Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
I have a 3D scene rendering in every browser bar Firefox.

Trying to get support on it is like pulling teeth. Relegated to forums with no apparent way to get direct dev support, even if you want to pay for it.

Another reason NOT to use Firefox :p
The best option is to file a bug in Bugzilla. Have you tried that?

Soldato
Version 103.0, first offered to Release channel users on July 26, 2022

New

• Improved responsiveness on macOS during periods of high CPU load by switching to a modern lock API.
  • Do you always forget something? Required fields are now highlighted in PDF forms.
  • Improved performance on high-refresh rate monitors (120Hz+).
  • Enjoying Picture-in-Picture subtitles feature? It just got better: you can now change subtitles font size directly from the PiP window. Additionally, PiP subtitles are now available at Funimation, Dailymotion, Tubi, Hotstar, and SonyLIV.
  • Buttons in the Tabs toolbar can now be reached with Tab, Shift+Tab, and Arrow keys. View this article for additional details.
  • Windows' "Make text bigger" accessibility setting now affects all the UI and content pages, rather than only applying to system font sizes.
  • Rejoice! You can now conveniently access Firefox, which will now be pinned to the Windows taskbar during installation on Windows 10 and 11. (This will also allow for Firefox to be launched quicker after installing.)
Fixed

• Non-breaking spaces are now preserved—preventing automatic line breaks—when copying text from a form control.
  • Fixed WebGL performance issues on NVIDIA binary drivers via DMA-Buf on Linux.
  • Fixed an issue in which Firefox startup could be significantly slowed down by the processing of Web content local storage. This had the greatest impact on users with platter hard drives and significant local storage.
  • Various security fixes.
Changed

• Removed a configuration option to allow SHA-1 signatures in certificates: SHA-1 signatures in certificates—long since determined to no longer be secure enough—are now not supported.
Developer

Developer Information

Web Platform

Your information now has increased protection from online tracking via Total Cookie Protection enabled by default. All third-party cookies are now isolated into partitioned storage.

Community Contributions

With the release of Firefox 103, we are pleased to welcome the developers who've contributed their first code changes to Firefox in this release; 12 of whom were first time contributors! Please join us in thanking each of these diligent and enthusiastic individuals, and take a look at their contributions:

Soldato
Firefox has been great lately (and updated today), no visible changes in performance, pretty solid (just how i like it). I'd still like by tabs back down the bottom, but stuff messing around with addons for that, i'll grit my teeth angrily and get over it.

Soldato
Version 103.0, first offered to Release channel users on July 26, 2022

New

• Windows' "Make text bigger" accessibility setting now affects all the UI and content pages, rather than only applying to system font sizes.
That one caught me out. I was wondering why my Firefox font looked bigger than normal as I had this set to 110%. (Accessibility > Text Size) Not sure if I like the idea of having this linked. :confused:

Soldato
I have used FireFox for so long, I dont have a clue when I did not.

Opera is another that I like, but MS do my nut in... They have IE and then they try wedging Edge into our PCs too!

That said, I am sick of Chrome finding its way in too!
I love the way that I can sync almost everything with all my phones, tablets, and computers with the Gogle accounts, but I am NO fan of the chrome browser.

Soldato
i went back and fore from FF and chrome, not a fan of FF at all, as above syncing used to be a pain, plus few other quirks i could never get used too, as well as others i dont care a rats ar5e about privacy, or tracking tbh, the resource hog it isnt a major issue, theres always efficiency mode and im using great suspender, both work a treat

Man of Honour
You sign into your Mozilla account on their Firefox so you can then access your password manager.

Why would you need to use their computer anyway?

I have Firefox on my phone and all my passwords are accessible in that in real-time as it's all synchronised to the Mozilla cloud.

Soldato
You sign into your Mozilla account on their Firefox so you can then access your password manager.

You never used to be able to do that, in that scenario you would need a device that had your firefox passwords like your phone turned on so their server could sync your passwords from one device to another, it was a right pain.

Soldato
Must have been years ago surely. Cloud sync has been around for ages now for everything in Firefox.

Dunno dude as you're the only person i know that likes Firefox sync :) as all i've heard for years is that it was simpler to use a password manger so you can access all your passwords from a single web vault on any machine anywhere in the world.

Example from 2019 unless it's been fixed.

You can't achieve this with one single Firefox Account, you need to use separate accounts, on for work and one for home (private) to keep this data separate. When you use Sync with a specific Firefox Account then all data from connected devices is synced to all other devices connected to this account. There is no master for sync and you can't specify what to sync within a specific engine like bookmarks.

An absolute pain, a real password manger is a single point of access and doesn't care what browser you use or anything about your work and home profiles.

Man of Honour
Ah the link you posted is in relation to the use case scenario where someone has a work profile and a personal profile as they are using their personal machine for both work and personal stuff. This is not a common case scenario and only a small number of people will be using a browser this way as any workplace that takes security/data integrity etc seriously will be giving users a work computer/remote logon anyway.

The link solution is logical and makes sense, if you want to synchonrise multiple profiles, then you need to create multiple accounts to keep those profile data isolated. You can then switch between accounts and pull-down the data associated with that account (and as such, profile).

For everything else, where one profile is concerned (the vast majority of users), Sync works perfectly and polls everything to the cloud ready for access by any device logged into the same Mozilla account.

I don't know if multi profile sync is now a thing, I have never used multiple profiles on my personal machine.

Just an FYI though, not even Chrome has this ability, and that's been asked by a few since 2015: https://superuser.com/questions/955...-in-chrome-all-synced-with-one-google-account

Full cloud sync and all tabs/history/data/settings etc to the cloud? Yes.

Soldato
This is not a common case scenario and only a small number of people will be using a browser this way

For everything else, where one profile is concerned (the vast majority of users), Sync works perfectly and polls everything to the cloud ready for access by any device logged into the same Mozilla account.

Just an FYI though, not even Chrome has this ability

We live in completely opposite worlds.

Everyone i know needs access to their passwords on any device in any situation (work, home, traveling) that is not browser dependent so it's easier to use a password manager because it's as simple as logging into webmail to access the password vault and you don't need any device or profile syncing.

But hey ho as long as you're happy with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom