Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Caporegime
I use chrome cause I like it, it works without any issues, it's fast, it looks nice and most importantly, I'm part of the google/android ecosystem now so I like having all the integration etc. across my devices.

Soldato
Firefox here, don't like the idea of Google knowing too much about me and my habits.

FF being open-source (and also the base for other browsers like Tor) gives me a fair bit of confidence its safe & secure. Chrome on the other hand is for sheep swayed by years of it being promoted at every opportunity along the lines "would you also like to install Chrome when installing Adobe Reader, Ccleaner etc " and exists pretty much to line Googles pockets with your data.

eg FF's Sync data is unobtainable by Mozilla, bet Chrome's isn't likewise safe from Google

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/11/firefox-sync-privacy/
Sheep lol.

It's for people like me that want there favourites shared across all devices. Integrated with Android and so on.

Soldato
Yes, FF does the same except the sync'd data is accessible to ME only not ME + GOOGLE and friends

Any other benefit of Chrome over Firefox rather than the downsides you've drawn attention to?
Yes I like that it syncs with everything Google, that's the point I was making I don't just been browsers. I like that emails I have sync with my calendar and things I search for pop up on my phone, that Google track my whereabouts and suggest places I might like.

What I don't get is why people think we all don't like this.

Associate
I used to use FF but then changed over to chrome when the syncing became a much more fleshed out thing - now its a big part of why i still use it.
Yes i know FF now has that facility but it lost me ages ago and i still dont see a massive need to change back - and no i give zero craps about privacy or being tracked... as long as add-blocking works i will prob be staying on chrome for the foreseeable future.

Soldato
I don't even do Quantum I'm on Waterfox which is basically old FF with security updates mainly because of extensions that Quantum still hasn't caught up with. I've got Chrome for an extension that downloads youtube vids that won't work with waterfox, anything that you have to jump through endless hoops just to try and stop it spying on you is not something I feel I can trust.

Yes I am a dinosaur.

Back
Top Bottom