Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
V96 launched.

New
  • We’ve made significant improvements in noise-suppression and auto-gain-control as well as slight improvements in echo-cancellation to provide you with a better overall experience.
  • We’ve also significantly reduced main-thread load.
  • Firefox will now enforce the Cookie Policy: Same-Site=lax by default which provides a solid first line of defense against Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) attacks.
Fixed
  • On macOS, command-clicking links in Gmail now opens them in a new tab as expected
  • Our newest release fixes an issue where video intermittently drops SSRC.
  • It also fixes an issue where WebRTC downgrades screen sharing resolution to provide you with a clearer browsing experience.
  • Plus, we’ve fixed video quality degradation issues on certain sites.
  • Detached video in fullscreen on macOS has been temporarily disabled to avoid some issues with corruption, brightness changes, missing subtitles and high cpu usage.
  • Various security fixes
Enterprise

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can find more information in the Firefox for Enterprise 96 Release Notes.

Developer

Developer Information

Soldato
Soldato
V96 launched.

New
  • We’ve made significant improvements in noise-suppression and auto-gain-control as well as slight improvements in echo-cancellation to provide you with a better overall experience.
  • We’ve also significantly reduced main-thread load.
  • Firefox will now enforce the Cookie Policy: Same-Site=lax by default which provides a solid first line of defense against Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) attacks.
Fixed
  • On macOS, command-clicking links in Gmail now opens them in a new tab as expected
  • Our newest release fixes an issue where video intermittently drops SSRC.
  • It also fixes an issue where WebRTC downgrades screen sharing resolution to provide you with a clearer browsing experience.
  • Plus, we’ve fixed video quality degradation issues on certain sites.
  • Detached video in fullscreen on macOS has been temporarily disabled to avoid some issues with corruption, brightness changes, missing subtitles and high cpu usage.
  • Various security fixes
Enterprise

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can find more information in the Firefox for Enterprise 96 Release Notes.

Developer

Developer Information

For windows i use Beta so on 96.b3 i think - its great
For OSX - Firefox is now useless, new low power mode/UI system means
1. VERY laggy UI - it can not keep up with slow keyboard typing!
2. VERY slow page loading - pages now take 3x longer to load since Low power mode
3. VERY slow rendering of pages - once loaded can sometimes take 20 seconds to render a table it used to load in 3 seconds (and still does on FF 95)

Man of Honour
Sometimes I just hate Firefox. It just updated to the latest version and undone all changes I made so now I havehuge gaps between my bookmarks again and I can't remember how I fixed it last time. Can someone give me a idiot guide or point me towards one to get my bookmarks back to the way they used to be please?

***Edit*** Never mind, the Lepton fix posted further up still works thank god.

Last edited:
Soldato
96 seems to have broken my PWAs, I suspect it's due to the same CSS breaking changes that's causing it. Luckily I have backups from Edge but really wanted to have everything on Firefox.

EDIT: Had to do a full reinstall of the PWA native extension to get it working again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another issue this week, first FF stopped working on any website a few days ago for everyone using the browser and now Reddit replies blocked but can access Reddit fine on Edge

Edit: Seems fixed now

Last edited:
Soldato
Is anybody seeing their last browsing session being randomly brought back when opening Firefox?

I have Firefox set to open Google as my homepage at launch. So I can't understand why it is restoring my previous session, even though I closed Firefox as I have always done.

Soldato
Is anybody seeing their last browsing session being randomly brought back when opening Firefox?

I have Firefox set to open Google as my homepage at launch. So I can't understand why it is restoring my previous session, even though I closed Firefox as I have always done.

No issues here. Maybe Firefox thought it crashed and is why it's restoring the previous session? Any addons that could be conflicting with FF when closing?

Soldato
No issues here. Maybe Firefox thought it crashed and is why it's restoring the previous session? Any addons that could be conflicting with FF when closing?
It's only started happening since Firefox upgraded itself to v96.0.2, nothing else has changed. It's happened a few times and it seems to be completely random, making it infuriating to pinpoint.

Soldato
V97 out.

New

Firefox now supports and displays the new style of scrollbars on Windows 11.

Fixed

• On macOS, we’ve made improvements to system font loading which makes opening and switching to new tabs faster in certain situations.
  • Various security fixes
Changed

• On February 8, we will be expiring the 18 colorway themes of Firefox version 94. This signals the end of a special, limited-time feature set. However, you can hold onto your favorite colorway, as long as you’re using it on the expiration date. In other words, if a colorway is “enabled” in the add-ons manager, that colorway is yours forever. Read more about colorway updates here.
  • Support for directly generating PostScript for printing on Linux has been removed. Printing to PostScript printers still remains a supported option, however.
Enterprise

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can find more information in the Firefox for Enterprise 97 Release Notes.

Developer

Developer Information

Community Contributions

With the release of Firefox 97, we are pleased to welcome the developers who contributed their first code change to Firefox in this release, 7 of whom were brand new volunteers! Please join us in thanking each of these diligent and enthusiastic individuals, and take a look at their contributions:

• bnhunsaker: Bug 1707379 - Firefox raises window when it gains focus when using yabai with focus_follows_mouse with autofocus, but not autoraise
  • Dennis Jackson: Bug 1742617 - Crash in [@ nsDocShell::MaybeFixBadCertDomainErrorURI]
  • Jin Chun: Bug 1704133 - Removing stale probe sw.synthesized_res_count
  • Kevin Daudt: Bug 1745560 - Firefox 91.4 fails to build against wayland 1.20
  • Meg Viar: Bug 1744466 - Make "More from Mozilla" strings localizable
  • Neia Finch: Bug 1613634 - CoalesceMutationEvents causes excessive page render times, Bug 1747922 - Replace MathML font variant constants with enum class
  • Nick Rishel: Bug 1592731 - Firefox ESR's update failure doorhanger should direct user to the ESR download page, Bug 1730110 - Update manual update URL, Bug 1746517 - Add query parameter to manual update URL
  • Patrick: Bug 1742312 - Remove NPAPI related flags, Bug 1743102 - Add color-scheme meta tag to remaining compatible about: pages
  • Pier Angelo Vendrame: Bug 1745715 - Bundled fonts should have Base visibility even when they are also system-wide installed
  • Rashelle: Bug 1739515 - Clean up preference for supporting multiple PiP windows, Bug 1742585 - PIP button z-index not respected with semi-transparent div, Bug 1744633 - Remove unnecessary browser_closePipAfterCloseBrowser.js test for Picture-in-Picture

Soldato
Seems to be a small update and once again reminds me how daft the rapid release number system is.

They're also inviting users to help test Firefox 100 to see what site breaks when they check the browser user agent, and can only recognise the first two digits (10).

The nightly version in Android recently fixed bookmarks always opening in new tabs/bookmarklets not working when selected from bookmarks so now it behaves more like a normal browser: https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/pull/23169

Soldato

Looks as though this might be fixed in v97.0.1, according to the release notes.

Associate
I use Firefox as my main browser with adblock plus. I like Opera too and I did try TOR browser for a short time but its very hit and miss so FireFox and Opera are the winners for me.

Soldato
Firefox v97.0.2 is out with some critical security fixes.

Release notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/97.0.2/releasenotes/

CVE-2022-26485: Use-after-free in XSLT parameter processing
Removing an XSLT parameter during processing could have lead to an exploitable use-after-free. We have had reports of attacks in the wild abusing this flaw.

CVE-2022-26486: Use-after-free in WebGPU IPC Framework
An unexpected message in the WebGPU IPC framework could lead to a use-after-free and exploitable sandbox escape. We have had reports of attacks in the wild abusing this flaw.

Soldato
V98 released:

New

Firefox has a new optimized download flow. Instead of prompting every time, files will download automatically. However, they can still be opened from the downloads panel with just one click. Easy! More information

You’ll find you have a number of options, including:
  • Always Open Similar Files: Make Firefox automatically open downloaded files of the same type with the system default application.
  • Show In Folder: Open the folder that contains your downloaded files.
  • Go To Download Page: Surfaces the download reference page even after leaving the site or closing the tab.
  • Copy Download Link: Copy the download link to share it, save it, or for any applicable use.
  • Delete: You can now delete downloaded files directly from the download panel and other download views using the context menu.
  • Remove From History: Remove a file from your list of downloaded files.
  • Clear Preview Panel: Clear the list of downloaded items in the preview panel that opens when you start a download.
In this release, you’ll also see that Firefox no longer asks what to do for each file by default. You won’t be prompted to choose a helper application or save to disk before downloading a file unless you have changed your download action setting for that type of file.

And now, every time you start a download, Firefox will automatically bring up the Downloads panel by default. This means you’ll experience minimal interruptions and easily find your downloaded files. Plus, to avoid having to close it several times, the panel won't show if there are multiple downloads in progress.

You can now click on a file in the Downloads panel to open it even before it has finished downloading. Firefox will open the file as soon as it is available. Firefox: saving you time and helping you get back to what you care about!

Any files you download will be immediately saved on your disk. Depending on the current configuration, they’ll be saved in your preferred download folder, or you’ll be asked to select a location for each download. Windows and Linux users will find their downloaded files in the destination folder. They’ll no longer be put in the Temp folder.

Firefox allows users to choose from a number of built-in search engines to set as their default. In this release, some users who had previously configured a default engine might notice their default search engine has changed since Mozilla was unable to secure formal permission to continue including certain search engines in Firefox.

Fixed

Now, you can set a default app to open a file type. Choose the application you want to use to open files of a specific type in your Firefox settings.

After updating to Firefox version 98, "Always ask" download actions will now be reset.

Various security fixes

Enterprise

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can find more information in the Firefox for Enterprise 98 Release Notes.

Developer

Developer Information

The Compatibility sidebar panel in the DevTools Inspector already available on pre-release channels will become available on the release channel in version 98 . It provides compatibility warnings for the CSS properties used on the selected element, as well as for the overall page.

Developers may use it to detect web-compatibility issues early, without having to test in each browser. All compatibility data are pulled from MDN.

Event listeners for a given node can now be disabled from the Inspector Event Tooltip, in the markup view. Also, The "event" badge style is updated when at least one event is disabled to remind the user that something was changed.

New UI in the Browser Toolbox to toggle Fluent pseudolocalization bidi / accented

“Ignore line” context menu entry added in the debugger editor gutter when devtools.debugger.features.blackbox-lines is true. Also, there is a better “Ignore source” icon and editor background colors for ignored lines.

Auto-open devtools for tabs opened via window.open (behind devtools.popups.debug). On a page where you already have DevTools opened, if a new tab is created via window.open, the toolbox will automatically move to the new tab, with the new document selected in both the iframe picker and the context selector

Web Platform

The <dialog> HTML element already available on pre-release channels will become available on the release channel in version 98.

Form associated custom elements will become available on the release channel in version 98. This allows web authors to define and create custom elements that can be participated in form submission.

The hyphenate-character CSS property can be used to set a string that is used instead of a hyphen character (-) at the end of a hyphenation line break.

Back
Top Bottom