Why we play Eve-Online. Great New York Times article all about it.

Soldato
you wont get the new gfx on linux or mac and from my personal experience windows frame rates on my macbook pro are orders of magnitude better than the os x client :(

when I tested it on sisi they didnt seem to bad, but actually on TQ and with the released client I find fps on os x crawls around 20fps where in the same situation i get over 100fps on windows

ill cancel mac download and get windows then cheers.

d|b

d|b

Associate
This all sounds very interesting and I am tempted to play but I have two questions:

1) Can you play this casually (say 5 hours spread through the week)
2) What is it that makes the learning curve so steep?

Soldato
This all sounds very interesting and I am tempted to play but I have two questions:

A lot of management involved. Its a freeform space sim. However, you can still play casually, you just won't have as many in-game skills\ships\trading structures etc, and thus make less of an impact in the Eve universe.

Soldato

1 yes but you have to manage your skills as they in real time by logging on for 10 mins orso and picking new skills but as your skill improve the time it takes to learn them takes longer.
If you manage your skills your toon will get better and better no matter how many hours you play.

2 I would say skills tree and some missions until you get the hang of EVE but there was/is a good beginners chat channel,but not played in a few years might rejoin.

Soldato
God, I so wish it was a bit easier. I prob. would come back, seems so much like work for me though. How long does your charecter stay in the world though, just incase no games come out I want to play.

When I cancelled my subscription(due to time/work etc) the confirmation screen said the character would be around for 6 months and if I don't resuscribe then it will be deleted.

JC

JC

Soldato
If your graphics card isn't SM3 compatible then you can still play, they have ported the old graphics onto the new engine so you'll be fully compatible with everyone else, just seeing the older models.

And as far as deleting characters go, although they only guarantee your character for 6 months, in the whole time of eve they have never deleted an expired character.

Soldato
I played for about a month and found 2 guys who gave me lots of free stuff in return for helping them collect loot on missions they did (in their big ships).

Quite enjoyed it, but get the feeling that I don't have enough time for MMORPG.

Is it too late to start again? Has everyone already milked it and reached massive levels etc?

Soldato
I played for about a month and found 2 guys who gave me lots of free stuff in return for helping them collect loot on missions they did (in their big ships).

Quite enjoyed it, but get the feeling that I don't have enough time for MMORPG.

Is it too late to start again? Has everyone already milked it and reached massive levels etc?

i havnt even installed it yet so you wouldnt be the only n00b in there:p

Back
Top Bottom