Why MPG and not MPL

Soldato
We use imperial and metric in the UK. They keep have been trying to push us fully on to metric for ages, but we refuse :p

They teach mostly metric in schools now, but as soon you start work everyone will be talking in a hybrid of both systems.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think using a format such as litres per KM is actually better than miles per gallon. I think it's more useful to know how much fuel you use for a given distance than to know how far one can go on a given amount of fuel.

A more efficient car uses LESS fuel therefore the measure is that a lower number is better. :)

Soldato
I think using a format such as litres per KM is actually better than miles per gallon. I think it's more useful to know how much fuel you use for a given distance than to know how far one can go on a given amount of fuel.

A more efficient car uses LESS fuel therefore the measure is that a lower number is better. :)
No a more efficient car goes further on a gallon.

I'm off to the pub for a half liter.

Soldato
I think it's mostly to do with standards, most people wouldn't have a clue what l/km meant whereas they're well versed with the concept of mpg.

Personally I don't care as I can do the conversions and my fuel gauge is in gallons anyway.

Why is that more useful? Cars have an odometer and a fuel gauge so you have ready access to both parts.

Soldato
No a more efficient car goes further on a gallon.

And yet every other form of energy usage measurement - such as kwh works the other way around.

It's just more logical that a car that uses LESS fuel has a LOWER number. A car that uses LESS fuel should not have a HIGHER rating - that's not intuitive.

It's only because we're used to mpg that we tend to prefer it.

Soldato
They just need to sell petrol by the gallon instead :D

A lot of this is because the US still use imperial (even though their gallons are bigger lol). We've always been more closely related to the US than Europe.

Soldato
A lot of this is because the US still use imperial (even though their gallons are bigger lol). We've always been more closely related to the US than Europe.

Slightly besides the point but our gallon is bigger :) US gallon is 3.78 litres and UK gallon is 4.54 litres.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
A lot of this is because the US still use imperial (even though their gallons are bigger lol).

As Phemo points out, US gallons are smaller than imperial ones (5/6ths the size). It's one of those things that trips people up once in a while when they're trying to claim that US market cars get worse fuel mileage - they don't go as far on a gallon of fuel because said gallon is smaller :)

Soldato
l/100km or l/Miles makes a lot more sense than MPG.

It's very easy to answer the question "how much fuel does your car use?" with "it uses 8 litres of fuel per 100 km/miles).

It's also really easy to calculate the cost of ownership or a journey using that figure.

Soldato
l/100km or l/Miles makes a lot more sense than MPG.

It's very easy to answer the question "how much fuel does your car use?" with "it uses 8 litres of fuel per 100 km/miles).

It's also really easy to calculate the cost of ownership or a journey using that figure.

How is that any easier than saying, mine uses a gallon every 60 miles.

Soldato
Indeed, I would vote for L/100Miles an analogue of European measure, and, at least, you would be able to easily estimate your range from fuel in the tank or what you topped up.
... any measures just /km or /mile would need interpretatiion of the fractional part to distinguish cars.

Soldato
I don't want to be doing complex maths when trying to compare how much a 1000 miles a month is gonna cost me to drive a certain car.

http://www.mpgillusion.com/p/what-is-mpg-illusion.html

This website also explains well why MPG comparisons are misleading.

That explains why so many people are struggling with it. Complex maths. lol.

Since when was basic division and multiplication, complex maths.

Back
Top Bottom