Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
OP
Did any of you lot actually read the conclusion?

Using a Chrome directive doesn't count. (Vivaldi, I think Opera, New Edge, Chrome obviously)

"The main thing, the truly one real main thing - we need competition. If Firefox disappears, the world goes back to the Internet Explorer 6 era. It was a dark time. And it has nothing to do with Chrome as a product. It has everything to do with the ecosystem, the mindset, the way people behave. We already have lazy developers coding Chrome-only sites. If and when Firefox vanishes, the Internet will become a zombieland. Innovation and freedom are already quite low across the board, and when there's no survival incentive, we will find ourselves deep in intellectual stagnation that can take decades to fix. If ever. We need Intel and AMD, we need Windows and Linux, and we need Chrome and Firefox.

Of course, swaying techies with emotion doesn't really work. But emotion plus actual technical benefits and advantages ought to do it. I believe that Firefox has the necessary clout. It's flexible, customizable, with features you don't really see elsewhere. What remains is the message. Just like in 2004, when people had hope and optimism when Firefox emerged, offering something new and fresh. Now though, the message is less optimistic, less shiny, but a hundred times more important. Because Firefox today is all about the Internet ten years from now."

Soldato
OP
One reason why I left Firefox was it is not as stable as Vivaldi and a lot of third party add-ons would not work with FF Quantum build , Vivaldi was developed by the original developers of Opera before Opera went Chromium based, there are plenty of browser alternatives out there for you to choose from, personally if you are worried about data tracking etc don't use Windows, don't leave your house (tracking satellites, phones etc, and wear a tin foil hat). There are plenty of ways they track you regardless of you using your PC or browser, so the statement does not mean much, paranoid ring a bell?

Personally I won't be moving away from Vivaldi, its rock stable, fantastic customisation and everything I need, bye-bye Firefox RIP.

;)

Vivaldi is chrome based.

This is about the health of the internet and the freedom of choice.

Soldato
OP
What a load of crap, I started with Netscape then moved to Firefox version 3 (yes 3, decade ago), then over to Opera before it went Chromium based, then to FF until Quantum version came out (which had add on issues) . I went to Vivaldi which has lots of customisation that techies love. For me it's all about stability and customisation which Vivaldi has.

:)

I only say that due to things like ESNI as an example. When new standards need to be tested or even adopted it's usually companies like Mozilla collaborating with the likes of Cloudflare to get things rolling. There are certain companies in the industry that work in a open source way and cloudflare are one of them so it makes them cool by proxy. (This is the techy in me speaking)

So yea, it's not really a load of crap because you wouldn't find Cloudflare working with Google to do this as they dont share the same values around privacy, freedom and being open source.

Anyway forget the main article read the Mozilla statement when Microsoft announced Edge was going Chrome based.

It's not healthy for the state of the internet.

Soldato
OP
Yes, I cant understand the hate either. It's based on old school assumptions.

Like AMD being crap compared to Intel. This just doesn't apply any more.

The issue is not that people use chrome. People are free to use what ever they like.

The issue is that the internet is being shaped by chrome due to it's high usage. This in turn makes other browser developers adopted chromium for they're underling browser engine and thus websites are only being created with Chrome in mind.

This also puts Google in the drivers seat when it comes to the direction the internet will go with regards to technology, freedom, privacy etc...

If you want to support a free and open internet then you really need to start using a browser that supports those values. And Chrome and it's derivates just ain't that browser.

Firefox is.

Soldato
OP
I think this thread needs some balance. People are inferring Microsoft gave up and bowed out but that is not the case. Microsoft still contribute, only now they contribute chromium instead of fighting a loosing battle, trying to maintain compatibility with an Internet that's largely built for chrome anyway.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/368180/microsoft-edge-on-chromium-what-does-it-mean

I don't see the issue to be honest. MS are far from out of the game.

But your article says exactly what I'm saying:

"But the idea of the non-vendor-specific, interoperable, standards-bases web seems to have died with the move; Firefox is now the last holdout among independent browser engines"

If you care about freedom, privacy and choice then stop using any chromium based browsers.

Only you can effect change!

Soldato
OP
Lifted and shifted from here:

The problem is, Google now controls an even larger share of the market than it did before. Firefox is the only independent browser company left standing, and it’s down to a slim share of the market. Historically, allowing a single company to dominate an industry doesn’t produce optimal results for users. Inevitably, changes and improvements begin to be suggested that ultimately favor the incumbent rather than benefiting the end-user. Whether Google has already reached that point is a matter of personal opinion, but the company has taken considerable fire in various controversies in the past few years. Firefox has been making a major push to brand itself as the only browser developer that actually takes privacy seriously. Whether that will boost the company’s user base isn’t clear yet.

Soldato
OP
Firefox’s fight for the future of the web

This is a really difficult one. Because I think we all have a responsibility to protect our own freedoms, privacy etc... but that entails supporting projects like Duck Duck go, Firefox and open source software in general.

But at the same time with the new Edge having gone chromium, Mozilla are laying off staff, I think the end has already started to happen.

This is a bad news for us all. And you know the worst of it? People don't care! Until something in the future happens and we have a whistle blower like Edward Snowden come forward and tell us all the things they are doing with our data.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is a big shame really.

My prediction is that Mozilla will have to eventually adopt Chromium or Firefox will simply disappear as a product.

But then the question is, if (big if) Mozilla went and used Chromium for Firefox how would they differentiate the browser from all the other chromium based browsers on the market?

Firefox is still the default browser on Linux distros but the Linux market share is so small to be insignificant.

Soldato
OP
Can't they play the you're not being tracked with us card like the IOS religion (lol - their latest uk advertising drive like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_6uV9A12ok)
... and even seek additional crowd funding ?

[ ... genuine firefox question can you currently install an ESR version and block all updates ]

ESR link.

Why would you want to block updates? (Unless your asking a corporate question and you will push out the updates manually) And yes the answer is you can block updates.

Soldato
OP
The Chromium browser market is too congested for Firefox to profit from making the jump.

What could they possibly offer to increase their market share if they went Chromium?

The importance of Firefox is the fact it is using an open source independent rendering engine which is NOT Chromium based.

Back
Top Bottom