg so it’s all relative.

MPG sounds right, L/100km is meaningless to most.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So most of Europe uses l/100km, yet Scandinavia uses km/l.

And in Sweden and Norway, a "mile" is 10km.

Man of Honour
The country used to use the imperial measurement system. Petrol never fully moved over to the newer metric system because we were all used to gallons at the time. We should really use kilometers too but keep using miles for the same reason. But you are right it doesn't make sense to quote prices in one system and efficiency in another.

Miles Per Litre doesn't make any sense. If we did go full metric then it should be [EDIT] Kilometers Per Litre.

I disagree, measuring distances in miles is understandable because all the road signs etc are based on miles so there would be a massive overhead from converting to kilometres. Whereas on the fuel front, very little is done in exclusively in gallons (i.e. without litres), and it wouldn't cost much to move over to miles per litre.
I am not suggesting that we should rule out moving over to kilometres, but it is a much bigger change than adopting litres so I wouldn't want to group them in together.

Back
Top Bottom